• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

annuum Zapotec Jalapenos

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Ate another Zapotec today. These suckers aint playing. This last one had some bitterness to it but it was small. Plants are improving so i want them devoting more energy to growth than pods atm. Plus i was craving nachos :D
SMDS, I Havent eaten 1 in awhile now, But the few i did earlier were SMOKING Hot For a Jalapeño!! I was THOROUGHLY impressed with the Heat level, EXACTLY what i wanted! Thank you again for turning me on to This Variety, I wouldnt have known about them without your advice

4 of my 6 plants look like little Bonsai Trees, They go up about 12 inches, and the Tops Flatten/Widen out, With Fruit Hanging HEAVY under the Canopy. My other 2 Plants are a Bit taller, but very similar Bonsai Character look as the 4 Shorter plants. These Things are AWESOME!! Beth Boyd (aka Aji Queen knew what was Good!!) I plan to keep these Guys True, and Going year after year since they do so well here in our short Quality Growing Season

The Super Hots (C. reapers, etc. Are Novelty Fun) But they are Truly a PITA to Grow here in Extreme North Idaho where i live, We just dont have enough Quality Grow time for them here, About the Time they REALLY start taking off, TONS of Flowers, and little tiny pods, It is the VERY end of August, we are losing Light, and you can REALLY feel the weather Change at night, and early mornings! It will usually Frost here by the 10 of Sept. The Super Hots just dont have the time they REALLY need. And its SUPER disheartening to watch something you put so much time in, Run out of Grow time and Face a Certain Frosty Death!

This year i am gonna put them under my little Hoop House about Sept the 1st, This should give me about 1 more month, Which is about what i need!

Your plants look STELLAR and i mean STELLAR!!!! I found out about them here on this board. The one i got in a fabric pot is doing great for being a late start. Gunna give my pepper patch a good shot of nutrients soon. We got pounded by way too much rain in late May and most of June. It put a huge bog on plant growth. Everything is rebounding now.

Many of my other peppers are just for the fun of it. Some i really really love though and cant buy. One that looks promising in the same heat range as the jalapeno is the bolsa de dulce. My plants are just crazy producers in fabric pots. Aleppo is another but mainly just for powder. Great flavor though. Ive heard milder temps will yield milder Aleppo. I had lots of ripe pods last year. They might work in your climate too

Jalapeno though is one of the few that is great green or ripe so you never get shafted at the end of the season.

This is my only Zapotec i held back in case of emergency. The pant to the right is my small bolsa, other 2 are HUGE. Its pretty hard to move plants in dirt if it hails :D
2urjdpP.jpg

All I want my Zapotecs to devote energy to is turning red. I have hundreds of green pods, many of which are big and corky and awesome... But no red ones yet.
My patience is wearing thin.

Bicycle808 said:
All I want my Zapotecs to devote energy to is turning red. I have hundreds of green pods, many of which are big and corky and awesome... But no red ones yet.
My patience is wearing thin.
Same boat here, I have not had 1 turn yet, Actually i have MANY that have Turned a REAL Dark (Sunburn I believe?) Almost Black, Some with nice Corking, But stil no Red ones yet. It will happen

I had two afflicted with BER that turned red, as damaged pods do tend to ripen faster. I didn't fuck with those; in the old days, I'd just chop the stank end of and way the the rest. But, I've marked. And I have literally hundreds of nice big clean Jalapeños coming; over grown up beyond eating skanky pods.

But yeah, as of today I have maybe half a dozen that are now than half red. They'll be ready by Tuesday I reckon.

I'm stoked

Sampled 3 more Zapotecs.....These things are freaks. Every single one has been very hot for a jalapeno. To be honest though i like the overall flavor of the Chichimeca or Mucho Nacho better....they are less bitter to me even when you get a real "zinger". Granted i have not deseeded any of them. Just sliced them thin for nachos. Could be a nutrient thing going on in that bed too. Giving them all some molasses/chitosan water today or tomorrow. Boost the potassium/calcium/magnesium and give them some carbs to munch on.

Still waiting on a Zap from the fabric pot to compare flavor.

I feel like, once they're fully ripe, they have a nice heat/sweet balance. Bitterness and cap go hand in hand, and like you said, the Zapotecs are pretty danged hot... But I don't know that I've ever had any Jalapeño that I'd call "bitter." But I guess it's relative,and I'm usually eating Jalapeños as a snack between Bonnets and SuperHots.. so, comparatively, less bitter. Tbf, I've never had a Chichimeca so I can't compare. But I am fully a believer in these things

A little update on mine, We had a HORRENDOUS Wind Storm come through, Were talking a LOT of homes messed up, Metal Roofs Rolled up like a Banana Peel etc.

My Zapotecs ARE so loaded with HEAVY Pods that they Tipped over (Not the Pot, The Plant itself) I had to Shove a Stake down through them to keep em Upright. Like i said above, my plants arent very big, Pretty Small Actually, But these things are LOADED DOWN with Peppers, all the way down the Stalk to the Dirt And they are just now Starting to Turn, Im seeing a Few anyway

Pictures dont do these Guys justice, You need to grab ahold and Lift a Plant, They are HEAVY LOADED for their Size

Thats a crazy amount of pods even for larger plants. Only my aji arnaucho pods that heavy for a small plant. My Zapotec in the fabric pot is loading up. Hard to see in the pic but it should yield great.

You should try Joes Long Cayenne next year also. I got tons of pods on mine and several already ripe. They would pair well with ripe jalas in a hot sauce. Im going to ferment a batch and mix that with ripe jalas later this year.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
Thats a crazy amount of pods even for larger plants. Only my aji arnaucho pods that heavy for a small plant. My Zapotec in the fabric pot is loading up. Hard to see in the pic but it should yield great.

You should try Joes Long Cayenne next year also. I got tons of pods on mine and several already ripe. They would pair well with ripe jalas in a hot sauce. Im going to ferment a batch and mix that with ripe jalas later this year.
Cayenne is 1 pepper that gets me EVERYTIME, if i eat 1, i need to be reasonably close to a Bathroom

How is your Aji Oro Rocoto Doing? You gonna have any Seed from it you think? Do you have a Recent Rocoto Pic? I sure wish i had Grown some Rocotos this year, Those things did BLAZING Good for me, and they were truly a Beautiful Plant, They actually looked really Good in front of my House in the Flower Bed. Next Year i will DEFINITELY get back on track with the Rocotos.

Im thrilled with the aji oro. Its a ground hugger though. Grows out and not up. Plant is under 2ft tall and probably over 3ft across. Ate my first one yesterday and it was great. Should have plenty of ripe pods soon. Got one more ripe pod in the kitchen atm. I will get seeds from it before i eat it.

My Glog
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/70841-dasauce-year-of-pain-2019/page-3

Pube (rocoto thread) Seeds we got the year yours did so well came from the guy who started the topic.
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67008-show-us-your-pubes-group-glog-from-the-rocoto-giveaway/page-21

[emoji16]

Actually it is currently my tallest plant!

Your JZ's are beasts Lewis!  I have a short stocky flat-top one in a small pot too, but it's sure not producing like that!  It was in too small of a pot, so I stepped it up recently and I'm hoping to catch a solid next wave of pods.

My three others JZ's are in a raised bed at my community plot and had some decent pods ripening. Unfortunately, I discovered on my most recent visit they had been raided.  Doesn't happen to me often - and hadn't for quite some time - but when it does it can be pretty disappointing.  Thankfully the weather's come around recently and there's still good time left.

Yeah that is a crazy amount of jalas even for a large plant. Ive only had that kind of jala production a couple times and the plants were huge. Both times in dirt but never quite that much in a pot. Last years chichimeca did incredible in a pot. Not quite that good but it was loaded with pods all season. I almost got sick of picking them. :D

Still cant figure out why my ground plot is so far behind. Only thing i did different was i didnt till it this year. The last 2 years my jalas/annuums in that patch have been much larger except for the Biker Billy.

Back