• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Beer Can Chicken

I like to separate the skin from the meat and put my rub inside the skin. Really helps trap the seasoning and lets the seasoning penetrate the meat deeper.
I'll do the same/similar thing... I'll rummage through my "foo foo gadget" drawer (sorry, couldn't resist) and pull out the flavor injector or any handy large bore syringe. I mix up softened unsalted butter with whatever rub i'm using (usually just a basic poultry blend for the sake of my 2,5 & 7 year olds) and inject it down between the skin and flesh as well.
When that bird gets all roasting up in there you can see the rub and butter bubbling away under the skin... mmmmmmm I'm getting a little excited just picturing it! Lol

Reviving this old thread.... My old el cheapo Brinkmann barrel smoker made a damn good beer can chicken... or as we call it down here, Drunken Chicken.

14009030925_8ddec46c76_s.jpg

I kept it below 250... hovered around 225 at the grill surface. See how the top's darker than the rest? An inherent  flaw in the offset smoker. The heat comes out of the firebox, goes straight up, travels along the top of the lid, then out the chimney. I need to make some diffuser plates to correct that

No no no diffuser plates will not fix that, they will only fix the higher heat from the box. To fix your issue, buy pipe and bring the chimney down to grate level. You see, it travels diagonally now, from the firebox to the chimney, and gathers at the top. With a mod, bringing the inner-chimney down to grate level, the smoke and heat are pulled horizontally across the grates from the box to the bottom of the new chimney. However, you will always have higher heat at the top. Always! But the mod fixes a lot. Especially ribs, where the smoke travels straight across the rack.

I had a length of dryer vent from the chimney to grate level, but I couldn't keep it in place. I'll have to look into getting one back on there

dash 2 said:

That right there is one gorgeous picture. You and I cook the same way. I love it!

Awesome sauce! Gotta smoke it up right!
JoynersHotPeppers said:
I am going to do a Walkerswood Jerked Beer can chicken this weekend. Nice bird Buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Make sure you post the pics here. I'd love to see that!

Delicious looking bird Phil! I love drunken chicken. Unfortunately, the best I've had so far has been everyone else's. Still trying to learn the low and slow technique. 
Is there an advantage to using the big hunk of pecan wood for the smoke instead of chips? 

That's a thing of beauty, Chris! Nicely done! I like the corn "accents". Symmetry in nature, and in food!

MeatHead1313 said:
Delicious looking bird Phil! I love drunken chicken. Unfortunately, the best I've had so far has been everyone else's. Still trying to learn the low and slow technique. 
Is there an advantage to using the big hunk of pecan wood for the smoke instead of chips? 

I like using the big log in an indirect way because it smokes more, instead of burning. I find that chips on top of the coals burn up so fast that they have to constantly be tended, even if you soak them they burn up super quick. The log on side tends to not catch fire as quick and helps keep from getting heat spikes due to the fire/flame ups. Easier to keep a regulated temperature too.

Buzz said:
The log on side tends to not catch fire as quick and helps keep from getting heat spikes due to the fire/flame ups. Easier to keep a regulated temperature too.

I think I said the same thing twice. Looks like I repeated myself, as well.

Buzz said:

I like using the big log in an indirect way because it smokes more, instead of burning. I find that chips on top of the coals burn up so fast that they have to constantly be tended, even if you soak them they burn up super quick. The log on side tends to not catch fire as quick and helps keep from getting heat spikes due to the fire/flame ups. Easier to keep a regulated temperature too.
Thanks for the info. I didn't even realise til you explained it that that's similar to how we smoke our sausage and tasso at work  :doh:  :banghead:     

Back