• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Yelanfam Farms 2019 GLOG

This year I decided I wanted to bulk up my garden and turn it into a hopefully marketable garden. I've bought a rack and lights, seed trays, seed cells, dirt, seeds, weed barrier, shade cloth, and probably more stuff I'm forgetting.

I've probably been given or traded for around half of my pepper seeds. One great person on reddit sent me a huge pack or seeds and I am forever thankful for. A few others on reddit sent me a couple as well. I offered them hot sauce that I made and is finally ready to ship this week. I got here on THP a little late this year, but all ready I have made a few trades with some great people.

I have bought from White Hot Peppers, Lawrence Family Farms, Burpee, Baker Creek, Sow True Seeds, MIGardener I'm sure I'm forgetting some other places.

My plan is to do rows of 25 feet, and have 4, 25 x 25 foot blocks. Most of that peppers, the rest tomatoes cucumbers and beans. I'll also have a bigger section for corn and melons including the Bradford Family Watermelon that I'm super excited about.

I started propagating on January 21, 2019.
My first seedlings appeared on  January 26, 2019.
I up potted the first batch on February 6, 2019.

But on to the peppers, this is my current list of what I have.
aXGvlCu.jpg

Here is a pic of how I start them. I do multiple seeds in an 18 cell tray. It makes it easier to manage at first until I can get out into the greenhouse that I still have to build.
Z5kIZ3Q.jpg

You can see how I use wooden popsicle sticks to hold my labels. I've since changed to includ how many seeds are in the cell as well as tray number on the label.
LpHQWXi.jpg

The Cherry Bombs were the first to pop up.
x2u4k9s.jpg

Brazilian Starfish coming on strong.
aevCeIM.jpg

LpgFeiX.jpg

SPbc36e.jpg

The Yellow Moruga Scorpion has a Tri Cotyledon, I actlly had about 4 of this from this pack of seeds.
InmDKkp.jpg

bHMmlBi.jpg

So far I have about a third of them up potted to 36 cell trays.
7SX9ZD2.jpg

Still got a long way to go. I'll be propagating my tomatoes tomorrow. Hoping for a great summer garden this year!

***Bonus here is some pics of the early seed test I did. These were propagated on December 27, 2018.

dBvC4da.jpg

bASXt1Y.jpg

Got the drip lines laid for the watermelons, squash, cantaloupes, and zucchini.
1GtL9ws.jpg

pAxknpv.jpg

The first plant in the ground this year is a Bradford Watermelon.
Dr3ndH6.jpg

Got a row and third finished with watermelons, will finish the rest tomorrow.
dmFWKTX.jpg

Automated irrigation is by far the best invention in the history of mankind.
l7kvSin.jpg

Also got in my $15 eBay banner. Will get some more with peppers later.
WEV8ZTS.jpg

Got the rest of the melon rows planted, and also the cantaloupes. I have a few extra melons I'll add in somewhere. Today wasn't much fun since I was out there planting with a migraine lingering. Hoping to get the squash and zucchini planted tomorrow. One of my friends is supposed to come over and help me cut the rest of the weed barrier and lay it and the drip tape down. Then I'll be able to start planting peppers and tomatoes. Middle of next week onions, potatoes and seeds for corn, beans, okra, onions, and potatoes should be in the ground as well.

I'll have 3 types of corn, Blue Hopi, Jimmy Red, and Silver Queen. The blue and red I'll attempt to dry and make corn meal with for corn bread, tortillas, breading okra, chicken and fish.

Fun fact I've never successfully grown a watermelon so I'm pumped for the watermelons. I've fairly confident I'll have a great melon season since I'm using weed barrier and drip tape. I also put a slow release fertilizer and limestone in the holes under them. I'll also be supplying nutrients and calcium through the drip system.

I've got several different types of melons so hoping one does great. I'm really wanting the Bradford watermelon to go crazy, it's from South Carolina, and very hard to find fresh. I also have some short season melons called Beni Kodima, they are about the size of a small bowling ball.

Had some help from a friend today we were able to get the row of milds finished in just under 2 hours. I did the shishitos yesterday but so far this is the count on peppers.

16x Shishito
8x Jimmy Nardello
10x Anaheim
6x Poblano
10x Bell California Wonder
10x Bell Sunbright
10x Bell Chocolate Beauty
9x Bell Purple Beauty
11x Jalapeño Lemon Spice
9x Jalapeño Mild

Didn't get a picture because I forgot and it was almost dark, but I will tomorrow.

Hawkins said:
Not much of an update just wanted to show this Shishito. I planted them today, the ground was still pretty wet from the past few days of rain. I'm hoping it is dryer tomorrow and I'm able to put a big dent in what I have left.

7GoG12I.jpg
Looking good. That reminds me that I need to collect the shishito plant from you. I will be coming to fortmill this friday evening. Are you available friday evening?

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

saiias said:
Looking good. That reminds me that I need to collect the shishito plant from you. I will be coming to fortmill this friday evening. Are you available friday evening?

Um a few weeks ago you told me to give it to some other dude on the forums, so I thought you didn't want it anymore. He never messaged me about it, and one of my buddies begged me for it so I gave it to him. I'm sorry, I thought you had changed your mind. I've got some Aji Charipita, Gator Jigsaw F2, and Biquinos though if you would like one of those? I do have one I'm growing to get seeds off of, once it ripens your more than welcome to it, it's in a 1 gallon pot, probably around the middle of June I'll have all the seeds I need from it, and it should be pretty good size then.

Hawkins said:

Um a few weeks ago you told me to give it to some other dude on the forums, so I thought you didn't want it anymore. He never messaged me about it, and one of my buddies begged me for it so I gave it to him. I'm sorry, I thought you had changed your mind. I've got some Aji Charipita, Gator Jigsaw F2, and Biquinos though if you would like one of those? I do have one I'm growing to get seeds off of, once it ripens your more than welcome to it, it's in a 1 gallon pot, probably around the middle of June I'll have all the seeds I need from it, and it should be pretty good size then.

My mistake. I should have said give it only to me or Mitch. Lol.

I will take the plant you have after you got your seeds. BTW I would love to visit your farm and have a look at how things are done on a large scale. Last year I visited Trent's farm and it was huge. Is it OK if I drop by this friday?

saiias said:
My mistake. I should have said give it only to me or Mitch. Lol.

I will take the plant you have after you got your seeds. BTW I would love to visit your farm and have a look at how things are done on a large scale. Last year I visited Trent's farm and it was huge. Is it OK if I drop by this friday?

My mom had surgery today (nothing serious just repaired some knee ligaments.) so I'm taking care of her currently. But once everything is up and running that would not be a problem at all. I've actually had a few people ask to come check it out. So I welcome it, also I still have to get the fertigation installed and more rows of drip tape down for everything that I start from seed out side, it'll be done hopefully next week. Hoping the rain isn't too bad so I can get everything in the ground next week. Then it's smooth sailing until harvest or so I hope.

I'm jealous you got to check out Trents, his makes mine look like a raised bed bought from Walmart garden.

Wasn't able to get anything planted today, but I did grab a quick picture of yesterdays planting.
5z6SyMG.jpg

A nice 100ft row with 2 foot off set spacing. If I had to do it again I would do 3 rows, 2 down the sides, and one offset in the middle for these. But they should have plenty of room so I'll see how they do this year.

Hawkins said:

My mom had surgery today (nothing serious just repaired some knee ligaments.) so I'm taking care of her currently. But once everything is up and running that would not be a problem at all. I've actually had a few people ask to come check it out. So I welcome it, also I still have to get the fertigation installed and more rows of drip tape down for everything that I start from seed out side, it'll be done hopefully next week. Hoping the rain isn't too bad so I can get everything in the ground next week. Then it's smooth sailing until harvest or so I hope.

I'm jealous you got to check out Trents, his makes mine look like a raised bed bought from Walmart garden.
Take care Hawkins. Will meet you once you have everything going..

So I had given up on these this year, I was going to buy some then decided I had enough all ready, they probably wouldn't grow anyway. And today I noticed something coming up.

Ladies and Gentlemen my first pube!
MbvZTPJ.jpg

It's a mini Rocoto I got from Guatemalan Insanity Pepper. Not sure what color, but will keep everyone updated. I'll grow this in a bucket so I can control the heat.

Hawkins said:
So I had given up on these this year, I was going to buy some then decided I had enough all ready, they probably wouldn't grow anyway. And today I noticed something coming up.

Ladies and Gentlemen my first pube!

It's a mini Rocoto I got from Guatemalan Insanity Pepper. Not sure what color, but will keep everyone updated. I'll grow this in a bucket so I can control the heat.

they grow up so fast. :lol:

congrats! I really need to find some seeds and try growing several types of these next year.

BDASPNY said:

they grow up so fast. :lol:

congrats! I really need to find some seeds and try growing several types of these next year.

Good luck this was like the 3rd try starting them, and I had no hope on these. I still haven't got the orange manzano's to pop yet, and they were planted at the same time, so maybe soon. Either way I'm excited I've never tasted a Rocoto before.

Hawkins said:

Good luck this was like the 3rd try starting them, and I had no hope on these. I still haven't got the orange manzano's to pop yet, and they were planted at the same time, so maybe soon. Either way I'm excited I've never tasted a Rocoto before.

I wish you luck as well. maybe third times the charm! 

I haven't acquired any seeds yet. hoping I can trade/buy for some on here.

BDASPNY said:

I wish you luck as well. maybe third times the charm! 

I haven't acquired any seeds yet. hoping I can trade/buy for some on here.

I'll hopefully have more later in the year, depending on how this grow. I can send you some after the season.

Bought some blueberry bushes last fall, kept them in the pots all winter until spring, planted them a few months ago, and well here they are.

aAK9Bug.jpg

Also it's still raining, and I have 3 rows left to plant, along with beans, and corn. It's supposed to rain tomorrow, and then it's 10 days of sun shine, well according to the weather app it is at least. Hoping to be finished with everything this weekend.

Back