• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Your Favorite C. frutescens

Trippa, we are doing a prik ki nu growdown over in the "Glogs" area if you want to get in on it. It is definitely my favorite C.frutescens. At least I believe it is a frutescens, it sure looks like one to me.

Also I have heard that Donne Sali is sometimes Annuum and sometimes frutescens, or more accurately, there are two distinctly different peppers in Guam referred to as Donne sali. I have some growing now that definitely look Annuum to me, but Wayrights look different than mine.

Definitely frutescens,plant frame,heat,calyx,pedicel,flavor,flower color are all frutescen.The two peppers you mentioned are Guam Boonies,and Donne Sali. The boonie is 3-5x bigger in pod shape. My mother i law was born in Guam and won't eat any other peppers. If you ever want seeds feel free to ask. The plants grow year round in Guam and get big. I think Mr. Wayright had some pics of 9' or10' plants but he is a freak. Mine were around 6.

Boonies.... Way better flavor than tabasco and stay firmer for me. The sali are like a grain of rice
090812115647.jpg

I see, so Boonies and Donne Sali are two different peppers? Hopefully the plants I have growing, which were labeled "Boonie Pepper" will set pods pretty soon and I can get a better idea of what I have got.

I prefer frutescens to chinense as well for eating. :) I always enjoy the 'quick/fast' burn of these and tepins/pequins. They sting, but don't leave a mark. lol.

Prodigal_Son, your photos are getting really good. What camera are you using? :)

Chris

@ theghostpepperstore

I've been eating Bonnie peppers since I was a kid back home. DONNI Sali :party: Boonie Peppers are the same thing to us Guamanians. The plants I have now (in Florida) were grown from a plant from my backyard in Toto Village, Guam. I use them in everything.

@ theghostpepperstore

I've been eating Bonnie peppers since I was a kid back home. DONNI Sali :party: Boonie Peppers are the same thing to us Guamanians. The plants I have now (in Florida) were grown from a plant from my backyard in Toto Village, Guam. I use them in everything.

Ok, now I am really confused! :banghead:

I guess I will just have to post pics of pods when I have them and let the experts sort it out! :rofl:

Hi, Donne Sali peppers can be as small as a grain of rice, and can be really hot for their size, as soon as the sun rises i'll snap some pics of the Sali i have on the yard :P .

Thanks
Bryan

The boonie is 3-5x bigger in pod shape. My mother i law was born in Guam and won't eat any other peppers. If you ever want seeds feel free to ask. The plants grow year round in Guam and get big. I think Mr. Wayright had some pics of 9' or10' plants but he is a freak. Mine were around 6.

I wasn't going to start these... but it sounds like it's worth it...

@ theghostpepperstore

Some folks call them "boonie" because they grow in the jungle(boonies,boondocks). They are 2 different c.frutescens.

Donni Sali has respectable heat and an earthy flavor. Since I'm very familiar with their heat signature and flavor profile, I keep them on hand for everything. The example below is one of the dishes that I've created where I use Boonie Peppers. :hell:

mattsanchezsalsa-1_zps1c701925.jpg

Some folks call them "boonie" because they grow in the jungle(boonies,boondocks). They are 2 different c.frutescens.

Hafa? I'm from Guam (Chamorro by blood) and call the same pepper by both names. The smaller one is the real deal Boonie Pepper/Chamorro Bird Pepper/Donni Sali. They are about one inch long. The longer pepper is not traditionally used in Finideni and reminds me of the Thai peppers that I grow which top out at around 4" without the same heat signature or caylx / peduncle.

So if the larger one is also found in Guam, is it nameless or just called the same thing because it looks similar (just larger) and hence the confusion?

I grow frutescens for the same reason as Charles and Kevin--tiny little bite-size fireballs to snack on. Properly grown, the pods reach 100,000 Scovilles or higher. I've only grown Tabasco and Siling Labuyo--both very good chiles with the added benefit of the plants producing well through the intense Louisiana midsummer heat.

The ripe fruit are very soft and moist and tricky to dry--That's the reason they usually make sauce from them.

Prik Ki Nu is annuum, period. Easy to dry, and will also reach 100,000 Scovilles. Grant's are excellent.

But my favorite tiny garden fireball is Chiltepin. One tiny little BB-sized pod goes off like a firecracker in your mouth.

Piri-piri are all some of my favorite peppers. Lots of kick for tiny pods, one of my favorite burns. Plus the seeds are small and delicate so they dont irritate me as much as lots of other varieties when dried.

I mainly dry them whole, then grab a handful and crush them onto my food. Yum.

I wasn't impressed with tobasco either. I don't like the taste. They were huge and very prolific, and the burn is a little different which is cool.

So far my favorite frutescens to grow has been the St. Lucia Bird... nothing fruiting yet, will wait for my 2013 winner...

Back