• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Scotch Bonnet varieties

Are there actually different varieties of scotch bonnets? I've tried to do a web search but I was unconvinced by what was out there. From what I can tell, they either come in red or yellow and of course are shaped like a scotch bonnet. Are there any other varieties?

This is my new favorite and ironically I scored the seeds from pods in a produce market in early '09. Never again I bet. :)

Chris

P1080834.jpg

Chris,

Great photos, I love the new black backround. How do those Papa Joe's compare to the TFM variety? I am was planning on growing the TFM next year as they were supposed to be a favoite a few years back. Thanks,

my favorite Scotch Bonnet is/was the Foodarama Scotch Bonnet...I grew them last year and saved seeds but had a total bust for germinating seeds this year...

when buying seeds for scotch bonnets...remember that there are several annuums out there that have the bonnet shape...Jamaican Red and Jamaican Yellow are two that are nice looking pods but not as much heat as the chinense...

Here's a good thread to check out
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/5370-scotch-bonnets-squash-mushroomjamaican-hot-etc/page__p__86366

And a good article
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/76-caribbean/88-the-scotch-bonnet-peppers-of-jamaica

I would think that any true Scotch Bonnet would have to be a variety of chinense. Annum's would not be a scotch bonnet. Most of the SB's I see out there are really habaneros.

So for those who say there are varieties can you list them here? Thanks.

Once again try this link
http://www.thehotpepper.com/topic/5370-scotch-bonnets-squash-mushroomjamaican-hot-etc/page__p__86366

Or thechileman's database
http://thechileman.org/results.php?chile=1&find=bonnet&heat=Any&origin=Any&genus=Chinense&submit=Search

Well that's totally true. I guess the second link is helpful. The question I guess it are those true varieties of the SB or just other varieties of habaneros. Most don't have the characteristic bonnet shape. I wonder if they have the bonnet flavor.

The only ones that have the shape are the "true jamaican" the SB red and yellow. The rest don't look like bonnets at all.

it is troubling, if we take the true Jamaican scotch bonnet, the concept of the pepper is shaped like a Scotman's Bonnet, then what are all the others "habanero looking types".

I bought some Scotch bonnet from a local African grocery store, asked about the supplier, the box they come in say Scotch Bonnet but who really knows; the pods were frozen and seeds have not germinated. So then I went to an East Indain grocery store that had Scotch Bonnets (red) and bought a tray for $3.00. I just seeded some of the pods and planted them, at least they are fresh but again none of them look like a Scotsman's bonnet, they look habanero'ish.

So to make myself feel better, I go to www.g6csy.net and look up Scotch Bonnet and they look like the pods I bought.

Well that's totally true. I guess the second link is helpful. The question I guess it are those true varieties of the SB or just other varieties of habaneros. Most don't have the characteristic bonnet shape. I wonder if they have the bonnet flavor.

The only ones that have the shape are the "true jamaican" the SB red and yellow. The rest don't look like bonnets at all.

The term Scotch bonnet has often been mis-used over the years like you just mis-used "habanero" to describe all chinenses.
As the article states, Scotch bonnets don't always have the Tam or bonnet shape, but those that do are graded higher. Pod shape can differ dramatically even on the same plant
"Scotch bonnet graded according to quality of the product. Grade A (or Grade 1) is better than Grade B (or Grade 2). A Grade A Scotch bonnet is expected to:
•have a cup and saucer shape or look like a Scottish man's bonnet (tam)
•have four or five lobes
•be 1.5 inches wide
•have a stalk no longer than 1 1/4 inches long
•be without blemishes on the skin
•be free of chemical residue"

"The Jamaican government is currently working with agronomists at the Scientific Research Council and the Ministry of Agriculture to save the Scotch pepper which is under threat from the use of inferior seeds, the use of the name Jamaican Scotch bonnet to describe peppers that are not real Scotch bonnet, inferior quality products and inability to meet demand. In addition, the fumigation that is required for entry into the United States results in quicker spoilage.

The Ministry of Agriculture, Rural Agricultural Development Association and the Scientific Research Council are all working to ensure that the Scotch bonnet pepper industry survives. One of the strategies being developed is the sale and distribution of top-quality Jamaican Scotch bonnet seeds to farmers. "
http://www.fiery-foods.com/chiles-around-the-world/76-caribbean/88-the-scotch-bonnet-peppers-of-jamaica?start=1

In terms of a cross Hippy has his Nagabon which is now a third generation cross
The pods are big and taste equally like a bonnet and a naga with about 80% of the heat of a naga

very helpful potawie!

i just don't like when sellers just pass off regular habs and say that they're scotch bonnets just so that they can sell more.

Did I say all chinense are habaneros? I think I said all SB are chinense as are all habaneros also chinense. If I did say that I was in error.

In any case thanks for the clarification concerning grades of SB. So I guess the question is, are those other varieties classified as SB really just SB of an inferior grade or are they actually habaneros.

Which varieties advertised or listed as SB are really SB and how would you know?

Back