• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Yahualica hot sauce! Where can I buy this in USA?

I just had some relatives return from Mexico. I only had two requests - salsa Yahualica and Tequila Almendrado de Orendain (Los Dos Gordos). The hot sauce is impossible to find state-side - I've been looking for an importer for years. I found a cached picture of it on the web ONCE, on the page of an grocery importer in UK, but it's since vanished and the importer doesn't carry it anymore. If you ever run across a store that carries it... BUY BUY BUY BUY BUY. And let me know where you found it so I don't have to send a mule to San Miguel El Alto to pick it up!

Yahualica is fantastic hot sauce with the most amazing, unique flavor you'll ever try. If you think it's just a Valentina/Tamazula/Huichol clone, think again. I'm going to be eating a lot of it now that I've managed to get my hands on two liter-sized bottles and use it as a reference for my indo-mexican style sauce. It uses peppers it calls Yahualica peppers (which I think may be a variant of Chile De Arbol), but I'm not sure how much of the unique flavor they impart. There's something in the spice blend additive that's tossed in there that I think accounts for much of the unique flavor. It's going to take a while before I can pick out all the flavors, but I'm working on it.

Has anyone tried this? Do you know where I can buy/order it in the USA?

2011-11-20_15-01-55_85.jpg

Yahualica is a region of Jalisco where Chile de Arbols are used a lot. The sauces have a cult following like sriracha style. You can buy many brands of "Salsa de Yahualica" at Mexican grocers. Here's a FB page on the sauce: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Salsas-de-Yahualica/143719568999509

Oh cool! Thanks for the head's up! Yeah, I know Yahualica's a city, my mother grew up not too far from there. This particular variety is particularly tasty I think, but I can't seem to find it anywhere in the US. At least not where I live.

Look on the bottle for a brand name or manufacturer. The Yahualica may just be the style even though it's in big letters. What does it say?

Here's a closer-up of the label. This is the only thing written on the bottle. The bottle's plastic btw, feels very very thin. Almost like an Evian bottle. And they're not air-sealed either. You can unscrew the cap, there's no seal over the opening. Very sketchy packaging, and very tasty. :beer: :lol:

2011-11-21_20-56-40_564.jpg

2011-11-21_20-56-22_912.jpg

Can't seem to find it anywhere! You may try another brand like Encino.

I believe the Yahualica Chile de Abols are named differently because they grow in volcanic soil, like San Marzano tomatoes. So they taste much different (better).

its a thought anyways - Except for trolling in Mexi markets I dont know other that having Miguel have some donkeys bring it over the border

Back