• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Bac Spot?

As it hasn't stopped raining here for about 2 weeks the inevitable has happened and I think a number of my plants have got bacterial spot. I ordered some see thru plastic sheeting yesterday to make a shelter as there's loads more rain to come but it would appear I'm too late. If it is indeed bacterial spot or something similar, what can I do about it? Will getting a shelter over the plants and really letting them dry out improve matters or is the damage already done? And what can I expect to happen now? I mean, will I still get a harvest? Will the plants die? Can I improve matters at all?

Really appreciate any help

Cheers

Matt

***Edit. As ever, tried to rotate the pics in photobucket but has reverted back to original orientation***

DSC00247.jpg

DSC00249.jpg

DSC00250.jpg

DSC00248.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions, if it continues to get worse I'll have to act. It looks like the weather is starting to turn though, the next 2 days r rain free which is a blessing, but not sure it won't start up again after that. This has been the rainiest/windiest weather I can remember!!! From what I've read it looks like a dry spell will slow the spread of it so I'm just hoping that'll give the plants time to put out new growth faster than it can be destroyed

I had something similar going on the bottom leaves due to continual splashing of the soil on the leaves by the rain. I took all the bottom leaves off the bottom and discarded them....this almost completely took care of my problem, a few scattered leaves remain, but as the plants continue to grow bigger, the plant is dropping them for me....you can actually see a line being formed where the leave connects to the main stem where the plant is aborting the leaf. Fascinating to me that it does this....most of my plants resmble miniature trees now... :P

I also moved mine to an area that would provide the most sun to aid in drying it out....but I have a feeling my sun intensity and yours is not the same....

good luck my friend!

I had something similar going on the bottom leaves due to continual splashing of the soil on the leaves by the rain. I took all the bottom leaves off the bottom and discarded them....this almost completely took care of my problem, a few scattered leaves remain, but as the plants continue to grow bigger, the plant is dropping them for me....you can actually see a line being formed where the leave connects to the main stem where the plant is aborting the leaf. Fascinating to me that it does this....most of my plants resmble miniature trees now... :P

I also moved mine to an area that would provide the most sun to aid in drying it out....but I have a feeling my sun intensity and yours is not the same....

good luck my friend!

Thanks Dude. But I have one question, what is this "sun" you speak of? Is it like a smaller, brighter, hotter version of cloud?

Haha...yeah...something like that. That sucks man, even when it rains here, the sun is hot as hell and humidity stays above 75%. What is the weather supposed to be like right now where you're at?

Hey triple B, sorry about the delayed reply, just done my English A level exam and have been proper frenetic for the last couple of days!!!

Haha...yeah...something like that. That sucks man, even when it rains here, the sun is hot as hell and humidity stays above 75%. What is the weather supposed to be like right now where you're at?

It's always unpredictable here (this year has just been more unpredictably unpredictable) but it would be a safe bet to say it should be like low to mid 20's (70-80F), slightly humid and quite cloudy. The major difference this year has been the unrelenting rain which followed a prolonged drought. Last couple of days have been really good though but it is forecast to change again come tomorrow. At least it will give my plants a breather and let them dry out a bit before the next lot of weather comes in, its the first break in the rain we've had for quite a while.

This sun keeps cooking the swamp here, you can cut the air with a knife.
+1 on Florida heat and humidity!!

I hear that, I've been to Florida a couple times on holiday and man oh man was it humid!

Glad to hear you are getting a break in the weather...hope you're exam went well. Got a possible bacterial issue going on here now...the humidity is relentless. How are your plants looking now?

Glad to hear you are getting a break in the weather...hope you're exam went well. Got a possible bacterial issue going on here now...the humidity is relentless. How are your plants looking now?

Thanks dude, not sure how well it went but sure glad it's over :dance: . The plants haven't got much worse thank god, but new growth is pretty slow and it really could do with being a bit brighter round here. My gardener John reckons the weather is set to vastly improve in July (god I hope he's right) but for the next few days at least its high winds and lots of rain again (YIPEEE!!!).

How are your plants holding up mate? Hopefully you'll be able to get on top of the bacterial issue before it does too much damage, it's a right pain in the Arse isn't it, why can't the weather just co operate once in awhile

How are your plants holding up mate? Hopefully you'll be able to get on top of the bacterial issue before it does too much damage, it's a right pain in the Arse isn't it, why can't the weather just co operate once in awhile

Two of mine aren't looking great. This may be the last of my Thai sun and bird's eye....we will see though.

Code:
We haven't had any more rain and it has been very sunny for most of the rainless days. These damn spots popped up during this period and everywhere a spot develops that leave turns yellow and drops...

Pepper201257.jpg

Two of mine aren't looking great. This may be the last of my Thai sun and bird's eye....we will see though.

Code:
We haven't had any more rain and it has been very sunny for most of the rainless days. These damn spots popped up during this period and everywhere a spot develops that leave turns yellow and drops...

Pepper201257.jpg

I feel your pain mate, I really hope they pull through for you . The thai sun looks good and healthy in every other respect though, hopefully it'll be strong enough to hold out (and hopefully the same is true for your birds eyes). I really love bird eyes and was thinking of giving them a go next year, they are quite prolific producers I've heard, like a couple hundred pods pp?

Well, had to pretty much scalp both plants as nothing seemed to slow the white spots growth. I pulled every leaf that had a spot on it and cut every main stem that had a spot on the stem. Between these two plants I tossed around 500+ green pods and pollinated flowers....such a set back, but in previous years, these things can take a beating and come right back.

As always it seems, perfect timing has now placed another tropical storm off the coast of florida and we have a week of rain projected....hopefully, the AACT I sprayed will help to prevent another leaf spot explosion.

Well, had to pretty much scalp both plants as nothing seemed to slow the white spots growth. I pulled every leaf that had a spot on it and cut every main stem that had a spot on the stem. Between these two plants I tossed around 500+ green pods and pollinated flowers....such a set back, but in previous years, these things can take a beating and come right back.

As always it seems, perfect timing has now placed another tropical storm off the coast of florida and we have a week of rain projected....hopefully, the AACT I sprayed will help to prevent another leaf spot explosion.

Man, hopefully that will help, you must have been gutted having to throw all those delicious pods. I just added some homemade compost to a few of the plants outback, to try and give them a boost, I was gonna save it till next year but I figure they could use the help now, we usually get ridiculously short summers here in the UK so I'm definitely working to a fast approaching deadline. If I composted well then they may still have a chance, if I didn't we'll have alot of dead plants on our hands.

Good luck with the new growth dude

I stumped a bunch once I saw the storm was going to keep things wet for days, will be interesting to see where I end up ...

Winter is so fleeting here though, sometimes NEVER happening in any given year, that I'll start from seed if need be next week and probably still manage to get fruit ... Florida def has it's up's AND down's, no doubt ...

Back