• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Looking for Spicy Pickle recipe

I think that was me. Just found my recipe. Caution. These are amazing, but if you eat them after only one or two weeks, they aren't salty enough.
You have to let them go a little bit longer, like 4 weeks at least. If you can wait, they come out so good!!!
I reduced the salt from the original recipe because when I brined some cukes with that mix it was disgusting, like eating a salt block.
These should produce the right mix.

Oh, and I used sliced zucchini along with the cukes. Highly recommended!

8 1/2 C water
2 1/4 C white vinegar
1/4 C pickling salt (don't go above 1/3 cup!!! I liked it with 1/4, though the original recipe calls for 1/2)

Cook the jars to sanitize.
Boil up the brine (above).
Fill hot jars with sliced cucumbers or zucchini or whatever you're pickling.
To each jar, add:
1 clove garlic (at least)
1 large sprig of fresh dill
1 whole fatali pepper, seeds and all. Top cut off. (you can use other peppers too, I like fatali)
Fill stuffed jars with brine, leaving 1/2 inch headspace.
Put on the lids.
Process in boiling water for a few minutes, let cool.

Store jars in a dark place for about a month before getting into them.

enjoy!

FD

Look up sour pickles, and follow the traditional recipe, but add some crushed pods (your choice).

I also like half sour pickles, which are more like a fresh cucumber, but I think sours will work best with the peppers, they will absord the heat.

weird, I replied to this and a few others, all my replies are lost
Take a gallon of pickles, drain the liquid, replace with 4 cups sugar, and at least 2 TBSP of hot sauce. put the lid back on, and back in the fridge, for atleast a week, flip the jar end for end twice a day.

Thunder, that looks cool, but doesn't it make a sweet pickle? And 2 T of hot sauce isn't gonna give a gallon of pickles any real heat!!! (I know you said "at least").

Do you add any more liquid, or just let them dry?

On a similar note, anyone ever hear of kool-aid pickles?
I think you take a jug of pickles and add unsweetened kool-aid powder to it and a bunch of sugar. Look it up!

No, the pickles were hot, I used satan's blood (just 1 TBSP ).
I guess if you used a sauce, not an extract, you would bump it up, but honestly I wouldn't start off with a cup of a death sauce or anything like that!!

Take a gallon of pickles, drain the liquid, replace with 4 cups sugar, and at least 2 TBSP of hot sauce. put the lid back on, and back in the fridge, for atleast a week, flip the jar end for end twice a day.
That's not a pickle recipe. You said buy pickles and drain the brine. So you didn't make pickles you bought them. Not sure what adding sugar and hot sauce in no brine would do. Sounds like a drunk recipe.

lol, not a drunk recipe, but I did drink quite a bit when I ate them.

just a simple thing you can do to pickles to kick them up. You should see what I do to cherry tomatoes! turn them into ceasers.

Back