• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

hot-sauce Your fave Sriracha?

tuong_ot_an_pho_sriracha.gif

There's a lot out there! I believe the brown cap you had was Flying Goose, they have different cap colors for different flavors like ginger, lemon, garlic, etc. And the bottle looks just like the rooster, but it's a goose! Brown cap = garlic. Green cap = real deal... or bold imitators... just ask Scovie. He has the shoes.

sriracha_pumps.jpg

I've tried the blue cap one (bought from an asian grocers) and it was simply not as full in flavour as the Huy Fong one. I've also tried a little bottle that my wife bought and it was truly crap - it has fish sauce in it!

Personally, there is only one Sri Racha and that's Huy Fong. There are hotter and different tasting options but they're not Sri Racha.

Siv said:

Personally, there is only one Sri Racha and that's Huy Fong. There are hotter and different tasting options but they're not Sri Racha.

I remain troubled that Huy Fong is looked at as The Standard for sriracha. David Tran may have been first but Huy Fong is hardly the best and there are LOTS and LOTS of srirachas out there, and many of them are really good. 

What would this world be like if Wonder Bread was The Standard for sliced bread? Not good. We'd certainly be in Hell if the standard for hotsauce was Tabasco.

Also, with Huy Fong purposely striving to be a cheap, everyman's Wal-mart product, there's MUCH room for gourmet markets. Sky Valley's sriracha at $8/bottle is well worth the money. Dark Star, with it's balsamic vinegar is excellent.

Lately, I've really been digging a boutique sriracha that's made from ghost peppers (all natural, $10/bottle + shipping). It is so delicious AND it's sriracha. And it's not a copycat.

Sriracha is a condiment like mustard and there's lots of room for all kinds of wonderful variations. When I tried my DIY sriracha I had a refrigerator with 6 great srirachas to compare it against.

Speaking of Sriracha, I went to the local shopping centre tonight and there is a big fruit/veg grocer there. They had about 4 different sizes of Huy Fong Sriracha bottles. The big ones were $4.99. A couple of weeks ago, the same shop had a Sriracha which had an illustration of chilli peppers on the bottle, but none of the Huy Fong ones. 

In the same shopping centre there is another shop I frequent which also has Huy Fong Sriracha, I bought a bottle from there last week and paid $6.99 for it. 

The local supermarket also sells Sriracha, this one has a red cap and is "Hot Cock Brand". This is what it looks like http://www2.woolworthsonline.com.au/#url=/Shop/ProductDetails%3FStockcode%3D744394%26name%3Dhot-cock-sriracha-sauce-chilli%26search%3Dsriracha%2Bsauce

I found the Badia brand Sriracha at Food Lion here in Southwest Virginia.  It wasn't with the other Srirachas.  It was located at the bottom of a Mexican/Latin spice rack on the end of an Isle.  As far as taste goes I wasn't a fan.  I didn't even keep it in my fridge.  It went to the fridge at work.  Where all hot sauces I dislike end up.

Anyone tried Kikkoman yet?  I came across a bottle a couple of weeks ago, very good taste (as I would expect from Kikkoman) just wish it had a bit more heat.

Kikkoman.jpg

Huy Fong vs Texas Pete Sriracha comparison (an Unofficial Review)

100_0058.JPG

I have often said that Sriracha is the most versatile sauce I have had, and would be my pick if I could only have one for the rest of my life. Now it seems everyone is coming up with their own version. I found the new Texas Pete CHA! Sriracha version in a local grocery store so I thought it would be fun to put them up against each other.

Ingredients:

Huy Fong: chiles, sugar, salt, garlic, distilled vinegar, potassium sorbate and xanthan gum.
Texas Pete: chiles, garlic, sugar, salt, vinegar, potassium sorbate

Packaging:

Huy Fong: that legendary plastic bottle with the rooster on it and the green cap.
Texas Pete: a similar plastic bottle but with a bright yellow cap. No translations on this bottle as it is only available in the US and Canada as far as I can tell.

Appearance/Aroma: both are equally smooth looking sauces, there is a slight variance in color. I would say that the Texas Pete is just a shade or two more orange and the Huy Fong a little bit more red. The aroma of the Huy Fong has more pronounced red jalapeno smell. The Texas Pete I get a little more of the vinegar.

100_0059.JPG

Taste:

Huy Fong: wonderful sun dried fermented taste of the red jalapenos, garlic, and sugar.
Texas Pete: less of the fermented taste, but more vinegar and salt. Much less sweet. Garlic is there, but it is more of an after taste than up front.

Consistency:

This one is a no-brainer, the Texas Pete, although nearly as smooth, seems a bit gritty to me. Huy Fong is almost the consistency of ketchup.

Heat:

Huy Fong has a gentle heat of red jalapenos, it is just a warm glow in your mouth as you eat it.
Surprisingly, Texas Pete is bringing more heat! I am not sure if it is because of there being less sugar, or more vinegar, but it is definitely hotter. The heat hits right up front on the tongue, and lips. It spreads after several spoonfuls to the sides and back of the tongue. It is not long lasting, but it did bring a tiny bead of sweat to my forehead.

Applications:

Both would be excellent on a metric sh#t ton (SoFlo official measurement) of foods. I love them on pizza, egg rolls cheese steaks, anything fried. I could see Texas Pete being better on wings than Huy Fong because of that little bit more vinegar to it.

Overall:

While I do like the added heat of the Texas Pete, and they certainly have made a decent product here, I am sticking with Huy Fong as my mainstay. It might be the familiarity, it might be the added complexity of the sun dried fermented red jalapenos, but whatever it is. It will remain the mainstay in my fridge. It is hard to replace an original. Nice effort Texas Pete. Now if someone could please explain to me why a hot sauce company from Winston Salem, NC is called Texas Pete and making a knockoff of a Thai style sauce...

Now if someone could please explain to me why a hot sauce company from Winston Salem, NC is called Texas Pete and making a knockoff of a Thai style sauce... 

Weird ain't it.

I live in NC and there is a backstory to the name Texas Pete.    They've been around forever.    I'll have to try their sriracha, even though I don't favor their other products.

Here in NZ we don’t really get the Huy Fong but get a lot of imported Thai and other Asian ones. We have big asian comunites here now and each areas little asian grocery store has a differnt range.

The bottle I always have at home is the best Suree it’s got no unexpected ingredients and while not being crazy hot is great on everything.
Suree-Sriracha-Chilli-Sauce-740ml-15158729-5.jpeg

There are others my current work sauce is Pantai it’s a little hotter and stronger with the garlic.
850542-pantai-sriracha-chili-sauce.jpg

Another one I have had that’s not quite as good (IMHO) is the Shark brand it comes in a glass bottle and a tastes a little funky.
20130611-sriracha-taste-test-sharl.jpg

OCD Chilehead said:
So far Huy Fong. I add 3tbs of SuperHot powder to give it a kick.
Had to do a double-take.  Thought your 3tbs was 3lbs!
Wustenfuchs said:
Anyone tried Kikkoman yet?  I came across a bottle a couple of weeks ago, very good taste (as I would expect from Kikkoman) just wish it had a bit more heat.

Kikkoman.jpg

Didn't know it existed.  Will have to look for it.

Wustenfuchs said:

Kikkoman.jpg

I came across it in Chicago. No thanks. I didn't even try it. It's got goofy ingredients for preservatives and color.
My absolute favorite is the Ghost Pepper Sriracha from California Blazing Chili Farms.
They also make a Trinidad Scorpion Sriracha. I like it a lot, it's a little too hot for me for daily use, but I've gone through 1 bottle of the scorpion and 3 bottles of the ghost in the past 6 months.

You can get them at Etsy.

Here's the ghost going into a grilled cheese sandwich.

1450092_10202055973188550_673989548_n.jpg

OzDragon said:

I came across it in Chicago. No thanks. I didn't even try it. It's got goofy ingredients for preservatives and color.

My absolute favorite is the Ghost Pepper Sriracha from California Blazing Chili Farms.
They also make a Trinidad Scorpion Sriracha. I like it a lot, it's a little too hot for me for daily use, but I've gone through 1 bottle of the scorpion and 3 bottles of the ghost in the past 6 months.

You can get them at Etsy.

Here's the ghost going into a grilled cheese sandwich.

1450092_10202055973188550_673989548_n.jpg

I ordered the Trinidad Scorpion Sriracha from California Blazing Chile Farms after reading your post and I must say I'm really impressed with the flavor and heat. I also noticed it doesn't have any preservatives like the big brand srirachas so I'm wondering if I should refrigerate right away since the label doesn't state I should.

I love it, the Huy Fong version, that is. I haven't found any other Sriracha sauce yet and I was actually unaware that they even existed, until now. I love THP! It's one of my faves and like many here, I put it on just about anything and everything! Well, almost :)

Back