• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

=[ grantmichaels' skunkworx thread ]=

This is my thread. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

My thread is my best friend. It is my life. I must master it as I must master my life.

My thread, without me, is useless. Without my thread, I am useless. I must fire my grill true. I must shoot my dishes straighter than my enemy who are trying to outshoot me. I must shoot food before it shoots me. I will...

My thread and myself know that what counts in this war is not the dishes we fix, the noise or pots clanging, or the smoke we make. We know that it is the hit dishes that count. We will hit...

My thread is human, even as I, because it is my life. Thus, I will learn it as a brother. I will learn its weaknesses, its strength, its parts, its photos, its visitos and its banter. I will keep my thread clean and ready, even as I am clean dirty and ready. We will become part of each other. We will...

Before God, I swear this creed. My thread and myself are the defenders of my cuisine. We are the masters of our enemy. We are the saviors of my life.

So be it, until victory is America's and there is no enemy, but peace!​
9879E4FD-1F8D-4BB5-A472-311B4F2B5EF7-362-00000118D806EFDD.jpg

So as not to have to endure people's interpretations of the rules, I'm squatting in this hole, where there are no rules whatsoever. Feel free to share in this thread, there are no rules here. Be free.

Sweet, looking forward to that ...

Reminds me, I'm going to spruce up my starter tonight, and get it healthy again through a few iterations ...

Grant, here is a picture tutorial of making hamburger buns with sourdough starter.

All the dry ingredients

IMG_5225.JPG

All the wet ingredients

IMG_5227.JPG

Pour wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and knead for 6 minutes in a Kitchenaid

Rest the dough for a few minutes, then knead for another 2 minutes

IMG_5228.JPG

Put dough in a bowl to rise 2-3 hours should do it

IMG_5229.JPG

Dough has risen.

IMG_5230.JPG

Turn onto a floured surface, scale and ball to the size you want.

IMG_5232.JPG

Done

IMG_5235.JPG

I'm cool w/ all of that, but it's the "all the wet ingredients" part that I'm lost on!

How to use one's starter as an ingredient ...

When and how to feed it, or not, when you want to use it ...

Do you use it by volume or weight? ...

That stuff.

Although that you show is also helpful, because it makes it look straightforward from the KitchenAid onward ...

The wet ingredients will vary from recipe to recipe.  That is 1/2 cup of fully active starter, water, milk, eggs and honey.  

There is very little sourdough taste in these as opposed to when I make bread, that is just due to the ferment/rising time.  

Here is how you know when your starter is active…let's say you have 2 cups of unfed starter in a Cambro, feed it 1/2 cup of flour and a similar amout of water.  When the starter rises a few inches in the Cambro it is becoming active.   For me it has been trial and error when the starter is most active.  The starter after it is fed will rise, then deflate again…you ideally want to use it when it is at it's peak.  
I may be off a little on my methods, but from what I have read, I think it is correct.

As far as deconstructing a recipe and substituting the starter for flour and water, I have not done that yet.  From what I read, you always do it by weight and not volume as weight is supposed to be more accurate.  

To simplify it, it a recipe calls for 100 grams of flour, and 100 grams of water, you can replace that with 75 grams of flour, and 75 grams of water, and 50 grams of your starter.  Weight is still 200 grams in each instance, but in the second example 50 grams of starter theoretically gives you 25 grams each of flour and water.   

Hope that answers a few of your questions.   

That's the exact answer I've been missing.

Now I'll be all set.

I'll revive the yeast through a couple of small -> large iterations of frequent feedings (tossing off all the extra), and then when it's on it's 3rd fed moment i'll steal some starter and sub it into any old slider bun recipe i want to make and we'll see what happens ...

I usually steer clear of middle eastern food but my best friends sister dated a arab and he used to take me to this hole in the wall shishkabob place. They would pack a well seasoned "ground beef?" onto a sword and cook it over open fire then slide it into a styrofoam container with pita bread and lemon wedges. Shit was bomb. 

I ate a lot of Middle Eastern food when one of my ex-gf's was a waitress at a 'raunt that specialized in it ...

It took a little while to figure out what I liked most, but it was pretty tasty!

I forgot to shoot PoL for the TD sliders ...

So, I'll post them here ...

IMG_0700.jpg

Savory Butter Hawaiian Rolls ...

IMG_0708.jpg

Rougie Duck and Benton's Bacon fat ...

IMG_0712.jpg

Relish, BV Pearls, Roma Tomato Slices, Canadian Bacon, Kewpie Searzal'd Hawaiian Slider Rolls ...

IMG_0724.jpg

Getting happy in the pan with bag juices from the sous vide ...

IMG_0730.jpg

Searzall'd Smoked Gouda and placed ham ...

IMG_0736.jpg

At first there were 3x ...

IMG_0749.jpg

And then there were but two ...

IMG_0743.jpg

Man, were they spot on ...

Kind of glad I don't have to type of text ...

Peace!

iPhone snaps ...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273607.292737.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273615.948299.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273624.217893.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273637.345042.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273649.362052.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273658.929984.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273670.314497.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273679.371238.jpg

Dessert!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434273711.115810.jpg