• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

seeds Yellow tips on a few seedlings

This is my first time growing peppers(will be done completely indoors) and so far I would say for the most part it is going great. I am growing Prik Chi Faa, Santa Fe Grandes, Carolina Reapers and Chocolate Habanaros. Every type has started popping in under 2 weeks, but 2 of my Chocolates have yellow tips on their leaves. Overall they are growing fine so could this be possibly from having a hard time releasing from the seed? My Prik chi faas sprouted after just 5 days and are starting to get their second set of leaves.

If the tips were stuck in the seed casing longer than the rest of the plant, then yes, it could be from that. But also know that the single most-common cause of yellowing (which may begin at the tips), especially for new growers and especially for seedlings, is overwatering. It's a delicate balance when they are just sprouts, as you can't really let them dry out, but nor can you let them continue to yellow. Yes, post pics and let us know about your watering habits so we can better help you.

Pics would help a lot right now. There could be so many things wrong, or maybe nothing at all. Tell us about your growing conditions, etc. anything you could think of that could be causing this problem. How much are you watering? It could be overwatering. It could be a nute deficiency. If you're growing indoors under a light, it could be the light causing discoloration, etc etc etc. So many possibilities.

Looks like overwatering. How often do you water the seedlings? You should really only be watering here and there every week. When they grow larger, water about once a week. I killed half my plants by overwatering. #1 newbie mistake :( :( :(

every five days so they have been watered twice. When I repot them I want to go away from the peat moss setup, because I have noticed that drainage is terrible right now.

That's prob your issue. You may not be overwatering but you may be "overwatering". If that makes sense lol. The water they're receiving isn't draining properly, therefore they're sitting in stagnant water at the moment. I would fix this ASAP, as you will be faced with the following:

• Fungal Virus
  • Root Rot
  • Damp Off
  • Fungus Gnats
  • General Overwatering

Transplant into a nicer pot with better drainage or poke some holes into your current container. You may already have a fungal virus. Not to worry though. Increase the drainage and decrease the moisture, and any fungus that's present should go away.

You can tell if this is your issue if you start to see mushrooms growing out of the soil. It's happened to me quite a few times. Good luck!

EDIT: Let the soil completely dry out. I mean wait until your seedling is starting to wilt until you water again. This is called "stressing the plant". The more you continue to do this, by the time you're ready to get some pods out of this guy, they will be extra hot. Capsaicin develops when the plant undergoes stress. One of the best ways to do this is to barely water it it's whole entire life.

Back