• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow 7pod help

I overwintered a bunch of plants from last year and had 4 out of 5 Y7's make it through and start growing again this spring. Only lost one Y7 from last year. All of them are THSC stock.
The problem is, 3 of the 4 look great. Very healthy, good growth so far. Good color etc. They have all been given the exact same treatment, and are all within a couple of feet from each other. The fourth however, well, you'll see the pics below in a minute. All of these plants did great last year and had no issues like this.

Some background:
Soil ph is about 6.8ish (Kind of hard to get an exact using the Ph meters I can afford, but usually I've found the type I have to be accurate enough). The soil is all the same underneath it, the sick one just had a little less top mulch at the time of pictures than the others, but all were fine in this location last year.
They are all watered the same time and amounts, they all get a light spraying of Epsom salts/ Aspirin every other week, and also a fish Emulsion, alfalfa and kelp tea on the weeks they don't get the Mag/aspirin spray. I have 108 plants of different types right now that all get the same treatment. All of them are doing great except for this Y7. The sick one is a little smaller than basketball size, and the healthy ones are roughly the same size as the sick one.

Any way, on to picture time cause every one likes that. If any one has an idea of what is causing this one issues I'd love to hear it. I've also noticed that when I am inspecting this particular sicky, that the branches seem to "pop off" really easy with little pressure. Like the plant wants to get rid of this weird growth somehow.

Sicky:
IMGP3710.jpg

Close up:
IMGP3712.jpg

The tearing and leaf damage you see is not pest/bug caused. It is from whatever is causing the odd growth. you barely touch the leaves and they come apart and tear like this.

The two next to it that are fine:
IMGP3713.jpg

IMGP3713.jpg

Thanks again for any ideas.

I would not give up on it yet. I have had similar looking overwintered that came out of it and finally darkened up.

Good luck with your season.

Mike

Don't worry, there will be no giving up on it until it becomes a rotted stump. Just something about nursing back the sick that is kind of fun.
This sick one was also the fastest to come out of Dormancy this year. Just exploded with growth, but it looked just like this from the get go. The camera doesn't get the color exactly correct. it is more yellow in person than it looks here in the virtual garden.

might try fish impulsion, spraying the leaves!! pulled mine out last year!!

They get the fish emulsion on the off weeks between the Mag/aspirin spray. I use it in a Tea that is poured over the plants giving them a foliar feed, as well as getting it into the soil.
To make the Tea I line 5 gallon buckets with paint strainers (Think Giant Tea bag) and put in two handfuls of pure alfalfa pellets, fish emulsion, ground up dried kelp leaves, sometimes some super thrive, and a couple tbs of Blackstrap. I let that sit for 2-3 days with aerator stones in them and then pour it over the plants in the late afternoon once the sun is not directly shining on them.
Everything really takes off about 2 days after I give them the Tea. I figure this one has maybe 2-3 months before it gets yanked and another Y7 from seed goes into it's place.

okay, so you can go through the barrage of, try this, try this, try that, try the other thing or just move on, it's one plant. dig into your seed pool and plant another.
you should see my graveyard of plants that i thought were...making it. overwintered plants die, oh ya, sometimes they don't produce the way you think they would in the second year or third year and you waste your time on one plant. give it water and if it dies, so be it. plant another as a back up. and this is perfect timing as you still have time for the new plant to produce by novembre.

I've got a Chile de Arbol that had some horrible growth characteristics after being overwintered (knotty, warted leaves and some crumpled up growth). Now that part is still showing those signs, but the rest of the plant is looking fantastic. I'm not sure what the story there is, but I hope your plant has an equally happy story.

Good luck!

okay, so you can go through the barrage of, try this, try this, try that, try the other thing or just move on, it's one plant. dig into your seed pool and plant another.
you should see my graveyard of plants that i thought were...making it. overwintered plants die, oh ya, sometimes they don't produce the way you think they would in the second year or third year and you waste your time on one plant. give it water and if it dies, so be it. plant another as a back up. and this is perfect timing as you still have time for the new plant to produce by novembre.

It's getting to late into our season here to start seeds and expect them to do anything for me. Due to the heat here all summer long causing flower drop the plants have to be fairly mature and podding up a lot earlier than some other states. We've already had a few days where my thermometer out back hit 97*. Thankfully this week we're getting a cool down and some rain. Even if I pull it and replace it with one of the seedlings I have inside I won't get many peppers off it. I'm already slightly behind where I want to be with plant size this year. We had a prolonged frost period into march that stunted growth. Usually last frost is Feb 15th here.

I also gave away most of my seeds last winter and only saved a few for next year in case I have a total crop failure and can't collect from this years harvest.

I've got a Chile de Arbol that had some horrible growth characteristics after being overwintered (knotty, warted leaves and some crumpled up growth). Now that part is still showing those signs, but the rest of the plant is looking fantastic. I'm not sure what the story there is, but I hope your plant has an equally happy story.

Good luck!

That's what I'm hoping. I will probably give it a trim next week and see what it does with any new growth. I was just out looking and the lower stems are a nice green color.
I have a Trini perfume that had some funky yellow growth for the first few leaves and then it snapped out of it and looks perfect.

give it some weak epsom salt and calcium should green up in couple of days. spray all the leaves with a fine spray. works for me.

i think you got some fungal issue
and should use a fungicide of some sort
maybe a neem spray every week?

looking at it again it might be also a micronute
issue along with the fungal (maybe potassium?) :crazy:
you been using some kelp maybe try
changing the recipe a little for micro boostings

It's not a fungal thing, I've already hit it with Neem once to keep the spring aphids away from it, and in person it is easy to see it's not bugs, fungus, or bacterial. It grew like this right from the get go after coming out of dormancy. All the leaf damage you see is because the leaves are so tender the wind shreds them, then they dry up around the tears and die.
It is definitely a deficiency of some sort though, I just can't figure out which one as I've never had to deal with it before.
I'm going to give it a foliar Calcium spray down this weekend and see if that helps it any.

It very well could just be a dying plant that just doesn't want to grow right, but after it's performance last year I refuse to give up on it until it's nothing but a stick.

Well, it looks like it's coming out of it's funk. The new growth is a good green color, and the branches are starting to firm up a bit.
The leaves are also not so delicate anymore.

Good news! Was it the Ca?

I don't think so . I didn't hit it with any Ca, and just added some more gypsum to the surrounding soil this morning so I know it isn't what has worked on it. It was probably just having a hard time coming out of dormancy combined with needing some more food. We'll see in another couple of weeks how it does. If the branches stay weekly attached though it'c coming out of the ground to make room for another.

Back