• Everything other than hot peppers. Questions, discussion, and grow logs. Cannabis grow pics are only allowed when posted from a legal juridstiction.

Super Thrive....Snake oil or the real deal?

Have any of you tried this product side by side with other methods of fertilization?

The reason I ask is because a friend of my brother uses it on his Canna and my brother called me today and told me he saw his friends plants and although they are only in 5 gallon pots like mine, his are 5' tall, about 5-6' wide and the buds are as big as your fist.
I live 1/4 mile or so from where this guy is growing at and my plants were 3' tall less than 2' across and the buds were maybe 1-1/2-2" in diameter.
Also, his plants have all dark green leaves while mine at harvest were yellow.

What gives? All this guy says he does is give them some Super Thrive, a little Miracle-grow and he waters a gallon a day per plant.

Did he just get clones with superior genetics or does Super Thrive really make that much difference?

All the science I study and try to apply and this guy's plants make mine look sick. I don't get it.

Thoughts from you Canna growers or those who think Super Thrive makes a big difference?

Superthrive has auxins........growth regulators in it.

Normally superthrive is best known for helping plants during transplant.

Superthrive has auxins........growth regulators in it.

Normally superthrive is best known for helping plants during transplant.

That's what people say and that is what most canna growers that I have read say as well.
I am baffled by what this guy is doing to create such huge plants. I don't believe extra water is the key which he claims as a container only holds so much moisture and the rest runs out the bottom.

Too much superthrive actually acts as a defoliant, you have to be care with it.

Sounds like he is a good grower

Look on any of the dope boards, a lot of guys swear by Superthrive, they buy it in gallon containers.

Look on any of the dope boards, a lot of guys swear by Superthrive, they buy it in gallon containers.

Yes and I have read from other growers who call it "snake oil."

Birdfather, the guy is using a clone from the same dispensary that mine came from.
Jedisushi, Super Thrive is sold at Walmart and just about everywhere else.
Maybe it's the Miracle Grow? The fact that he has all dark green leaves baffles me.
My brother said each plant probably has 2 lbs on it.

Guess I need to do some tests with Superthrive next season on flowers, peppers, etc to see if it creates any noticable changes.
Superthrive is cheap compared to some of the nutrients they sell at the hydro store.

I think it all comes down to the clones you start with. My friend and I cloned some blue dream and then bought five from a local shop our clones in the ground grew to 12-13 feet high 7 feet wide yielding about 3 pounds per plant and we had some in 100 gallon smart pots that grew to 7 feet from pot 5-6 feet wide yielding about a 2 pounds per plant. The ones from the shop that were in the ground only grew to about 6 feet and maybe 4 feet wide they just wouldn't get wider even after topping, theyre buds werent as big nor had as much resin as ours did. They all received the same gh ferts and a few other additives.

I first saw this stuff at Home Depot and brushed it off as "snake oil." Even the packaging looks like classic snake oil, with "cure-all claims." Then I saw the stuff at Discount Hydroponics in all sizes, small up to a gallon. I asked the guy behind the counter if it actually worked. He was the first to inform me that it was mostly B1. OK, so it may be good for transplants. I didn't know about the auxins.

Anyway, I just put my 3' tall Aji Panca into fresh soil, and used Superthrive along with Bioweed. The plant never showed any transplant shock. Then again, I don't know if it would have shown evidence of shock without one or both of those products. Didn't seem to kill the plant, anyway. Might be fun to generate two clones from one plant and use Superthrive on one only and see what happens.

I use it in the cloning process, seed germ, as a diluted supplement throughout the indoor grow and oudoors in the watering can for the flower beds. It is the same thing that the
"Medicine Man" was pushing in the cowboy movies..........right?..........hah

Seriously, I like the stuff.............just don't over do it

From a very reliable source that I spoke with this morning...if you use superthrive, the mixture must be used within 10 days. After 10 days the auxins are no longer available to the plant.

Not for mixing and long term storage.

Superthrive is not what is giving him bigger plants it will help with the overall health of the plant. It is more than likely what is in his soil mix (beneficial bacteria, better drainage, etc.) that is making his plants so much bigger.

Look up subcool super soil mix and give it a try it will work wonders.

Lock203, He is using Super Soil that I used last year from Home Depot.
It's nothing special and doesn't even have pearlite in it.
I know it's not what you are talking about but thought I would throw this out there as well.
Doesn't sound like he's doing anything special so I think he just has clones with great genetics.

197906_SuperSoilPottingMix08_std.jpg

Lock203, He is using Super Soil that I used last year from Home Depot.
It's nothing special and doesn't even have pearlite in it.
I know it's not what you are talking about but thought I would throw this out there as well.
Doesn't sound like he's doing anything special so I think he just has clones with great genetics.

197906_SuperSoilPottingMix08_std.jpg

The orchid company I worked for made this stuff. Rod McLellan.

it's basically steamed/sterilized soil.

IMO there are cheaper alternatives that offer comparable quality, but that;s just my $.02 - dunno if SS is cheap where you get it or not.

Back