• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing TS Morouga side-by-side with Brain Strain

if i "get it" somewhat correct

y'all are not growing out one or two hundred plants of two varieties

y'all are growing one or two plants of hundreds of varieties

for genetics testing would likely have a better chance of stability and or differences growing two lots of hundreds

the bumpy pods from trinidad may have been some fringe division of cardi's (or 3M or Monsanto or Simplot ) paint strain or 'weapons' strain

i am still hopeful the trinidad chili heads have been selectively saving more of these facemelter strains

at some point you ( we ) have lost track of the meaning of: pure, hybrid, stable and isolated.

isolated means no ( or very little chance ) of unknown genes being added ( like from bees or wind )

we know the pepper ridge farm does not isolate
if you look at most grows you will see they do not either ( and might comment on how it is not important also )

we may use isolation strategies but things always find a way

your results may vary

:shame:

That is good information, but this thread is supposed to track the plant development and similarities. There is already a debate thread, and the isolation discussion would be better suited to continue that debate.

I just want to see this thread continue with side by side comparison and not isolation and purity debates.

This isn't a flame, please don't take it that way.

That is good information, but this thread is supposed to track the plant development and similarities. There is already a debate thread, and the isolation discussion would be better suited to continue that debate.

I just want to see this thread continue with side by side comparison and not isolation and purity debates.

This isn't a flame, please don't take it that way.

Amen bro... The fun police always have to show up. Sometimes as threads grow people lose track of why they were started initially. It's always good to read the topic before you climb atop your soapbox.

I forgot to add this pic when I posted my side by side pics in the beginning. My 3 morougas all showed very rounded leaves from a young age,grew slower,and had more purpling than most of my other plants also.
2012-02-12_18-42-07_443.jpg

Weird, Prodigal, I wasn't aware that the Morouga did that. Mine isn't like that, and yours is the first one I've seen like that. Usually when the leaves have the purple/black, the peppers will also have that coloring. Maybe your seeds aren't true? Either way, however, that is a healthy seedling!

Very true, Pr0digal!! A select few would chime in solely to argue and belittle others, not paying much attention to the thread topic. The amount of purple in your leaves is a bit on the odd side, so I have to lean toward what Hendrix says. Did you grow Morugas last season as well?

I have a theory with the purpling, because my TSMBs look like that. I think it is the "sunburn" that does it, and the TSMBs may just be more susceptible than most to it. I have some plants that never purple, no matter how close my lights are, but the TSMBs are very touchy. The Red Brains are not as bad. Give me a minute and I will snap a pic.

Ok, here is a few pics:

Left is the TSMB, Right is the Red Brain. I bumped my T5s from 4 bulbs to 6 and overnight I had some significant sunburn on some of the plants. The TSMB and Red BJs got hit the hardest, and some looked like there was never a change. The Brain had a bit of purple, but instead of looking like someone took a purple marker to it, it was more of a crosshatch pattern.
0ea9c24b.jpg

Just for giggles, I threw the yellow Brain in the mix:
fa93db05.jpg

Here is a great comparison shot of the leaves. On the left is the Red Brain, and the right is the TSMB. I got my Brain seeds from Chris and the TSMB from Judy.
b3b79e10.jpg

To me there is no doubt they are different. If they were the same they would grow identical. I can tell the difference from 5 feet away just by looking at the leaves. The brain is more spear-like and the TSMB is more heart shaped. I would have never payed any attention to them, but after some of yall posted your pics, it is extremely apparent now. I am convinced, they are different.

I think some are just more susceptible to Purpling, and some just do it right out of the gate. I have a lot of purple in some of my stems, but my 7 pot original for example is green as can be no matter how close my lights are. My TSMB is just very touchy and purple if the lights are just slightly too close.

Sorry I can't put up any pics, but my 7 pot Jonah's have the same leaf shape as the Brain Strain (spear), in your pic. The first of my Morugas just sprouted yesterday, so I can't tell, obviously, but I will certainly look at the differences between the two and note the/any purpling in them. Brain Strains aren't up yet! Thanks for the info and great pics!!

Glad to see a lot of folks doing side-by-side grows. I think these are different strains with very similar pod shapes, and I think if we look close enough across several grows we can see this without resorting to DNA analysis. We will know for sure by the end of the season.

Edit:

Hey check this out:
Just because they are the same species absolutely does not mean that they should look the same.

See if you can tell the difference in the pods:
pc06closeup.jpg

pc10closeup.jpg

The Brain Strains are on the left and the Morouga Blend pods are on the right in both pictures. You know how you can tell? The Morouga Blend has a 'cleft' on its stinger tip. The Brain Strain does not. The Morouga has straighter sides and tends to have more symmetry than the Brain.

You have me intrigued now, I have some fresh Brain strains and those things seem to hold true.. and now that I'm looking at those pictures it seems dead on
for how my brainstrains look.

Working on germinating both of these varieties (the only Morouga seed I've sowed has germinated surprisingly early). It will take awhile, but I will post pics when I get them growing.

I think some are just more susceptible to Purpling, and some just do it right out of the gate. I have a lot of purple in some of my stems, but my 7 pot original for example is green as can be no matter how close my lights are. My TSMB is just very touchy and purple if the lights are just slightly too close.

I agree that some are more susceptible to the purpling. Put them outside and it disappears. Our seeds sources are the same so maybe that is why we are seeing similarities. I have brain strain from Chris and morouga and brain strain from Judy. Hopefully some folks with different sources will post pics.

Weird, Prodigal, I wasn't aware that the Morouga did that. Mine isn't like that, and yours is the first one I've seen like that. Usually when the leaves have the purple/black, the peppers will also have that coloring. Maybe your seeds aren't true? Either way, however, that is a healthy seedling!
We may be using different lighting. My plants under t8 don't show purpling like my plants under t5. Crosses may happen but I think seeds get mixed up more than crossed. I am not ruling out my seeds not being true though.

Here is a great comparison shot of the leaves. On the left is the Red Brain, and the right is the TSMB. I got my Brain seeds from Chris and the TSMB from Judy.
b3b79e10.jpg

To me there is no doubt they are different. If they were the same they would grow identical. I can tell the difference from 5 feet away just by looking at the leaves. The brain is more spear-like and the TSMB is more heart shaped. I would have never payed any attention to them, but after some of yall posted your pics, it is extremely apparent now. I am convinced, they are different.

That's what I'm talking about, great shot. The fruit are just one characteristic, so if they're too close to call, see what else you can find, like leaf shape. I'm just glad it was this easy to spot... if this leaf shape thing turns out to be accurate, then it is really curious how similar the fruits look on these two different plants. From other threads some people also say the pods themselves are distinguishable by placenta etc., and others say they're just the same, it will be nice to have a few different people weighing in on here come harvest time.

Yea, I definitely think we will see very similar leaves across the board. It is funny that there is so much debate about this, and all you have to do is look at your plants. They will tell ya everything.

Yea, I definitely think we will see very similar leaves across the board. It is funny that there is so much debate about this, and all you have to do is look at your plants. They will tell ya everything.
Wasn't a certain Mr Duffy the one who started the 'rumour' that these were on fact the same varieties? ? I don't think anyone had suggested it before had they?

Back