• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

stickman said:
That counts... Chickens are just lizards with 2 legs and feathers... ;)
 LOL...too true!

I used to raise them, darned hens would kill the roosters. Had cinder blocks in the hen house, bring in another rooster, come home first day, his head down in the cinder block hole...dead as a hammer...

Devv said:
 LOL...too true!

I used to raise them, darned hens would kill the roosters. Had cinder blocks in the hen house, bring in another rooster, come home first day, his head down in the cinder block hole...dead as a hammer...
Whaaaat?! I' haven't raised chickens in a couple years because the foxes get them exponentially faster than the guineas, but I've never had a cock killed by a hen. Did have a rooster kill another. His name was bloodbath for good reason. He got put down with a shotgun after he scratched my face up good. If I didn't wear glasses I might have lost an eye. Little rooster too, had a napoleanic complex or something.

He lives vicariously through himself.
He once had an awkward moment, just to see how it feels.
Jamaica imports scotch bonnets from him. 
White fly refuse to bite his plants purely out of respect.
In museums, he is allowed to touch the art.
Lizards patrol his garden...he is Ramon, the most interesting man on THP!

Ok, I got this message:
noyfjc.jpg

So I converted some of your quoted posts to italics ...
man I’m so sick of the BS reminds me of that stupid song: And The Sign Says … ♪ ♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

And the sign says "You’re out of likes, you can’t quote too many peeps, you can’t post too many pics …"

Signs, signs, everywhere there's signs
f**kin' up the scenery, breakin' my mind
Do this, don't do that, can't you read the sign

Quote: Devv
LOL, my generation! Where seeing colors wasn't about peppers...

But I never..

WG Sure
;)

PaulG said:
Double ROFLMAO

FreeportBum said:
The shots of the lizard with the hornworm is awesome! No lizards here so I toss them to the chickens :)
Good Great move, chickens need to eat too, hmm that’ll make a few around here queasy, hahaha

stickman said:
That counts... Chickens are just lizards with 2 legs and feathers... ;)
Good call Rick, lol

Peptacular said:
Great stuff man! The shot of the aphids hatching was a great catch! Those white Bhuts are looking quite ghostly haha. And awesome with the lizard eating the green menace. I wonder if the skinks that took up residents in my patch would eat em. I guess they don't do much climbing though. Still seen none of them hornworms, i hope it stays that way. Knock on wood!
So you don’t kill ladybug eggs on your plants, I did not take a picture of aphids hatching. Those were ladybug eggs hatching or did you see some aphids I missed on one of the pictures. I guess it wouldn’t be the first time I missed something, haha on me. Thank you for the kudos mon I really appreciate dem ^_^

Skinks here eat worms, give it a try but like you said most of them don’t climb up on plants here either. I’ve found hornworms on the ground near plants that must have fallen down, the skink patrol you have going could help …

Devv said:
LOL...too true!

Unrelated but reminds me when I lived in JA I visited a chicken processing plant for a company I was doing some consulting for, I couldn’t eat chicken for a week after that visit, lol.

roper2008 said:
Very cool lizard shot. Wish we had those here.
Thank you ^_^

Peptacular said:
Whaaaat?! I' haven't raised chickens in a couple years because the foxes get them exponentially faster than the guineas, but I've never had a cock killed by a hen. Did have a rooster kill another. His name was bloodbath for good reason. He got put down with a shotgun after he scratched my face up good. If I didn't wear glasses I might have lost an eye. Little rooster too, had a napoleanic complex or something.
Interesting story, thanks for popping in and commenting :)

STEVE954 said:
Na, there’s a bunch of interesting peeps here and everyone’s got great stories to share. Just look above at Peptacular’s post, great roster story. This is what’s fun about this place, we are all from different places with different life stories to share and we all come together under one common factor, our love of peppers \o/

I still thank you brethren and hope you have a great weekend ^_^

GA Growhead said:
Badass lizard meets hornworn documentation! Loved it!
Thank you ^_^

PeriPeri
Hey man Ramon, your glog is truly the most entertaining read. Plants, Pods, Food, Insects, Reptiles... man I'm loving it
Thanks Lourens and back at ya mon, I truly enjoyed and enjoy reading yours as well ^_^

Thanks all for popping by commenting, sharing advice, tips and tricks … have a great weekend ^_^

STEVE954 said:
Good one Steve! I nearly coughed up a lung... :rofl:

Oops my bad man! I meant to say aphid eaters. And to borrow the language if I may:
Gwan with the excellent blog mon! Jah will guide I and I on what come from the dut!

That hot fruit salt looked incredible, Ramon.  I bet that is really tasty.  Speaking of tasty, I had no idea a lizard could eat a whole hornworm like that!  Just like a snake eating a mammal larger than itself.  Suppose it makes sense.  Anyway, great photo! 

Peptacular said:
Oops my bad man! I meant to say aphid eaters. And to borrow the language if I may:
Gwan with the excellent blog mon! Jah will guide I and I on what come from the dut!
No problem Taylor, I just wanted to point it out so you wouldn’t kill your ladybug eggs as I’m sure I have at several points in the past :/ Thanks for kudos, you’ve got an awesome glog going too and I love the look of your Jal poppers, I bet they were awesome! BTW if you want some MoA seed pm me ^_^

DocNrock said:
That hot fruit salt looked incredible, Ramon. I bet that is really tasty. Speaking of tasty, I had no idea a lizard could eat a whole hornworm like that! Just like a snake eating a mammal larger than itself. Suppose it makes sense. Anyway, great photo!
Thanks Doc, I hope you try adding some dehydrated fruit to some of your powders or salts, you did an awesome job from what I saw … would love to review one someday when I get a little better with all these peppers that I’ve not tried. Only thing about the lizards and the hornworms that I’m not sure about is if they are now hunting them but I keep and eye on them and it seems to me that more hang around the plants, they’re even sleeping on leaves at night. Hope they’re not killing my ladybugs but I’m guessing that’s par for the course. I am seeing many more ladybug eggs now but the aphids are now showing up, seems that nature does have a balance itself. Have a great week brethren ^_^

Al-from-Chile said:
ramón,

any chance of getting a review of the chocolate Bhut (?) you got going :drooling:

cheers, Al
Al I would love to review it but so far I’ve only tried three and for some reason I can not put my finger on the taste as that’s important for me to describe, not just the heat which is blazing on this one, hehe. I had an advantage on the MoA review as I have eating many Scotch Bonnets over the years, plus I was able to verify my thoughts from information on the MoA site. It’s been impossible for me to find much info on the Chocolate Scorpion other than marketing blurbs to sell you seed. I am taking some notes and when I have better information I will try one but it won’t be as detailed as the other. BTW if you have any links on lineage that could help me please pm me. BTW I’d love to get you some MoA seeds, do you have anyone in the USA I could send some for you or do you have a forwarding PO service? Have a great week brethren!

Here’s two pics of the Chocolate Scorpion just for you ^_^
25u5s8i.jpg

2hhj2j4.jpg

Jalapeño salt
24odm3n.jpg

Close up, although it looks a little clumpy to me it’s not really and comes out of a salt shaker very fine.
sl4ayr.jpg

Small harvest this weekend of Jamaican Habanero, Chocolate Scorpion and some Cayenne peppers
343q5c5.jpg

I finally figured out why I’m getting hit with so many hornworms. I found out this weekend that 5 or more neighbors are growing tomatoes (next door, across the canal, across the street and on and on) and they have all been getting hit. Years back I never had more than one of two worms hit my plants at most if any at all. Plus I’m growing more plants now so that could have something to do with attracting so many sphinx moths :(

Well some pages back Rick (stickman) said that he believed that Bacillus Thuringiensis (BT) would kill hornworms. I had a bag full of this stuff in the garage that I had purchased a few years back to kill bad nematodes that did not work for them so I had not used it in ages. I decided to mix & spray some on Saturday Night and to my surprise late Sunday I found a dead baby hornworm \o/ I doubt it works on eggs or the moths as I found 6+ more eggs today :/ Also I don't know how long it will stay effective on the plants with some rain we started getting this morning. If anyone knows please chime in, thanks!

Well I have to give Rick a big thanks and hat’s off \o_ because it works great, thanks mon! This is what this site is all about \o/

j6jxg7.jpg

Hope everyone has a great week and thanks all for looking, reading, commenting and providing the best advice East Tejas ;)

Glad the suggestion worked for you Ramon... and quick too! S'right... we don't allow no Hornworms here, no sir! :snooty:  The rain will wash it off the leaves, and it'll have to be periodically re-applied, but it's 100% organic and reasonably priced. The other good thing about it is that any farm runoff into the canals will just contribute to killing off the Mosquito larvae there. Win-win!

romy6 said:
DOA just the way wee likem :party:

That choco T scorp pod shot is supendous Ray Ray :fireball: .

If you need me I will be at the mailbox waiting for my MoA seeds ;)
Thank you kind Sir and someday I hope to have a pull half your size, simply amazing my friend ^_^

FreeportBum said:
Man I really like the look of that Chocolate Scorpion pod! on my list for next year
Devan thank you for stopping in mon, if you remember to pm me in say 2 months I should have a good seed inventory for them and I’ll be happy to send you some.

This specific plant came from a seed from PIC 1’s (Greg) private stash and it’s the most prolific plant I’ve seen, thick, busy, lush and full of green pods. I’ve only been able to pull two off it so far but I have a feeling if the hornworms ;) don’t get it, it’ll produce an incredible amount of pods.

stickman said:
Glad the suggestion worked for you Ramon... and quick too! S'right... we don't allow no Hornworms here, no sir! :snooty:
Thank you again \o_ Funny I had that bag that cost me like $10.00 sitting there for ever, finally a good use for it.

stickman said:
The rain will wash it off the leaves, and it'll have to be periodically re-applied, but it's 100% organic and reasonably priced.
Yes I recall I read loads about it back when I bought it but no one ever mentioned spraying it for hornworms in the reading I did, fail :/

stickman said:
The other good thing about it is that any farm runoff into the canals will just contribute to killing off the Mosquito larvae there. Win-win!
Well our canal is saltwater so no mosquito’s in it, I’d hate to live here if they were reproducing there, we’d be in da swamp, lolz.

It’s a shame it won’t get the eggs, I’ve now pulled over a dozen today and I’m sure many get past my eyes … I should order some of those supermon eyes that Shane has, lolz.

Thanks again Rick!

Thank you sir! Appreciate the seed offer, I will send you some of my homemade chili salt if you'd like. I make my own sea salt using the water from the cove I live on. Going to make some great chili salts again this year once I have a bunch of ripe pods.   I will PM you in the fall all the best

Okies, yet another catalog ready photograph of the Chocolate Scorpion...

Walkgood's pepper inventory...www.amazon.com/walkgood :dance:

Most beautiful pods award Mon!

Yeah the BT is a re-application after every 3 or 4 days. cool thing is one bite..they're done!

Have a great week!

Dead hormworms and live Scorpions!!! :dance:

Know what works on the moths...Knocking the shiz outa them! I was out last night with the black light searching when I got dive bombed by mama moth...she did three fly by's and on number for she got swatted mid air...I knocked her so hard into my Yellow Brain I had to check for plant damage....

That choco scorp just looks mean...

Back