• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

yellow crookneck squash

Hey guys, I keep wanting to grow yellow c/n squash down here in S. FL. My first grow way back when was good but ever since they keep getting attacked by bugs and worms. Mainly the green ones with the white lines going down their sides, cant remember their names atm. What do you guys do to keep the bugs at bay? I have DE and was thinking just dusting the crap out of them constantly or should I use insecticidal soap? I'm leery about using anything with water on them because of their easy viability to mold on their leaves, bad enough they are exposed to 70% humidity day in and out.
Thanks for any help guys
Angie :)

I've pretty much given up on growing anything related to squash or cucumbers in Florida due to the prevalence of pickleworm.  Last year was the final straw as I harvested some beautiful cukes, brought them back inside to make a salad and with the second slice... worm bits all over the cutting board.  It's a shame too because they are so easy to grow.

Thanks guys, and thanks to admins for moving this for me. I agree with you King. Had some beautiful squash 2 years ago and saw some holes in them. I soaked them first and low and behold worms started coming out of them and was a real downer. Have a plant started now but the females aren't lasting long enough to open for fert. I DE'd them and still found some worms on it after but fewer. I so love fresh grown yellow squash.

Thanks again guys
Angie :)

I've toyed with the idea of making a "cucumber only" raised bed that has a full mesh removable cover to try and prevent egg laying moths from getting access to the plants after sunset.  Perhaps next year, this year is all about the chiles.

Back