• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Fantastic Ramon!   A true preacher of the MoA!   What beautiful pods mon,  for surely some of the best!    I cannot wait for some pods on my plants!  Looking forward to more buddy! :clap:

I'm using the BN to get at fungus gnat larvae in the peppers, root weevils
in the rhododrendons, cut worms in the raised beds.  According to the
poop sheet, they affect just about all larvae that inhabit the soil, but do
not adversely affect other beneficial insects, or earthworms because the
nematodes just pass through their gut,  I guess.  As you can see, I'm a
wealth of information about them   :liar;)

Great pod pics, and the lizard patrol is just awesome.  They will take care
of lots of bad guys for you, for sure.

WalkGood said:
No more hornworm pictures from me as I hate them bastards [SIZE=14pt]-_- [/SIZE]

I killed another one this morning, does anyone know or have a link to how they look when first hatching or very small? I find some droppings that are microscopic compared to the poop that the big ones drop. BTW that’s how I found the one I killed this morning, I saw the poop and recognized it, BAM I cut him in half quickly. I am still monitoring a jarred egg now for well over a week but it’s not hatched and for all I know it might not as the leaf it’s sitting on is now dried up. I’d like to kill the one I can not find on the plant that he’s pooping by. Thanks for any feedback ^_^
They tiny ones look just like the big ones....The blacklight makes the tiny ones glow in the dark too :) I killed many many many of the baby ones last year :)
I haven't seen any here yet, but I am ready for the buggers, if they show up...lol

Inner beauty hot sauce by Jennifer Thompson Hot Sauce Book

2 cups of fresh bonnets, stemmed and chppped
1 cup ballpark style yellow mustard
1 mango peeled pitted and chopped
1/2 cup fresh squeezed Oj
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Add all to blender or food processor.

Pour and seal in fridge. Will last about 3 weeks in fridge. 

Oh... Ramone.... 

Here's a recently popped MoA seedling (Sawyer kindly sent me 3 seeds :) ) In the fall, I hope it produces like yours are!!!

Here is a pair of your Ja Habs :) The biggest ones.

And after all that stupid hornworm talk, I went out to the porch and saw this...

First ones this year, all on that poor poblano plant.

All three experienced "death by crushing" :) I'm going to get out the blacklight and check the plant more closely in a few minutes!

OK Ramon.... Sorry for the evil enemy photos....

But here is the light I use.... it's a geologist mineral uv light... very old, very heavy... uses 2 of those big fat square 6v batteries..so it's 12v total...

So I went on a night hunt out in the main garden, and found 7 little ones... 1-2" long...... So apparently it has begun..... And it seems they like tomatillos.. I found 4 of the 7 on the tomatillos.
The only good hornworm, is one in a bucket....lol

OK, I promise to not post anymore of those H-Worm photos in your glog from now on :)

DesertChris said:
Here's a recently popped MoA seedling (Sawyer kindly sent me 3 seeds :) ) In the fall, I hope it produces like yours are!!!
Which I in turn received from Steve954.  More kudos to Steve!

Edit:  Ramon, I mistakenly posted this over in Paul's glog, but I'll repost here, since it's meant for you.

Wasn't it you that got some traditional SBs from an older Jamaican market lady?  Did you grow those?  How do they compare to the MoAs?

I had to combine posts and delete a few emoticons for this reply to work, Chris I also replied to you within your post in red.
romy6 said:
Nice night shots Ramon. Hard to find a horn worm at night much less during the day. :fireball:

I have a great hot sauce recipe with mango's. Let me find it and I will post it. :party:

Inner beauty hot sauce by Jennifer Thompson Hot Sauce Book

2 cups of fresh bonnets, stemmed and chppped
1 cup ballpark style yellow mustard
1 mango peeled pitted and chopped
1/2 cup fresh squeezed Oj
1/2 cup distilled white vinegar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 teaspoon of ground coriander
salt and freshly ground pepper to taste

Add all to blender or food processor.

Pour and seal in fridge. Will last about 3 weeks in fridge.
How true Jamie, I’ve been finding them by seeing their poop droppings as I can not spot them after hatching, I think they’re much smaller than the pictures we have seen. Thank you for the mango recipe, I might try that one instead of mine, which reminds me I haven't posted it yet :/

Jamison said:
Fantastic Ramon! A true preacher of the MoA! What beautiful pods mon, for surely some of the best! I cannot wait for some pods on my plants! Looking forward to more buddy! :clap:
Thank you Jamison you are too kind! I can’t wait till you have some to taste also … I’m dying to hear how others interpret the taste, I seriously love it … the other 3 or 4 green pods left on the plant to ripen are all “C or D” grade, no bonnets but I’m sure they’ll taste the same.

PaulG said:
I'm using the BN to get at fungus gnat larvae in the peppers, root weevils
in the rhododrendons, cut worms in the raised beds. According to the
poop sheet, they affect just about all larvae that inhabit the soil, but do
not adversely affect other beneficial insects, or earthworms because the
nematodes just pass through their gut, I guess. As you can see, I'm a
wealth of information about them :liar:

Great pod pics, and the lizard patrol is just awesome. They will take care
of lots of bad guys for you, for sure.
Paul thanks for the info on BN, very informative that’s why I love dis place, hat’s off mon \o_ Also thanks for the kudos but I’m still loving your backyard look much more than mine except da pool, hehehe

DesertChris said:
They tiny ones look just like the big ones....The blacklight makes the tiny ones glow in the dark too :) I killed many many many of the baby ones last year :)
I haven't seen any here yet, but I am ready for the buggers, if they show up...lol
Hat’s off \o_ for all the information and pictures, great job Chris!

Oh... Ramone....

Here's a recently popped MoA seedling (Sawyer kindly sent me 3 seeds) In the fall, I hope it produces like yours are!!!
Awesome on the MoA, it will produce and I hope you have the chance to OW it after you harvest some delicious pods ^_^

Here is a pair of your Ja Habs ... The biggest ones.
Congrats, great job! I can’t wait to here how you like the taste and heat, I love this pepper!

And after all that stupid hornworm talk, I went out to the porch and saw this...First ones this year, all on that poor poblano plant. All three experienced "death by crushing" I'm going to get out the blacklight and check the plant more closely in a few minutes!
I’m glad you caught them and killed, nothing like a successful search and destroy mission ^_^

OK Ramon.... Sorry for the evil enemy photos....
No apologies needed this is great info for me and others, great post!

But here is the light I use.... it's a geologist mineral uv light... very old, very heavy... uses 2 of those big fat square 6v batteries..so it's 12v total...
Looks expensive, I’ll probably be getting the cheapo but definitely needed. I saw some extremely small poop yesterday under my Choco Hab and I knew one was there but could not find it. Well this morning I looked again and it was the size of the small ones you posted … squish!

So I went on a night hunt out in the main garden, and found 7 little ones... 1-2" long...... So apparently it has begun..... And it seems they like tomatillos.. I found 4 of the 7 on the tomatillos.
Read back and you had said you didn’t have any yet, I’m so glad you checked and put them to an early grave, hahahaha … good on you brethren!

The only good hornworm, is one in a bucket....lol
Or a dead one, lolz!

OK, I promise to not post anymore of those H-Worm photos in your glog from now on ...
Feel free to post pictures and share your knowledge, that’s what this whole place is all about, again thank you! And can't wait for your next post ^_^

Sawyer said:
Still out of "likes".

Jamie's recipe - select, copy, paste, save.

That night shot of the brown pod up thread looks like some sort of reptilian head.
Sawyer do what I do, use these and hit them up later
209rc.jpg

Sawyer said:
Which I in turn received from Steve954. More kudos to Steve!
This is awesome … in a few years everyone on THP should have a MoA, spreading the pepper love is what it’s all about \o/

I’m thinking this is some form of moth cocoon but am unsure. It looks nothing like a ladybug cocoon after the larva stage, it looks more like a little junk pile but I’m sure it’s some form of cocoon. It's alive, attached via a sticky substance and reacts to touch ... Anyone seen this before?

I’m going to isolate it into a jar to see what hatches, doubt it’s anything good but you let me know, thank you in advance …

2u91s0j.jpg

jskcap.jpg

As always, thank you for sharing your knowledge with me and others ... you guys/gals are da best \o/ Hope everyone has a great day and weekend ^_^

"It's alive, attached via a sticky substance and reacts to touch "

What kind of reaction?  Perhaps its a larva that has built a house
for itself and is living in that wad of fluff, sort of like a caddis fly larva
that builds a tube out of tiny pebbles to live in?  Maybe you ought to
take a look inside.

Devv said:
Liked the night shots and agree with Sawyer, the choc hab made me think gator!

Don't know what that funky looking bundle is..
You are both right and the last one looks like an alien head shot, hope they taste out of dis world, lols. Thanks for looking at that bundle … I don’t know either.

PaulG said:
"It's alive, attached via a sticky substance and reacts to touch "

What kind of reaction? Perhaps its a larva that has built a house
for itself and is living in that wad of fluff, sort of like a caddis fly larva
that builds a tube out of tiny pebbles to live in? Maybe you ought to
take a look inside.
Paul the reaction is movement from the little thing but not motion as it appears as if it were glued to the leaf. Hmm fly larva could be, what I did was remove the leaf and put it into a jar to see if anything hatches. Rather than use another jar it’s in the same one with the hornworm egg that hasn’t hatched yet, this should be interesting. Unfortunately I probably won’t be able to take a picture thru the glass as it’s rounded and would probably distort but that won’t stop me if something hatches. Thank you both for the input ^_^

Off to lunch and I hope to have an interesting photo or two later today. Thanks again and have a good great one!

millworkman said:
Do they glow under blacklight? That would make hunting a hell of a lot easier.
Yep, they glow flourescent green under the blacklight :)
Also if they are the kind with white stripes on the side, the white bits really light up.

The blacklight makes it super easy to find them, way way easier than searching for them in the daytime.

I don’t see a need to reply as the question was asked and answered but I did hit “like dis.” Good question Noah and thanks Chris ^_^

Now for something completely different, Caribbean Mellow Yellow (name inspired by Greg PIC 1).

30nc6mr.jpg

2 measures of sea salt, 2 of powdered mango and 1 of powdered Scotch Bonnet
2prb47t.jpg

The darker yellow is the Scotch Bonnet and the lighter colored yellow is the Mango
2rr5udk.jpg

Toss all dat into da grinder and grind.
del755.jpg

The clumps are not really stuck together, it just looks like that, so in a salt shaker it comes out fine. Both the Bonnet and Mango were grinded twice before. This is the finished look:

Tested on a ham & salami sandwich for lunch, it’s out of this world and our oldest put some into his soup, he says he loves it!

Closer up:

For those of you that make powder this is a must try, heck I'm already thinking of all the other naturally sweet fruits I can mix into my powdered salts ...

As always, thank you for every ting and participating ... have a great day!

PepperJam said:
I have yet to try making powdered salts, let alone fruit infused powdered salts! Thanks for the recipe. Can't wait till my MOA's are yellow.
It’s not hard to do, the prep time for the dehydrator is the only trouble if you need to save seeds, cause if you don’t I just pluck the stem and cut the pod in half seeds disappear in the powder grind. The infused salts are a must do once you have powder and it takes very little time, just play with the measurements. Thanks for the kudos and let me know how you like your MoA pods when you try them.

PaulG said:
The hot salt looks great. That's on my list of must-trys!
Tasty for sure! I’ve been using less salt in my mixes lately and they’re still tasty.

DesertChris said:
Wow, awesome salt/fruit/pepper powder..... I am super jealous of all the pod action you are having.
I can't wIt till mine get to podding....
Once your plants start podding you’ll have a boat load for sure and if you don’t have the freezer space powdering is a great alternative. Thanks for checking mon!

I've used powdered garlic before but IMHO fruits and vegetables give a new twist to powders; I'm already thinking Strawberry Jamaican Habanero, Banana Scotch Bonnet, Orange Scotch Bonnet, Peach Ghost, etc., etc., etc.

Back