• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

I will be trying to make real chili...no beans!!I need help??

I have always eaten regular chili from a can or what MoM made and it was ok..
I am now 32 and have found myself eating ALOT of hot sauce and peppers .
I also cook the same dish untill i do it better than anyone has tasted it.
this somtimes falls into the hands of people that like the way they are used to a dish rather than how it should taste!!
I want to eat real chili .
so i have downloaded a recipe that won 25 grand in a contest and i see and read that beans have no place in chili ...maybe under it but not in it.
just meat gravy and spice.
so here i go.
what is tri tip beef and can i use ground steak??
also is it better to put it in the grinder or maybe use a food processor??
I have a very good friend that will cut me any piece of the cow i want and process it any way i want so what is best??
thanks for the help.

shayne

Hi Shayne, welcome to the Hot pepper. I'm not obsessive about chili, so I can't help you much there. I do think the beans or no beans is just a personal preference thing, not an absolute.

My preference has to do with the way the beans are prepared. I don't like canned beans, too much salt. So, unless the beans in chili are made from dried or fresh, I'd rather have my chili without beans.

the best meat on any animal is the tenderloins on the inside of the cavity & the backstraps.
as for no beans is real chili, just because it has several awards doesnt mean its the BEST thats a personal preference thing. I'd like chili that has beans & thick.
yes you can use burger in chili.

I am going to disagree with CH on this one. The tenderloin will be the most tender part of any animal but not necessarily the most flavorful. That would probably be the ribeye or porterhouse. You can use any meat you like in any form. The larger the pieces used, the longer cooking time. Tri-tip, chuck, burger, top sirloin..brisket even..it all works.
As for the beans/no beans issue..being a Texas born man, officially I go with no beans but ...throw whatever you want in it. If it tastes good to you, it is good! Chili is one of those subjects like politics and gay marriage that people heatedly debate..why? I dunno..its just chili..no need to get your knickers all twisted up over. Do your thang' man and enjoy that chili. Tell us how it goes bro. Cheers!

I am not saying no beans ever as i do like them getting back to what i am used to.
I just want to try chili like the one i have read about.
I do travel and will be on the lookout for a pro cookout but for now i want to get a feel for it here.
this debate is like

farm eggs - store eggs
feedlot beef - free range beef
fruit/vegtables i get in canada that come from California - eating it there..

i grew up with beans in my chili...when i started to cook in cook offs and for the international championship i learned alot about chili. the Texas style or CASI version of chili as it pertains to judging if there are any beans or fillers in it...the chili is disqualified.
we got a really good cook off comming up in september near winston salem but CASI (the chili appreciation society international) has cook offs all over the place. now in casi land the beans debate is just as much a debate as cut meat or chili grind i use what is called mock tender in my cut meat chili and chuck in my chili grind the butcher i know has a bigger die for his meat grinder so insted of itty bitty chunks of meat i have big hearty chunks of meat...dont know if the judges like that or not but hey....i like it that way.
now if im not cooking for a cook off and im fixing chili i use beans and 4 mexican cheese and a little sour cream with some tortilla chips or frito scoops. depends on what is on sale....lol

Welcome shayneyasinski, where are you from? I like beans but I think they can easily overpower the taste of the chili. I wish they'd show more chili competitions on the food network as this always inspires me.

oh ps.... could you post the recipe and ill see if you need to add or take away something or see if your on track.
(gee i hope he dosen't see this as a ploy to get the recipe)
(im i thinking this in my mind or typing it on the computer??)
oh crap!! stop typing stop typing

Winning Recipe

J.R.'s Rough and Ready Chili

Ingredients:

3 pounds beef tri-tip, chopped
2 ounces sausage
1 ounce rendered beef fat
1 medium onion, diced
1 tablespoon garlic powder
1 green Ortega pepper, remove seeds and dice fine
1/2 ounce salt
1/4 teaspoon fine black pepper
2 ounces Gebhardt(R) chili powder
1/2 ounce California chili powder
1/2 ounce New Mexico powder
1/2 ounce cumin
1/2 teaspoon pequin powder
1 - 2 14 ounce cans chicken broth
1 six ounce can Hunt's(R) Tomato Sauce
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Tabasco sauce to taste

Instructions:

Saute onion and green pepper in rendered beef fat in a 3 quart pot. Add garlic powder and half of chili powder. Add half a can of chicken broth, mix well and set aside. Brown sausage and beef in a skillet about one pound at a time. Drain and add meat to onion mix. Add remaining chili powder and remaining can of chicken broth. Cook for 30 minutes on low heat. Add tomato sauce, cumin, cayenne pepper and pequin powder. Add more broth as needed and cook until meat is tender, about two to three hours. Add a dash of Tabasco sauce if needed for heat.

gebhardt i belive is a store brand (probaly get it on the internet somewhere but the other you would get from pendry's or mild bill's spices
ive dealt with both mild bill's is more personable and pendrys to me is more business. i have cooked with mild bill super nice guy. makes a mean margarita. im gonna say california is a light chili and new mexico is dark and probably hotter.

I've done a roast in 'em and shredded it after it has cooked for a bit of time and use ground chuck I like the consistancy of the two meats ... I have used left over brisket and that my friend is fantastic
I like it with beans probably because I grew up with it that way and it doesnt seem finished

TB - you might be right about the ribeye or porterhouse tasting great in chili, I'm not that picky for what cut of meat I put in my chili I've never really taste tested them all, because its not a big deal to me.I'll even use burger, IMO the meat in chili is not the main flavor its just there for texture to eat some meat chunks.

when it comes to whats the best flavor or food its a personal preference for everyone. when shayneyasinski asked whats the best cuts on a cow. for me it is the tenderlions & backstraps :lol: which might be called something else on the store shelf ? fillet migon ?
but then again I wouldnt ever think about using those cuts in chili IMO it'd be a disgrace to those cuts, only grilling or sauteing does them justice! nothing better than having FRESH tenderlions or backstrap sauted in garlic/onions with some herbs :lol:
but ribeyes & porterhouse are dam tasty too.

shayneyasinski said:
http://www.chilicookoff.com/Winner/Winner_Champions.asp?Cat=1

I have been looking through alot of them and thought i would start here first.
I know that it will not be the same as chili powder is hard to compare but i want to try this way of making it.
I used to love 7-11 chili cheese dogs as they had no beans in it .
and for tabasco ...... not in my chili .

if you ever had it the dairy queen foot long chili dogs were good too

CH...ground beef works for me too bro, any meat for that matter. Worst chili I ever tried though was a tofu chili. After eating it I couldn't get the horrible taste of patchouli oil and hippy out of my mouth while puking it up. Afterwards my mouth smelled and tasted like the whole red Chinese army walked through it barefoot! I'll stick to red meat. Got cat?

Back