• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing with Light

So I know most people use a 5700 Light or higher, I recently have a 2500 lightbulb and my plants are doing fine but they just dont seem to grow as fast, I was thinking of growing with this light for the only reason that i havent had time to go to a Home Depot, Today I walked to the 99Cent store and saw 2 light bulbs for 1 Dollar, I checked and the Bulb is 4700 so I got it to try it out, will this work better and or should I just go to my Home Depot and get a 5700+?

around 4100K and around 6500K is what you need! both is better!

sure tehre is "aqarium" bulb which emits a better spectrum.. but with tthe typical 4100 and 6500 you will have what your plant need.. you can check my glog... you will see the effect of my shoplight fluo with both different fluo in the same shoplight

Thanks, Well I got them because 50cents each was an Ok price and they are Compact Fluorecent bulbs, and why not give them a chance, I will give your blog a nice look and take notes

I use a 7200K bulb, I am seeing amazing results! IMO the more blue the spectrum during the grow stage the better! 2700K for flowering and such. But atleast 6500K+ for growth stage

The fact that your plants are not growing probably has to do more with the lumens that light is putting out. Yes a bulb in the 2700k range is the wrong spectrum for vegitative growth, but you would still have the plant growing in one way or another, whether it be flowering and budding or vegetative growth. In the summer the sun gives plants the most light from the blue end of the spectrum. When fall comes around the angle of the sun is different causing the red spectrum of light to dominate. That along with the shorter day time and colder temperatures is what causes the plants to flower and produce buds.

If you plan on growing these plants all the way through indoors then you need to really get your lighting down. Even if you are going to plant out, you don't want your plant getting leggy or stunting its growth. If it does flower, pull them until it can get into the proper conditions for what you want it to do.

probably that for teh same amouth of lumen... if you are on the right spot you wil lhave better result...

anyway i think he's looking for cheap and good way to grow...

usually the high output lights are more costly and not dolar store oriented ;)

shoplight with 2 fluo t8 or t12 fluo put one 4100 and 6500 you in! cost 20$

Wham bat bring the heat

I'm talking exactly that Hammerfell. If he is buying lights from the dollar store, I doubt they are over 600 lumens..lol. You can get what Hammerfell said with the tube lights or even go to walmart and get some CFL's. They sell 6500K CFL's producing roughly 5800 lumens for 9-11 bucks a piece...they also come in 2700K. Or if you have the space, buy a 6 pack of the lower watt ones and use them.

The HID are very expensive and you really need to be careful with them. I don't recommend them unless they are somewhat experienced or are growing all the way out indoors. Even then you can make it work with Fluoro tubes or CFL's.

Well I Got a Giftcard for HomeDepot so I can get some good Bulbs just that Today I went to the Dollar store and Saw this ones, they are only 900 Lumens so its not that Great but for 50cents I wanted to test it out, I will go out and Buy a Good Bulb soon, but I just want my seedlings Using the Lights and once they are Big Enough Ill take em outside, its not that cold, All my other plants and seedlings are outside even during the night, I actually want to buy the bulbs in this site http://www.1000bulbs.com/ they actually have some good deals, its just the shipping that makes up for the rest.

Well I Got a Giftcard for HomeDepot so I can get some good Bulbs just that Today I went to the Dollar store and Saw this ones, they are only 900 Lumens so its not that Great but for 50cents I wanted to test it out, I will go out and Buy a Good Bulb soon, but I just want my seedlings Using the Lights and once they are Big Enough Ill take em outside, its not that cold, All my other plants and seedlings are outside even during the night, I actually want to buy the bulbs in this site http://www.1000bulbs.com/ they actually have some good deals, its just the shipping that makes up for the rest.

When I was in a bind for $ when I first started. I went to walmart and bought me a 2 pack of daylight bulbs for $6.50 or so. the bulbs were 6500K and put out 1,600 lumens. All you have to do is screw it into a desk lamp and your good to go! :)

Hmm, I wonder if you will get early flowers with that light. It's better than no light. Do you have a sunny window you could put them on with the light?

Ahhh, I missed this part. They should have some good shop lights. I found some good 4" T12 florescent lights that give over 3k lumens each with 6500K. I'm sure you can find good bulbs there too.

Wow Walmart always seems to be having the best deals but im not such a Walmart Person after this one Walmart Movie, at times I dont Care but in this case I have a Home Depot Card but Walmart seems to top that, and I also want to get one of those T# set ups but dont have much room in my room lol Now I have to go To walmart lol

Wow Walmart always seems to be having the best deals but im not such a Walmart Person after this one Walmart Movie, at times I dont Care but in this case I have a Home Depot Card but Walmart seems to top that, and I also want to get one of those T# set ups but dont have much room in my room lol Now I have to go To walmart lol

I found a better deal on lights at Lowes. It only cost me about 18 dollars for the shop light and fluorescents I mentioned. These types of stores have a much bigger variety :) . The Walmart here didn't have much of a selection.

They sell 6500K CFL's producing roughly 5800 lumens for 9-11 bucks a piece.

what is the wattage of these bulbs?...has to be 80+ and close to 300W equivalent for 5800 lumens...the largest ones I have seen at walmart is the 42 watt (150 eq) ones and they produce ~2800 lumens...

You are correct. I believe they are 200w equivalent. I dont know the watts I was just passing buy and picked up the box. Why I retained all the other info but not the actual wattage IDK lol. Ill prob. Go today anf Ill snap a pic and post it here.

Well. If you plan to grow them indoors, it's not just the spectrum that matters, it's also the lumens! From my own experience, light intensity is very important, especially during the flowering and fruiting period! For peppers though, since they continuously grow and flower, a mix of light spectrums is ideal. My plants were not very productive under my 4 CFLs that I had. The flowers did not produce much pollen, and the flowers came few and far. After adding an additional 2 though, the flowers started to pop out in large numbers, and the plants grew like mad!

Well. If you plan to grow them indoors, it's not just the spectrum that matters, it's also the lumens! From my own experience, light intensity is very important, especially during the flowering and fruiting period! For peppers though, since they continuously grow and flower, a mix of light spectrums is ideal. My plants were not very productive under my 4 CFLs that I had. The flowers did not produce much pollen, and the flowers came few and far. After adding an additional 2 though, the flowers started to pop out in large numbers, and the plants grew like mad!
I never knew how important lights are and how detailed it has to be to grow indoors but for now i want the bulbs to work for my seedlings as soon as they get as big as 6-10 inches tall they will go outside and stay there

Back