• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Yellow Bhut Jolokia

[Wow... your just not going to let that go are you? Incredible]

Why would I stop discussing the truth and explaining to people what they are really going to get? Nothing personal but this is a discussion forum about chiles you know!
Even Gerald at chileseeds has stopped insisting they are rare true-breeding mutants.

Now this I can live with
"We hope this Yellow Bhut Jolokia is a natural variant of Bhut Jolokia the world’s hottest chilli originating in Assam in North East India"
http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm

Sorry for the little hijacking of your thread UltraZelda64, but its for a good cause.
Oh, I don't mind. I found out everything I wanted to know already in this thread, and then some. Some interesting stuff.

Have you tried a Fatalii? They are fruity/citrusy with an amazing flavour and pretty good on the heat too. One of my favourites!
Unfortunately, no. I grew a plant last year, but early in the season something snapped its stem just when it was beginning to grow a whole bunch of buds (probably 20--it would've been a hell of a producer!). Then later in the year, bacterial spot got it pretty bad. I grew a Devil's Tongue, and while that one didn't get any snapped stems, it didn't produce too many peppers. I will be attempting it again this year, and it's going on the porch, away from the animals, wind and rain.

Not sure if you are saying that you are growing Devils Tongue or Fatalii again but if you can fit one more plant in it's definately worthwhile!
Yes, I will be growing both of them again, actually. I've just heard too many good things about them, and I got no Fataliis and very few Devil's Tongues last year, so I want to try them again this year in a different setting: containers on the porch. The Fatalii was one of my most anticipated peppers last year.

Oh, I don't mind. I found out everything I wanted to know already in this thread, and then some. Some interesting stuff.

Unfortunately, no. I grew a plant last year, but early in the season something snapped its stem just when it was beginning to grow a whole bunch of buds (probably 20--it would've been a hell of a producer!). Then later in the year, bacterial spot got it pretty bad. I grew a Devil's Tongue, and while that one didn't get any snapped stems, it didn't produce too many peppers. I will be attempting it again this year, and it's going on the porch, away from the animals, wind and rain.

From all of the snapped stems I am reading about it seems to me that you guys arnt giving your plants enough silica. Silica builds strong stems and is one of the big 4.

From all of the snapped stems I am reading about it seems to me that you guys arnt giving your plants enough silica. Silica builds strong stems and is one of the big 4.
I grew around 50 plants last year--~35 in the garden, and the rest in pots on the front porch.The Fatalii, in the garden, was the only one with a snapped stem. It was the main stem, and it was thick. It survived some wicked wind previously with no problem. On top of that, there were a few cats outside (always running around chasing the strays away), groundhogs, etc., so I seriously doubt that it was a nutrient deficiency.

I also tried to grow a few sunflowers in that garden behind the peppers, and the previous year that particular garden was all sunflowers, and both years I've seen snapped sunflower stems. I blame the groundhogs for the sunflowers (they hide under the porch nearby one of the sunflowers I planted in another location), but I'm not completely sure about the Fatalii; could've been cats chasing each other away. All I know, is that it's annoying trying to grow sunflowers around here because of the groundhogs (I hate those things... damn rodents) but for the most part they don't seem to car much for peppers. Otherwise, my garden would have been demolished. And there's a whole family of the damn things around here; I see them quite often, when I'm outside in the warmer months or just looking out the window.

My first year was the only time I witnessed what was undoubtedly a snapped stem as the direct result of wind damage. It was a cayenne (decent stem at the time, but they were weak when I got them) and it was caused by a lawn chair blowing over and tumbling across the plant. LOL. That particular plant did quite well once I staked it and taped the main stem back together.

I believe it. Your BBQ sauce was absolutely INCREDIBLE. I went through it so fast. :) One of the best I ever had.

Chris

[quote name='Dave's Dragon Dust' timestamp='1294822545' post='413628']

[/quote]

I believe it. Your BBQ sauce was absolutely INCREDIBLE. I went through it so fast. :) One of the best I ever had.

Chris

Thanks Chris! We were really excited about the award. I'm glad you liked it. Wow, continuing "deep thoughts" and discussion about the Yellow Bhut. The negative crap from 1 or 2 makes me wish I had kept it to myself. But, people like this crop up in life, so we just have to press on. I really appreciated your post with the photos, I think that helped clear things up for many of those inclined to be positive. Those who want to continue on negatively will keep bringing up the past and if thats how they roll, gotta let em roll! I have also gotten good reports from several who grew them last year. So we will keep moving forward with it. I'm going to do another 120 or so this year as well. We have a new farm that wants to participate in chile growing so I can grow more varieties under isolated conditions. Just about to get started with the seed you sent me as well. Can't wait!! Good to hear from you as always.....Thanks again

Dave I just picked some more of my Yellow Bhut yesterday from you (they are just producing fruit now). Most of them are yellow but one or two plants they turn yellow and then go orange. Did this happen to you at all?

Dave I just picked some more of my Yellow Bhut yesterday from you (they are just producing fruit now). Most of them are yellow but one or two plants they turn yellow and then go orange. Did this happen to you at all?
out of the 120, we had a couple that had an orange color and about 5-6 that were red. I kind of expected that could happen considering they grew up in the midst of the red bhut field. But for 95% of this past years crop to stay true was good. I have saved seed from the purest looking ones nor this years crop. I have plenty too. Email me if you would like some, be happy to send some off to you. a couple more years and we'll have this down. Thanks for the input.....Dave

Are you going to grow out the orange strain and see if it is stable or just concentrate on the yellow? Although those pods weren't as good looking as the yellow and were a bit smaller. But my plants are also small as well so who knows. What were yours like?
Thanks for your reply.

Are you going to grow out the orange strain and see if it is stable or just concentrate on the yellow? Although those pods weren't as good looking as the yellow and were a bit smaller. But my plants are also small as well so who knows. What were yours like?
Thanks for your reply.
They were not true to form as far as the texture, it was slightly smoother than the true bhut. Same twisting and size....No I won't be messing with them. They are in "The Dust"

I got seeds from you last year, and the yellow bhuts were certainly yellow, but if you told me they were fatalii's I would have believed you.

[Wow... your just not going to let that go are you? Incredible]

Why would I stop discussing the truth and explaining to people what they are really going to get? Nothing personal but this is a discussion forum about chiles you know!
Even Gerald at chileseeds has stopped insisting they are rare true-breeding mutants.

Now this I can live with
"We hope this Yellow Bhut Jolokia is a natural variant of Bhut Jolokia the world’s hottest chilli originating in Assam in North East India"
http://www.chileseeds.co.uk/hot_chili_pepper_seed.htm
You seem dead set on disqualifying this chile as a Bhut...did you do the same with all the other yellow chiles that have appeared on the planet?...Scorpions? Seven Pots? Habaneros? Here maybe this will help.... It's YELLOW, It's shaped like a BHUT, It has the texture of a BHUT, It is hot as hell like a BHUT, It is the same width as BHUT....Same length. What to say?? Hmm wait, I know, I David Stehnike, herby go on record saying the following: "I hope this Yellow Bhut Jolokia is a natural variant of Bhut Jolokia the world’s hottest chilli originating in Assam in North East India" Can you live with THAT?....there, Now it's official. These are my true feelings. This is what I hope to be factual. If it isn't, what the hell is it? Maybe you can tackle that. When you, after all this time still refer to it as a "lemon/yellow" bhut, it makes me think you are less interested in "discussing" as you are in "convincing" everyone else that it doesn't exist. Sad really. Nothing personal but this is a discussion forum about chiles. I think this is a "Yellow Chile That Looks Amazingly Like A Bhut" It grew up out of a bunch of Bhut seeds that came from a University that specializes in growing Bhut's. Maybe it's time to take it up with them. Again, nothing personal, my discussion only seems like I'm all fired up!! No Pun Intended :flamethrower: Yellow Bhut Jolokia - A "Natural Variant"

5133314603_26a04366f1_m.jpg
Test...a Yellow Bhut From Dave's a Little small But I did get some twice as big and yes they were hot..The people I had taste them have never heard of Bhut Jolokia's they all said the same thing about the pepper #1 very hot to hot for them #2 It had a sweet fruity taste..Hope this paste works

i'm with potawie on this. i don't think dave understands that you can tell whether something is or isn't a hybrid when f2s are grown out.
i've seen pictures of f2 yellow bhuts and there is a noticeable variance in pod shape, size and growing habit. what does that tell you? it's most likely a hybrid.

nothing wrong with hybrids. except that you should label them as such when growing them out until they're stable (9 generations or so). then you get get to come up with a pretty name for them if you'd like, but you really shouldn't until then.

keep the dialogue elevated. and let's have some accountability for the stuff we say over here, there's a lot of new people always coming into this forum, and we shouldn't be giving out inaccurate data when we can actually be a tad more specific and spread the knowledge all around.

Back