Chipotle Making

I was wondering something. I have about 7 Jalapeno plants going right now and Im sure my friend and I may make some chipotles with then. Now neither of us have a food dehydrator or a smoker. The closes thing we have is a grill. Is there a way we can still make chipotles if we decided to or will we need a food dehydrator or other appliance?

You can cold smoke them with one of these...

I know Potawie smokes lots of peppers, so hopefully he'll chime in here as to what wood and how he does it. I do remember that he pokes holes in his peppers before smoking for better smoke penetration.

For the drying part, you can use your oven on the lowest temp setting, or if it's hot and dry enough where you live you might be able to string them up and let them air dry in a place that gets lots of circulation. I've had mixed results with drying jalapenos this way, and it seems to work better when they're fresh and ripe. However, their thick skin might give you moldy results without using your oven or a dehydrator.

Absolutely!!

I smoke on a gas grill myself.

Start a small pile of coals glowing, add wet wood chips = smoke!

Halve the japs and smoke them for an hour or 2.

Many storebought are packed in adobo, but I prefer to dry them and make powder.

Ripe red japs make far better chipotles.

Mmmmmm Jack Daniels smoked Jalapenos...that probably be some realy good flavor right there. I was thinking about doing Pecan or Apple wood but that JD starting to catch my fancy.

Chipotles are traditionally smoke dried, over several days with traditional woods but personally I like to try different woods with different peppers although hickory, maple, apple and cherry are my major sources right now. I love mesquite too for quicker smoking or when mixed with maple or something milder.

All chipotles are smoked peppers
Not all smoked peppers are chipotles:)

I buy a bag of green japs every 6 months or so and smoke them for chipotle powder.

I grow japs for the red ones which are worth their weight in GOLD!!!!!

The more I think about the woods to use, im leaning towards maple, apple, and pecan. Now I know im setting my self up for a "Well Duh" award but will the maple in fact give the peppers a maple flavor, and the apple an apple flavor, and etc.? I know pecan is the traditional wood to use. Do these and any other woods have other characteristics they give off to the food besides a flavor, if so what are they?

Wow that's perfect. Just what I was looking for and very informative. Didnt know there were that many woods that got used for smoking.

I'm now on my third day of cold-smoking a tray of C. chinenses for my next batch of smokey hot-sauce. This batch, I'm using a mix of hickory and cherry, and do they ever smell delicious!

So I had this idea. Maybe its an obvious "comparing apples to oranges" scenario but thought I would run it by you all anyway. My idea was to try meat that was smoked in different woods to see how the difference is so that I know first hand what to expect when smoking peppers and what woods have what effect.

can someone post a recipe for smoking. I have quit a few different woods to try and figured I'd start with a mild sweet combo first like alder and apple, then try a batch with some kick like apple and mesquite or apple and hickory. Just need to know how long I should smoke them for and at what temp? Also should I dry them first or just smoke them right off the vine. I have a lot of jap peppers, but they are all green. Should I not use those and if so do I just leave the ones on the plant now for a long time until they turn red?

Never grew peppers before so smoking them for chipotle powder is a first.

Making any kind of powder is something I'm also a bit interested in as far as the process and what goes into it.

Smoking is easy. I would advise using 1 wood to start off, or how will you know which one added which flavor? Ill advised.

Recipe:........;)

1 pork butt

Marinate in tons of pepper powder, salt, pepper, brown sugar, and paprika (if you didn't add that in the pepper powder)

Let it sit coated overnight.

Sart coals to one far end of grill....

Add wet wood chips until flames are out.

Suspend meat over a foil pan full of beer or water, on the far side of the grill from the heat. Close Lid.

Use digital thermometer to keep the temperature inside the grill (not inside the meat) below 235f.

Add chips or water when flame ups occur.

Repeat for 10-13 hours.

Don't let the temp below 180 for more than a minute or 2.

Pull apart in a foil pan with 2 forks.

If not tender, you phucked up.;)

No sauce should be needed, but season to taste if sauce is your thang.

Serve with cole slaw, buns, onions, homemade pickles, corn on the cob, and lays chips.

IF NOT TENDER.........

Cook, covered in the oven for 2 hours or so at 215F

Funny, I make my smoked peppers with only chiles and smoke.
Not much of a process, just add cold smoke for as long as you can and then make sauce or finish drying in a dehydator if neccessary

Back