• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Yellowing leaves

A couple of days ago I noticed that the top leaves on my bhut jolokias and trinidad scorpions started to turn yellow. The yellowing started with only the new growth, but seems to be progressing downwards to other leaves as well. Any ideas what might be causing this? I am trying to be careful not to over-water the plants (they have gone without water since transplanting them into their current 3-inch pots approximately a week ago...they were watered heavily after transplanting). From what I've read, I don't think it's a nitrogen deficiency since the tell-tale signs are usually yellowing of the bottom, more mature leaves, slowly progressing upwards. Perhaps a calcium/magnesium deficiency? I'm thinking about going out and buying some Cal-Mag to feed them. Any thoughts?

Here are a few pictures...

http://www.flickr.co...157629609130318
http://www.flickr.co...57629609130318/
http://www.flickr.co...57629609130318/

CalMag is an excellent fertilizer. Even though you may not have overwatered in the past week, that looks like signs of overwatering occuring at some point. Define "watered heavily after transplanting", and describe how they were watered before. Also, do you have sufficient drainage in those pots? Watering heavily if you've got plenty of drainage will let the soil get soaked, but the excessive water will drain out right away, then you need to let it get fairly dry (but not bone dry) before watering again.

Big jumps in temp between night and day will throw a lil "yellow" into new growth

But ya gotta lil chlorosis there...overwatering, lockout, and or n/mg/iron deficiencies...cal mag it up Brotha!

The night that I transplanted them into their new pots, I soaked each one pretty thoroughly since I was afraid that some of them would get transplant shock because some of the transplants lost quite a bit of soil and had their roots exposed when taken out of the 72-cell insert tray they were planted in. I haven't watered them since then, but it's about time that I did because the soil is getting pretty dry. The 3-inch pots do have good drainage, so they haven't been in any standing water. They are also still on top of a heating mat (I'm hoping that will help speed their growth rates by promoting faster root growth). The plants aren't subjected to temperature extremes either since they are still indoors underneath the fluorescent lights (the temperature usually stays fairly constant between 70 and 75 degrees). It's entirely possible I did water them a little too much after transplanting, since the soil was very moist for quite awhile afterwards. A few days after watering them I decided to put a fan a few feet from them to help circulate the air and help the soil moisture evaporate faster. As for the CalMag, how much should I dilute the solution? The container doesn't list a recommended ratio for seedlings/transplants, only the standard 1 teaspoon per gallon of water for soil container gardens.

It looks like the yellowing leaves was likely a delayed result of over-watering. I let the soil get very dry (to the point that the leaves were beginning to wilt) before watering again. Looks like the leaves have "greened-up" since then. I also watered with a 1/4 strength solution of Cal-Mag.

05-09-12002.jpg

Back