• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellow Rocotos

2ceneba.jpg

Today I finally harvested the Yellow Rocoto peppers. I grow several varieties of peppers but these are by far my favorite. They will be made into a paste that is used in several Peruvian dishes especially their soups. These are the more rare Yellow Rocotos (in Spanish rocotos amarillos). The rocotos are my favorites but they are difficult to grow here in Missouri. They need a longer growing season or a cooler Summer. They are native of the Andes in Peru where it doesnt get all that cold but not all that hot either. I have to finish these off in my greenhouse every year. I have found out that you can start the seeds indoors around Nov or Dec and they will make. You just need a full mature flowering plant by early May. I started these in March which obiously too late. They will not make pods during the hot Summer months. Only in early Spring (if you have them ready by then) or by finishing them out in a greehouse.

Have a great flavor with a pretty good burn. A little less hot that a yellow hab perhaps? Not much difference in heat but the flavor is much better.

They look great congrats. I will be growing red + yellow Rocoto and Canario next year, looking at your Rocoto I wish the new season would start already

2ceneba.jpg

Today I finally harvested the Yellow Rocoto peppers. I grow several varieties of peppers but these are by far my favorite. They will be made into a paste that is used in several Peruvian dishes especially their soups. These are the more rare Yellow Rocotos (in Spanish rocotos amarillos).
I wish my Yellow Manzana was gearing up for that sort of harvest. Do you know any of the specific about the origin of your Yellow Rocoto strain?

thanx! just wish they were easy to grow like C Chinese
I have a Locato plant that is outperforming the C. Chinense plants. Keeping a lid on the amount of Nitrogen given to the plant was probably the key to success.

Harry, I know the exact location of my strain. I got them from Peru while I was down there last time in 2009. These were grown between the town of Huacho and Sayan which is North of Lima. Been to Peru around 10-12 times (forgot how many). They have lots of neat stuff down there

Would you be willing to give up a couple of seeds? I absolutely love Rocoto's - My Peruvian friends like to stuff them and use them in soups - one of my favorite dishes is Aji de Gallina

Send a SASE and I can send you a few seeds.

Brian Sherrill
RR 5 Box 522
Ava, MO 65608

Would you be willing to give up a couple of seeds? I absolutely love Rocoto's - My Peruvian friends like to stuff them and use them in soups - one of my favorite dishes is Aji de Gallina
My Peruvian wife made that I think it was last week. She cooks Peruvian and I cook BBQ so we have about everything covered lol

Are those all harvested from one plant? I ask because I have an Orange that I planted a little late so it dropped many flowers.

My Peruvian wife made that I think it was last week. She cooks Peruvian and I cook BBQ so we have about everything covered lol
We were at a party Saturday our friend made the addictive Peruvian corn nuts too OMG were those good with a few beers

and I'll get that out asap

Are those all harvested from one plant? I ask because I have an Orange that I planted a little late so it dropped many flowers.
These were. I have 2 more that arent ripe yet and a few left on that plant that also needs to ripen.
We were at a party Saturday our friend made the addictive Peruvian corn nuts too OMG were those good with a few beers

and I'll get that out asap
They call that "canchita" (sp). Its peruvian style popcorn. Wish we could get that style of corn to do that around here.

YES that was it ! there is a market nearby that she buys it from - she made a ton of it and there was none left by the end of the night.

Very nice looking.

Is the difference between the yellow and orange subtle? It may be the photo, but the color seems close.

Here is a photo of one I picked up from the store the other day for salsa. Nice size.
Edit: Now that I see the two photos in the same thread, I can see yours being more yellow.

Do you have a photo of the plant to post too? I always like to see the source if possible. Thanks.
manzanoxl.jpg

Very nice looking.

Is the difference between the yellow and orange subtle? It may be the photo, but the color seems close.
These are the only ones other than the reds I have found down there. I have heard them all talk about a brown or purple rocoto but never found any. They may be grown in the more remote areas of the Andes. Every littel region in the Andes has their own type of tater they grow so I would say it would also be possible for peppers as well. My father in law has told me about several peppers he has seen before but are difficult to find. On an interesting note I grow the Lemon drop which is supposed to be from Peru but nobody I know down there has ever seen them. They all saw them last year when they come here to the US and I was growing them. Last time I was down there I brought seeds of Bhuts, Congo Trinidads and Fatallis. They grew them and really like them except for the Bhuts. They said that was "mucho caliente" LOL

Being from Austin TX, hard not to mention the Horns on your avatar and sig!
Think ya may have a few extra SASE seeds for an Austinite? :party:

Speaking of Peruvian ajies:
Since I can't seem to be able to send a PM, I'll just post my inquiry here, hope you don't mind!?

I am interested in growing authentic Peruvian Aji Panca. I noticed that you have grown them in the past and mentioned they handle the heat in your area quite well. I am assuming you may have brought your seeds back from one of your many trips to Peru that you mention. Do you happen to have any extra panca seeds you are willing to trade/sell/SASBE? I am a little obsessed with Peruvian ajies right now...Please let me know if you have other Peruvian ajies available too. Also, if you have time, I encourage you to check out, and contribute to, the "Aji Panca" thread http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/15370-aji-panca/, let us know what your experience has been with these. Thank you!

Sorry for the Hijack!

Back