• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yaotzin's Grow progress 2011

Yeah man in uk in a greenhouse but started early under lights to give them a good start which has helped no ends as found another pod and on the same node!! am i blind?!!
fc0a69da.jpg

and hopefully better picture of the other one i put up the other day
7126b742.jpg

Another quick update of my garden taken yet again on my phone! sorry i will take a few better ones as they progress :woohoo:
a77198cd.jpg

also having a go at saving seeds using gelatine capsules as can be seen in a few of these pictures. More pods! Really impressed with the Douglahs as they have a few pods growing now
af6b6c75.jpg

179310bd.jpg

2520b357.jpg

89d19312.jpg

3f29798d.jpg

:dance:

Nice shots and interesting way of getting pure seed. So are they just pill capsules? Where do you get them and do they affect the fruit as it grows in? I see that one is bulging with the flower trying to open up inside of it.

Just Gelatine capsules i got 100 empty ones from amazon (UK) they are size 2, size 4 maybe too small but didnt buy those so i just wet them a bit as they go sticky then push them on when the flower self polinates the chilli will grow and the capsule will just break off and grow as normal they seem good plus 100 caps is 200 flower protectors as even the small side of the capsule is good enough. i will need to go mad with them soon so all my seeds remain true for others and for me next year! :dance:
i will keep updating on this method i also have loads of empty tea bags too but if this works better it seems the easiest solution rather than messing them about trying to get tea bags on them and if the flower drops off i have to start again

Capsule update:
They have been working great so far now been about 4 days and as they are good i added about 14 more half Gel caps to un opened flowers as the first shows a new one on the right and older one on the left.
75d38e30.jpg

this flower is also capped and not split as yet but keeping the flower protected
f29cfe1f.jpg

so far i have them on my Jonahs, Douglahs and maybe one or two butch t's
this one is on a jonah plant
53aa3297.jpg

Will keep an eye on how this goes as so far i am very pleased with the results :woohoo:

well they are in the greenhouse and when i mist them they may get a bit sticky as i do that to help stick them on but when they dry they go solid again as long as they arent messed about with too much when wet they stay intact. its been wet here for the last 4 days and humid in the greenhouse and warm and they seem to be ok so far. i will do a test on a capsule by putting it in water for 24 hours to see what happens as i also had thoughts they may dissapear by the time i get back to them. i will keep you posted man

That's a great idea. I think those gel caps are available here at the pharmacy. I gotta go look.
Thanks for sharing this! :dance:

i found that it didnt really disolve in the water but whent to about 3 times the size but when i tried getting the water out by syringe it got sucked up and obliterated!! so a little water or sparaying shouldnt harm it too much so far they have lasted 5-6 days and not cracked as yet :woohoo: i have been mostly putting them on the flowers just before they open or just so they fit snugly into the size 2 caps, younger flowers will stick as i spray the caps inside to get them sticky. i will be going back to the greenhouse tomorrow so hopefully more pictures then! :dance:

All capsules looking good! got a few more pictures but will have to pull my finger out and take a proper camera as pictures are really bad!
alot of flowers are now open inside the capsules and will soon hopefully self polinate. most decent sized flowers have got cap on them as i have been sticking them on to as many as possible. Last photos are of some chillis for a change! one of my Douglahs which is podding up lots already! really impressed with them!!
016a5689.jpg

dfce3f13.jpg

276dce17.jpg

d7e9443c.jpg

d4b9209d.jpg

b50e6723.jpg

1358e70e.jpg

da624688.jpg

163326f2.jpg

5e1f8172.jpg

:woohoo:

Big update as i got my camera out for a few shots today
First up Douglah flowers and pods forming!!
DPP_0019.jpg

DPP_0020.jpg

DPP_0021.jpg

DPP_0017.jpg

DPP_0006.jpg

And a few capsules i tried to get to see if i can show the flowers open inside:
DPP_0018.jpg

DPP_0012.jpg

DPP_0010.jpg

Plants are looking awesome man. That capsule idea is wicked. Good job!
Cheers man! i have loads of the capsules everywhere! as i am guessing a few may drop off (flowers and or caps)
real test will be when other guys and me of course grow out the seeds but its all part of the fun plus the seeds will be FREE!!! :dance: :woohoo: so not too bad, pods that are growing at the moment are pre caps so will be marked as open polinated but will only have crossed with the Jonahs and vice versa if at all

About 3 feet and has the biggest stem of all my Douglahs and is not the oldest and is pushing out so many pods and flowers and is very impressive and producing as well or better than my yellow 7's from last year!

Back