• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Yellow Bhut Heat

Ok so I am a chili noob but under my belt are the following medium to superhot peppers: Trinidad Moruga Scorpion, Reaper, Chocolate Hab, Orange Hab, Paper Lantern Hab, White Hab, Yaki brown and now the Yellow Bhut. So I am wondering what everyone thinks about the yellow bhut? I was looking for a scoville rating on this pepper and some say 400k some say 800k~ For me this pepper ( at least compared to a Reaper or TMS ) Feels a lot hotter than I expected. Maybe 25% hotter than the Yaki brown(which rates 700k~) and prolly 65%-75% as hot as a TMS or Reapers that I have tried.

Flavor wise I am not a fan of the slightly bitter floral flavors some peppers have and this pepper had a very light hint of that. But what I did like about the pepper was the heat profile and how thick walled this pepper was. I am used to the paper thin walls of trinidad style superhots. So it had a lot of water content which was nice.

What do you all think about this pepper?

Heat 7/10
Flavor 6/10

a pepper can "feel" more hot depending on the capsaicinoid content. 

sounds like you need to try some more bhuts to get a feeling. Try a fatalii as well those can fell "just as hot".

for me anyway anything over 1 mil is hard to tell the difference.. it just hurts.

sorry nothing to say about yellow bhut specifically lol

juanitos said:

sounds like you need to try some more bhuts to get a feeling. Try a fatalii as well those can fell "just as hot".

for me anyway anything over 1 mil is hard to tell the difference.. it just hurts.

Nothing to say about yellow bhut either, but I agree fataliis do seem way hotter that what the scoville ratings show. They feel as hot or hotter than my red bhuts.

juanitos said:

Alrighty thanks for the input!

OP,

I have been munching on a raw Yellow Bhut the past two days.  I happen to have a reaper in the house, too.  To directly answer, I found about the same as you.  Hint of floral which goes along with the c. chinense and a good amount of heat, but manageable.  I believe peppers will vary in heat so it is not uncommon to see a range as you suggest.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Bhut is slightly over 1M units not what you listed at 4-800K.  The CR is supposed to be 2.2M.  I tasted both tonight again, and the Reaper is way hotter.  At least the pepper pods I have here tonight which both come from impeccable provenance.  

I agree with Juanitos, try the Fatalli.  I have that pepper in the garden and it has more flavor to me than the Bhut.  Now a lot of people love the Bhut flavor profile so you will have to make up your own mind.

For me personally, it boils down to this....  What to grow in my garden or buy from the board.  You can only consume (grow/buy) so many yellow medium to super hot peppers. So, yellow Bhut doesn't make my cut.  It is a matter of too many peppers to choose from and not enough garden space, time, money, etc. So, Fatalii or Devil's Tongue plus Bahamian Goat (peachy not yellow) and maybe a MoA Scotch Bonnet. That is all the room I have for hot hot yellow peppers.   Then there are always Chocolates, Red, etc.  Just my .02¢  - ymmv.

Jim

i found the yellow bhut boring, so i won't be growing it again. i was snacking on them right off the plant. bonda ma jacques has now joined its place next to the yellow bhut. the yellow bhut was no where near 1 million scoville, mine would have been less than 100K. stock came from pepperlover. waiting for yellow habanero to ripen to see how it will fair in taste and heat.

fatalii, yellow 7 pot, yellow bonnets, quintisho, cumari, datil are keepers.

if everything goes well, i hope to have yellow devils tongue for 2015.

Burning Colon said:
i found the yellow bhut boring, so i won't be growing it again. i was snacking on them right off the plant. bonda ma jacques has now joined its place next to the yellow bhut. the yellow bhut was no where near 1 million scoville, mine would have been less than 100K. stock came from pepperlover. waiting for yellow habanero to ripen to see how it will fair in taste and heat.

fatalii, yellow 7 pot, yellow bonnets, quintisho, cumari, datil are keepers.

if everything goes well, i hope to have yellow devils tongue for 2015.
Ya this was definitely hotter than any variety habanero I have had it is has to be at least 400k+ .  

Eeeeeeee! said:
OP,

I have been munching on a raw Yellow Bhut the past two days.  I happen to have a reaper in the house, too.  To directly answer, I found about the same as you.  Hint of floral which goes along with the c. chinense and a good amount of heat, but manageable.  I believe peppers will vary in heat so it is not uncommon to see a range as you suggest.  Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the Bhut is slightly over 1M units not what you listed at 4-800K.  The CR is supposed to be 2.2M.  I tasted both tonight again, and the Reaper is way hotter.  At least the pepper pods I have here tonight which both come from impeccable provenance.  

I agree with Juanitos, try the Fatalli.  I have that pepper in the garden and it has more flavor to me than the Bhut.  Now a lot of people love the Bhut flavor profile so you will have to make up your own mind.

For me personally, it boils down to this....  What to grow in my garden or buy from the board.  You can only consume (grow/buy) so many yellow medium to super hot peppers. So, yellow Bhut doesn't make my cut.  It is a matter of too many peppers to choose from and not enough garden space, time, money, etc. So, Fatalii or Devil's Tongue plus Bahamian Goat (peachy not yellow) and maybe a MoA Scotch Bonnet. That is all the room I have for hot hot yellow peppers.   Then there are always Chocolates, Red, etc.  Just my .02¢  - ymmv.

Jim

I got the 400k-800k from a google search that indicated that yellow bhuts range a few hundred thousand lower than the hottest red bhuts.

Yes, you are correct, sir!   Thank you for that clarification  :doh: Are you growing yellow Bhut? It did seem to be milder than others I have tasted compared to the likes of yellow MS, etc.  I take it you won't be growing these?

BC, I did get some Bonda Ma Jaques seeds recently from JungleRain.  So probably have to expand my thoughts on what I said earlier about yellow peppers.

Jim

Eeeeeeee! said:
Yes, you are correct, sir!   Thank you for that clarification  :doh: Are you growing yellow Bhut? It did seem to be milder than others I have tasted compared to the likes of yellow MS, etc.  I take it you won't be growing these?

BC, I did get some Bonda Ma Jaques seeds recently from JungleRain.  So probably have to expand my thoughts on what I said earlier about yellow peppers.

Jim
I am not, I got peppers from Brian at Ghostpepperstore. I might try growing these in the spring, but I didn't get labels with the random box I received so only his guesses on what I have. There probably without a doubt yellow bhuts but can't say they are to 100% because they weren't labeled when picked. I have one more to eat I will prolly take a pic.

Back