• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Young Peppers with Issues

Well, I have some plants that are showing some issues. Not sure what they are and am hoping someone can tell me what is wrong and what to do. They are under a metal halide and I have fans running. It stays about 70 degrees all day with the light on 24/7. Thanks for any help!

issue1.jpg

issue2.jpg

issue3.jpg

***DISCLAIMER: I am not a registered horticulturalist nor do I claim to be. My advice is based on my education and personal experience with growing peppers***

My observations:
  1. The plant in the upper right appears to be a bit chlorotic; this could be from a couple things (most likely magnesium deficiency)
  2. Your potting soil appears to be a bit dry

What you could do:
  1. Use a little bit of epsom salt when you water them next time (sprinkled on soil or dissolved in water)
  2. Moisten up that soil a bit but not too much
  3. Make sure your roots are properly aerated and poke some small holes in the side of the cups to allow for oxygen to get to the roots

Keep in mind, they really don't look that bad. There may be some nutrient deficiency issues but in my opinion, I think you're off to a good start. Keep 'em watered, lightly fed, etc. until you are ready to put them outside.

Thanks, I just gave them magnesium last night thinking it could be the problem. I sprayed it on the underside of the leaves and am hoping that they start to green up a bit more. Just trying to stay on top of any issues that seem to show themselves, since I am new to hot pepper plants.

It looks to me as though you are being a bit too hard on the poor wittle babies. Try running your light less (like 18 on 6 off).
Seems they might like a little R&R, and you will save 25% electricity consumption from your metal halide.

Remember also that bottom watering encourages the roots to strike deep henceforth 'tis betterer too. Oh and check that they aren't rootbound, it may be time to increase the size of their dirt holders.

You are most welcome, now go to Texas Blues profile and congratulate him on his awesome PMDedness :D

Back