• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yaargh!'s first steps. New here and to growing peppers

Here's the current growth of the roots

_MG_2967.JPG

If you want to control plant size, you can prune both the tops and roots. Since you're growing in hydro, root pruning is a doddle.

Keep the plant pruned to the size you want it, it will produce fruit.

Thanks for the advice.

I went ahead and ordered a variety of seeds from THSC. I'm pretty excited. I ordered Trinidad Yellow Scotch Bonnets, Trinidad Scorpion, Yellow 7Pot, Bonda ma Jacques, Chocolate Habanero, Paper Lantern, Fatalii and Peruvian White Habanero seeds. I made the order based on the flavor which Neil in his videos described and look of the peppers. I doubt I'll be eating a lot of Yellow 7Pot or Trinidad Scorpions but I am willing to try. I am excited to taste the passion fruit like taste Neil described the Chocolate Habanero's having as well as the citrus like flavor in the Fatalii peppers. The peppers I am growing I hope will taste quite a bit different from the food store brand. Tired of picking up lack luster unripe jalapeƱos at the store.

Good Stuff

I decided to look up as to why I have purple-ish stems. From what I've read it's sort of like a defense system to fight against photo-inhibition (light stress) sourced from the blue-green spectrum. It also seems to result in the attraction of pollinators.

This might be old news to most of you but it was pretty interesting. I wonder if I had started the plants off under a MH lamp they may have not gone purple in the stems as that light creates a different spectrum of light.

I also decided to add a supplement to this weeks nutrient change. I added some of Bontanicare's "Sweet." I don't know how pepper plants will react to it, maybe it's a waste. I don't know but I guess I'll find out. Maybe next paycheck I'll look into other supplements like an enzyme or some other additive.

Patiently waiting on the THSC order. Oh kay, not patient, I'm pretty excited. I guess it is late in the season but I don't think it'll matter as I am predominately growing inside. I haven't decided if I will attempt to start all the varieties I purchased. I have decided on three though; the chocolate habanero, the Trinidad scorpion and the fatalii.

I'll have to set up a second DWC tote for these new varieties. Maybe a 5 gallon bucket system or two? This might require the consideration of purchasing a dark room. Funny, if I do upgrade my growing area I can somehow imagine a cop showing up, getting all excited then finding out it's just peppers.

Now that's very interesting as to why the purple occurs. All I knew was that it isn't a threat. I like the fact that it also attracts pollinators. Thanks Yaargh!

I've had the exact thoughts about the lights and the cops. My set up is in my living room and man was the light shining from my front windows. I don't think about it much any more though as the lights go out at night.

Best of luck to you.

Appreciate it.

Here's a picture update:

The DWC tote along with my spider plant. Now that I'm growing peppers I went ahead and brought it back to life. This is the first time I've seen flowers on it.
_MG_2976.JPG

Here's where my latest seedlings are growing along with my slowly growing bhut jolokia and habanero
_MG_2979.JPG

Great looking plants!!! Welcome to pepper headum.... You have a very nice set up. Keep us informed. Also great choice in peppers hope you enjoy!!

Thanks. I'd like to remember to get a shot of them before the lights come on. The leaves are always so perky in the morning, the leaves droop quite a bit by the end of the lights-on cycle.

The roots have a grown quite a bit since the last shot, if I remember I'll update.

12/12 light/dark cycle throughout

You may want to increase your light cycle. For peppers optimal light is about 20 on and 4 off according to a few studies

Greetings from Virginia!!

Your initial efforts and pics look great.

You will not be disappointed with THSC seeds, I promise you that. I am growing his orange, chocolate and red habs, morouga red, fatali, and paper lantern. They are all going like gangbusters.

Purple stems do not necessarily mean light-related stress. Purple leaves do....if your leaf tops turn purple, they are getting too much light. For instance, here's a pic of a, I believe, red hab a few days after transitioning from a T12 to a T5. The T5 system is much, much stronger and threw my entire seedling collection into a state of collective shock. Gotta be really careful with T5 HO lamps.

001.jpg

Purple stems just indicate some type of shock or stress, which could include: too much water, recent transplant or up pot, too little or too much fert, and of course, too much light. My experience FWIW is that purple stems indicate nothing other than general stress, and should just be ignored, as green vs. purple stem doesn't seem to have any impact on plant growth over the long term.

You can grow a pepper in almost any size container, but if the container's small, you will just get fewer and smaller pods. IMO peppers "want" a container to grow in that's a typical 5 gallon garden container size, that is, 11-12" wide and 11" deep. Anything smaller than that and they will start yielding less and yielding smaller. As far as going larger, it may help a little, but you quickly hit declining marginal returns. A 7 gallon pot might give you marginally better results, but larger from there will probably make no difference and will be a nightmare to keep dry and unmoldy. The 5 gallon pot is really the best choice if you are seeking maximum yield in the most contained space. A 3 gallon pot will get the job done but you wil not get maximum yield from most pepper plants in that size container.

I have seen posted on here and the web that purple stems are from using Florescent lights. I only use regular 48" shop lights with "kitchen" bulbs in them and my plants have always had purple stems until I put them outside for the summer and then it goes away.

Since I saw someone else do it, I tried it out. I bought some habaneros from the local chain food store; followed the basic instructions on saving the seeds and managed to germinate them. They just dropped their seed shells and are standing tall.

What can I expect from a food store's habanero? It was orange colored but I have doubts that I could call the plant an orange habanero. I just wonder if the suppliers are growing a generic habanero or if they grow particular strains.

The less you diddle with nutrients/fertilizers, the better will be your chile crop.
Chiles are pretty un-engineered plants and don't use a lot of nutrients.
Read a book when you are tempted to fertilize.

Back