• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

So I took Chriss advice and did a late night recon mission with black light last night. But unbeknownst to me everything on my plants light up, the stalk, leaf defects, whiteflys, etc Oh and my pods, hahaha. They glow so bright that I cant see any worms :/

These 3 shots are timed exposures seconds long only using black light and the sky is very dark with overcast blocking stars, etc.

White Bhut Jolokia (4 second exp)
qqqq83.jpg

Jamaican Habanero (6 seconds)
33vf8l0.jpg

Jamaican Habanero (5 second exp)
173b0l.jpg

So I didnt catch anything, maybe I have bad eyes or too much stuff glows for me, so early in da morning I did another recon and bagged 6 worms while looking thru my 3 MoAs

6i5rib.jpg

Yes I know theres only 5 in da ashtray so what happened to the sixth one you ask?
i38dvq.jpg

otjgpw.jpg

qsm5j6.jpg

abjb6.jpg

vwvk94.jpg

30cyw5e.jpg

MMMMM tasty, lolz ... now this lizard hangs around the MoAs all the time ... hopefully he won't need me to catch the dreaded hornworms for him and his buds any more. I did another recon mission tonight as well and nada was found.

Thanks for checking, hope ya have a great day tomorrow!

stickman said:
There ya go Ramon, press those lizards into your defensive perimeter! :dance:
Believe it or not, this is the way I’ve trained other lizards at my other grow areas to eat the bugs on da plants. They have set up camps at all my other plants, so it’s a good way to establish a treaty with them to guard the MoAs. I only wish they could get all the bad guys but as you know some get through our strategic lizard defense system :D

PaulG said:
Haha "everything glows!"
That should be your epitaph, bro :lol:

That is one of the coolest photo series I have seen on the forum, Ramon!
:dance: Lizards 1, Hornworms 0
Thanks for da complement Paul, I had a few others but with timed exposures and the wind blowing you get blur, lol. The moon shots look awesome too but last one’s I took the wind was blowing thru here like a squall so I deleted them. You should try some ^_^

JJJessee said:
Great team work, guys!
You're gonna be that lizard's best friend before summer is over :D.
I wonder how large he'll get with the bonus chow.
Carl, lizards here only get a little larger but not too much. I have them reproducing under the seaweed on other plants, I’ve seen the eggs. They seem to patrol both day and night but do sleep at night. During the last full moon I was surprised to see how many were working all the plants and eating the bugs. I thought I needed that type of reconnaissance on the MoAs too … see dem hornworms do come in handy for other things, lolz

Amazing pod shots and lizard feast Ramon! I'm taking my daughter Glow Bowling for her 13th this weekend. She hates the tomato hornworms, crushes them with rocks. I will show her these lizard pics though!

Ramon,

Really great night shots! You have some really good photography skills there!

Dang hormworms! Are you cultivating them this year or what?

Glad you're being vigilant and finding them before they do much damage!

Great pod shots Ramon, I am totally stealing that idea...:lol:

But loving the salt recipe, I'm gonna have o give that a try, along with some other concoctions. Could probably do something similar with dry herbs. Cilantro, bonnets or habaneros, coriander, a bit of cumin and we are in business!

romy6 said:
That is the coolest shots Ray. Every gardener should have a army of lizards. I for one do. :dance:
Thanks Jamie, glad to hear you have an army too, IIRC I saw you post a pic some time back featuring one of your Rambo’s :D Have a great weekend brethren!

capsidadburn said:
Amazing pod shots and lizard feast Ramon! I'm taking my daughter Glow Bowling for her 13th this weekend. She hates the tomato hornworms, crushes them with rocks. I will show her these lizard pics though!
Mike that’s so cool to have her involved at 13, our 13 year old boy use to grow stuff with me in the garden all the time, I started him with pineapples … a no fail plant in the tropics, hehehe. Now when I ask him to help in the garden he says how much can I earn, he’s trying to save up for a new ipod -_- Well he’ll come around eventually as he does help at times but I like to tease him about the money ting. Thanks for stopping in and commenting … hope you have a great weekend mon!

Devv said:
Ramon,

Really great night shots! You have some really good photography skills there!

Dang hormworms! Are you cultivating them this year or what?

Glad you're being vigilant and finding them before they do much damage!
Scott you are always full of complements and I appreciate them, don’t think this place would be the same without you brethren ^_^
Not sure what gives with the hornworms, I’ve never seen this many in all the years I’ve been growing peppers, heck they’re not even messing with my maters … To my luck they really have not done any noticeable damage but give them suckers an inch and they’ll take the whole plant down. Well the hunt goes on, I’ll be out again tonight but I just don’t see them, not even with black light, must be night blindness or old age, hahaha. Hope you have an awesome weekend brethren!

MGOLD86 said:
Great pod shots Ramon, I am totally stealing that idea... :lol:

But loving the salt recipe, I'm gonna have o give that a try, along with some other concoctions. Could probably do something similar with dry herbs. Cilantro, bonnets or habaneros, coriander, a bit of cumin and we are in business!
Hola Matt, thanks for the kudos on the plant/pod shots feel free to use it. Not good when the wind is blowing too strong that’s how I lost my solace moon shots :( I also shoot other stuff by candle light and do some double exposures, fun stuff. Post up your pics once you do so I can ooh and ahh at dem too ^_^

Don’t just try mango, there’s a hole bunch of stuff you can use and it’s all good. I always make my powders straight but when I make salts, the sky’s the limit. Don’t forget to try garlic, sweet pepper and all kinds of stuff … have fun with it, super tasty mon ^_^

Hope you have a great weekend!

As always, thanks everyone for looking, reading and comments … I certainly appreciate your tips, tricks and stories. Annie I’m about do for another one of your awesome muchacha stories … hope everyone has a great weekend \o/

"The moon shots look awesome too but last one’s I took the wind was blowing thru here like a squall so I deleted them. You should try some ^_^"

Try some?  Lizards?  Hornworms?  Moon shots?

:rofl: 

PaulG said:
"The moon shots look awesome too but last one’s I took the wind was blowing thru here like a squall so I deleted them. You should try some ^_^"

Try some?  Lizards?  Hornworms?  Moon shots?

:rofl:
Well with moon shots like black light you need to do timed exposures so if the wind blows the leaves, pods, branches you get trails and that's without the mushrooms :D

Great stuff man! The shot of the aphids hatching was a great catch! Those white Bhuts are looking quite ghostly haha. And awesome with the lizard eating the green menace. I wonder if the skinks that took up residents in my patch would eat em. I guess they don't do much climbing though. Still seen none of them hornworms, i hope it stays that way. Knock on wood!

Back