beer Yaargh's 1st Brew

A few weeks ago a buddy and I decided to make a brew. It's not done just yet, about another week for the bottles to ready.

We decided to make a Hefeweizen but altered it a bit adding Amber plus it's a bit filtered, so I guess it can't be called a true Hefe. However, it's certainly has that cloudy characteristic. I wonder how it will look come tasting.

We did not buy a recipe kit, but it was an extraxt. We're considering a mash for our next recipe.
2012-01-14_16-17-42_181.jpg

Second fermentation
2012-01-26_14-31-52_902.jpg

All Bottled up.
2012-01-31_15-56-45_447.jpg

It's pretty cloudy, wonder how it'll look in a glass in 7-10 days?
2012-01-31_15-58-56_227.jpg

:rofl: I want to know the ingrediants! I would smash that, or visa versa!

What kind of yeast did you use?

Can't recall the yeast, my friend has the recipe recorded. Off the top of my head we used 1oz of Hallertauer at the start of the boil and then 1/4 of 1oz of Citra every 15 mins.

its like a dunkelweizen

thats what i hated about doing extract brewing

you can never get the intended color of a beer

sucks

Just a FYI Those 1/2 gallon growlers are not meant to hold preasure. I would put them in something that will contain the blast. The clear one looks like a regular 1/2 gallon jug. If it is I would be x-tra wary of it. The brown one looks like an actual growler and may or may not survive carbonation pressures as it is intended to transport already carbonated beer.
I am not trying to scare you but I would never bottle in either of them. Check out Homebrewtalk .com . Friendly people and a wealth of information.

KEEP BREWING! You will love it!

-Chris

Oh yeah, Clear bottles + Sunlight = skunked beer

yea the growler full is already shot

its going to taste like a heineken

and they CAN hold pressure, as long as they are sealed properly at the top and no C02 is leaking out, but like he said i would still be careful

i know a couple of people that carbonate in them, but i know people that have had them explode on them as well

Thanks for the advice. All the beer at the moment is in a dark closet, so we'll see. We used a mini-wort to carbonate. My buddy hasn't had issues with the growlers, can't say how it will taste but I'll be curious in comparing taste between the clear 1/2gal jug and the normal growler/bottles.

This is my first brew so I am expecting a few hiccups.

im sure your buddy HASNT had problems, but he also probably hasnt held a transparent growler up in direct sunlight right after bottling either

Nicely done...and brewed on the stove top as well...bold move. My shoes would stick to the linoleum till the end of time if I brewed wort in my kitchen.

Back