• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing TS Morouga side-by-side with Brain Strain

I'm growing these for the first time this year. The plants look different to me, have a look and post some pics too.

TS Morouga on top and Brain Strain below:
TSMorougaandBrainStrain.jpg

TS Morouga:
TSMorouga2.jpg

Brain Strain:
BrainStrain3.jpg

Brain Strains:
BrainStrain2.jpg

Brain Strain:
BrainStrain1.jpg

Here's a 7 Pot Barrackpore for comparison, I think the Brain Strain looks more like this plant:
Barrackpore.jpg

Another shot of the TS Morouga:
TSMorouga1.jpg

You can definitely see a difference between the two. What are the sources for the seeds?

This is a great thread. Thanks for starting it.

Here are my seed sources:

Brain Strain: bigt and JungleRain
7 Pot Barrackpore: cmpman1974 and JungleRain
TS Morouga: JungleRain

I didn't even know before a couple of weeks ago that there was any debate about whether the Morouga and the Brain Strain were the same pepper or not. I've never had the Morouga, although I'm growing it this year, and I have had a Brain Strain. From what I can tell, the pods themselves look like they're in the Trinidad branch of the C.Chinense species, with the bumpy pods and tail-like protrusion on the bottom, but the Morouga always looked broader to me, more like a Scotch Bonnet, and the Brain Strain looks to me more closely related to the Scorpion.

They look the same to me. They are both chinense's, so in essence, they should look the same. One being a little more round than the other has no greater meaning...

They look the same to me. They are both chinense's, so in essence, they should look the same. One being a little more round than the other has no greater meaning...

Edit: hmm, I'm not sure. Some environmental factors affect the shapes of the leaves.

Nice pics!!
To me the heat level/flavor is the same, but I’ll leave it up to the experts to decode their DNA. It doesn’t matter to me either way. I just need something to write down on the marker/seed baggie.

I think I will spend a little more time comparing the flowers of the two.

This is a little like the debate between the Bhut/Bih/Naga/Dorset a couple of years ago. Only a genetic analysis will settle this for certain, since when Neil from THSC sent his to be tested, they showed that they were all different cultivars, but very closely related. Hopefully, with the Morouga being given a little more attention these days, the Brain Strain will also be noticed, and the legit DNA testing can commence and settle this one once and for all. Either way, I can vouch for the Brain Strain as being the hottest goddamn pod I've ever eaten! I ate only half of one with food and milk in my stomach, and I got the WORST stomach ache ever from any pepper-related foods! Even if the Morouga is the same, they are seriously F***ing hot! I have yet to try the dreaded 7-Pot Brown, or the Douglah, so my opinion on the hottest may change. For now, however, the Brain Strain is my champ for heat!

I totally agree, there are huge differences in my Chinense plants that were visible from the first set of true leaves.

Heat wise I can't tell the difference between the Satan's/Infinity/BS, they all will burn holes through your tongue and stomach.

I totally agree, there are huge differences in my Chinense plants that were visible from the first set of true leaves.

Some are not even pure c. chinese (bhut jolokia for instance). I'd expect the leaves and growth behavior to vary (we see this in other species' variations). I'm pretty sure the bih jolokia also showed some c. frutescens in the DNA test.

Just because they are the same species absolutely does not mean that they should look the same.

See if you can tell the difference in the pods:

Nice pics. Since this is my first year growing I am of course no authority, but simply the plant leaf morphology so far seems to indicate a difference. I'm not even sure how truly stable the TS Morouga or Brain Strain are... but if anyone else spots these kinds of differences, please post some pics. From what I've seen looking at non-fruit morphological characters helps.

I was planning on doing this experiment before all this nonsense started. My plan was to compare pods. 7 pot red sr.. 2 different sources of red brain strain,and TS morouga scorpion. Also yellow brain strain... yellow 7 pot sr strain and yellow 7 pot. Let's all hope the bleeding deacons and belligerent vendors stay clear and this can be enjoyable,and educational experience.

TS Morouga
2012-03-26_20-28-05_258.jpg

Red Brain Strain
2012-03-26_20-28-15_997.jpg

Seeds for both of these are from pepperlover.com All 3 of tge TSMorouga plants I started had rounder leaves.

Nice pics... I'm not growing the yellow brains, but I am growing yellow 7s from two different sources, the one I grew last year was almost brainy anyway. One can only grow so many yellow 7s ;-)

I was planning on doing this experiment before all this nonsense started. My plan was to compare pods. 7 pot red sr.. 2 different sources of red brain strain,and TS morouga scorpion. Also yellow brain strain... yellow 7 pot sr strain and yellow 7 pot. Let's all hope the bleeding deacons and belligerent vendors stay clear and this can be enjoyable,and educational experience.

TS Morouga
2012-03-26_20-28-05_258.jpg

Red Brain Strain
2012-03-26_20-28-15_997.jpg

Seeds for both of these are from pepperlover.com All 3 of tge TSMorouga plants I started had rounder leaves.
"..belligerent vendors stay clear..." :rofl:

Back