• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Yellow Bhut Jolokia

I've been looking all over the Web for opinions on the Yellow Bhut. I've searched this forum several times with no success. Has anyone here actually grown this variety? Information seems sparse, but I've only seen two video reviews; one by Neil at the HippySeedCompany who said it's about 2/3 (IIRC) the heat of the regular Bhut Jolokia, and one other by someone else who claims it's fruity and citrusy. I've heard that "citrusy" description before about yellow peppers, but I have yet to make that connection myself with any I've tried. It must be very new or something. Is it stable? A hybrid?

I've been looking all over the Web for opinions on the Yellow Bhut. I've searched this forum several times with no success. Has anyone here actually grown this variety? Information seems sparse, but I've only seen two video reviews; one by Neil at the HippySeedCompany who said it's about 2/3 (IIRC) the heat of the regular Bhut Jolokia, and one other by someone else who claims it's fruity and citrusy. I've heard that "citrusy" description before about yellow peppers, but I have yet to make that connection myself with any I've tried. It must be very new or something. Is it stable? A hybrid?

Here's a thread with some photos/info - http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/18080-yellow-bhut-jolokia-amazing/

How the heck did I miss that, with Yellow Bhut Jolokia right in the topic title? Thanks, about to read it now. The pics look good so far.

Damn... looks like this site's "search" feature needs some serious overhauling! I got yellow *everything* but Bhut Jolokia. Thanks, there'll probably be information that can help in some of those as well.

Yup I'm growing yellow bhuts, and plan to cross them with fatalii's.

Here they are, in a little closet, growing under neon lights.

156777_182348461792210_100000511712221_622686_3750685_n.jpg

Damn... looks like this site's "search" feature needs some serious overhauling! I got yellow *everything* but Bhut Jolokia. Thanks, there'll probably be information that can help in some of those as well.

The site search stinks, I always just use Google and limit the results to this site.

My neighbor grew the yellow bhut last year and I tasted a few + used them in chili. would agree with the citrusy opinion. I used 2 or 3 in a pot of chili and it definalty had a strong citrusy flavor. very tasty.

Yup I'm growing yellow bhuts, and plan to cross them with fatalii's.
They seem so close already is there a particular reason you want to cross these? I don't think the yellow/lemon bhuts are stable so it might not be so easy.
There's actually theories that the fatalii was one of the original parents of the bhut

They seem so close already is there a particular reason you want to cross these? I don't think the yellow/lemon bhuts are stable so it might not be so easy.
There's actually theories that the fatalii was one of the original parents of the bhut

For no particular reason other than personal enjoyment and out of curiosity.

I had a super harvest from the fataliis grown last season, and to my surprise all of the seeds that were collected from the pods germinated QUICKLY, and without exception. YAY !

So I thought it might be neat to have a plant that has a similar crazy yield but packs a bit more punch. Of course the results would be unpredictable and by the same token the reverse characteristics would show up in the next generation. We'll see.

I did not know the fatalii's are considered to be original bhut ancestors by some, but it
weould seem a plausible theory, given the similar shape of the pods.

Thanks for the info.

At first it was called lemon bhut and was "a carfully crossed hybrid" and then it became yellow bhut a "stable mutant" :(
From what I've seen on comments on different forums, they don't appear to be stable and true-breeding, likely just another bhut cross

At first it was called lemon bhut and was "a carfully crossed hybrid" and then it became yellow bhut a "stable mutant" :(
From what I've seen on comments on different forums, they don't appear to be stable and true-breeding, likely just another bhut cross
Yeah, I read that topic earlier. It was interesting... until I got to the part you just described. By the time I got to the end of the topic, the Yellow Bhut was removed from my list... :eh: I'll just grow the regular Bhut Jolokia and the Chocolate variant... it almost sounds like its "creator" doesn't even know what it is. Sounds to me like a quick and dirty cash-in. :confused:

I know you said you would pass on growing the yellows, but I have a few yellow Bhut seeds you can have. I am not growing them this year. If you want to try them, pm me your address.

Wow... your just not going to let that go are you? Incredible

The Yellow Bhuts in the photos taken by cmpman1974 are of chiles grown on our farm. I think the "peppergrowingman" posted a link to it. I grew about 120 of these Yellow Bhuts last year in isolation and had the best majority of them turn out like this. I have seeds, so, If some of the members on this forum have not talked you out of growing them, Let me know. I have saved the seed from the pods that were choice and would be happy to help. These are being sold in plant form by Janie @ Cross Country Nurseries this year for the first time. She is a very saavy, reputable chile plant seller. www.chileplants.com ...... I would take what a few here say with a grain of salt and grow them if you are inclined, I do and have not been sorry. SUPER HOT and very flavorful. Hope this helps Dave @ The Chile Farm (Asiasgarden)

I've heard that another big nursery in the USA also found yellow bhuts appear in their plants. I think it was from the same seed source that Dave got his from? No expert but just some info I'd heard.

I've heard that another big nursery in the USA also found yellow bhuts appear in their plants. I think it was from the same seed source that Dave got his from? No expert but just some info I'd heard.
That is partly correct Candice!! Cross Country Nurseries (to whom you are refering) and I, both got our seed from the chile pepper institute the same year. Janie had about the same percentage of Yellows show up in her crop as I did that first year....Dave @ The Chile Farm (nice to see you here Candice!!)

Yes that is what I had heard from Jim and at the start he didn't believe your story I think until he heard that from Cross Country.
Anyway I bet you are happy you entered your Dragon Dust to the hot pepper awards!

Yes that is what I had heard from Jim and at the start he didn't believe your story I think until he heard that from Cross Country.
Anyway I bet you are happy you entered your Dragon Dust to the hot pepper awards!
Yes!! Jim R is who you are refering to I think. He bought plants from her that same year that I first grew the seed from CPI.

We were thrilled about the Dragons Dust winning 2 second place awards this year!! And, our BBQ Sauce won 1st for the Smoky catagory AND best overall Sauce!! I was so stoked I couldn't sleep the night I found out. We also had a nice review of all three sauces on I Love It Spicy.com we have a FB page for The Brothers BBQ Sauce too.

DDD: ChilePlants.com is where I am ordering my plants, and I did plan on ordering the Yellow Bhut from them.

Once this thing is proven, then I'll reconsider buying. With lack of money and space and the likely chance of moving this year, I can't grow everything--and with the Yellow Bhut's cloudy history so far, I'll wait to get it. Some real scientific testing to determine whether it is really a mutated Bhut or an unstable cross (as you seemed to allude to in one of the Yellow Bhut topics I've read) is needed IMO to end the confusion. If results confirm that it is, in fact, a genetic mutation of a Bhut, then it may just change my stance and persuade me to try it... but for now, I'm awaiting more information, even if all there is is opinions from others who have grown it.

Part of the reason I ditched the Yellow Bhut, besides the confusion, is that when I think Bhut I think extreme heat, and the regular Bhut Jolokia and Naga Morich are the standards all other "Bhuts" should be judged by for heat IMO. I've read a few people's comments that it is not quite as hot as the regular Bhut or even Chococolate Bhut (Neil has basically said something to this effect this in his Chilli Test for it as well). So Bhut and Chocolate Bhut it is, at least this year. That can change in the next few years though, once some facts are straightened out.

Yes!! Jim R is who you are refering to I think. He bought plants from her that same year that I first grew the seed from CPI.

We were thrilled about the Dragons Dust winning 2 second place awards this year!! And, our BBQ Sauce won 1st for the Smoky catagory AND best overall Sauce!!
It was Jim D. but anyway.

Hey if you feel like donating one of your award winning products to my charity auctions for the flood victims in Aus that would be great ;) You can check it out here http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/19587-awesome-chilli-auctions/ . Salsa Lady is accepting donations from the USA and passing them on.

Sorry for the little hijacking of your thread UltraZelda64, but its for a good cause.

Good luck with whatever you decide to grow this year. If you are after extreme heat then the red Bhut is def hotter than the yellow.

Back