• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

I wish it was as easy as a carwash, lol. Sometimes I even reject shooting the scarred up street girls unless they show their hidden inner beauty ;) Ok guess I must divulge my OCD behavior, lol.
  • First I try not to pick more than a pound at one time or my cleaning method become too much work … keep it fun
  • I use a very clean small pail to collect pods
  • Inspect each one before removing, yea I know PITA, numerous times I have found ladybug eggs on them and I’ll allow a pod to rot if need be so I don’t kill the eggs. Ladybug larva are awesome and have saved me from spraying neem or "death by rosemary" for a very long time now
  • After picking each, I quickly blow and dust them off with a small rag if needed
  • Once the pail is full I dunk it in the pool 3 times, taking advantage of the chlorinated water to kill any mites, aphids or small bugs
  • Once inside I run fresh water over them and leave them in water in the sink
  • I pick out the most photogentic, take an old soft tooth brush and polish dem
  • Quick hand dry or leave dem wet, I like the effect that water droplets on the pods produce
  • Now you can call me crazy, hahahahaha
Haha! I've been wondering all season how they always looked so good!

Can't wait to see more on the sauce!

I wonder if your smooth skinned, deeply wrinkled greenish fruit has another name... ;)  I've seen then in one of the markets here but they're never labeled. I did a double-take when I googled your name for it...

WalkGood Tres Alarmas Caribbean MoA Sauce
(Salsa Picante)

I edited my original formula to what follows below, my wife was so kind to take the pictures below even though she’s still in pain, hats off honey \o_ Anyone with questions feel free to ask. I have been asked how Chocho tastes and the best I can describe it is like a green apple without any tartness, very neutral and very good on it’s own IMHO.

The MoA sauce came out delicious \o/ our son could not stop eating it and I’m very happy with the result. If you try it, hope you enjoy as much as we do ^_^

31 scotch bonnet peppers (peppers this time of year are small here, with larger pods you could go with less)
2 carrots
1 chocho
1 medium size mango (not fully ripe but yellow). peeled, pitted, and cut into 1/2-inch strips (about 1 cup)
8 cloves of garlic
1/2 inch of ginger (chopped)
1 to 3 onions (depending on size, I used 2)
1 small red onion (in italics because I left it out this time)
10 allspice berries
3 ounces yellow mustard
 Olive oil for frying
1/2 cup of white vinegar
4 ounces of red wine vinegar
1/8 teaspoon curry powder
1/8 teaspoon ground cumin
1/8 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
2 tablespoons fresh lime juice (from about ½ lime)
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• Chop up everything and keep separate, but don’t chop too small as that will be the work of the blender
  • Start by sautéing onions until translucent, nothing should be browned
  • Add garlic, after 1 to 2 minutes add carrots, chocho, pepper and ginger
  • Keep sautéing till the carrots soften some (approximately 5 to 10 minutes)
  • Add vinegar, lower heat and simmer 10 minutes
  • Move all the ingredients to blender and puree
  • Add all the powdered seasonings and continue blending till smooth paste
  • Add water if needed, I didn’t have to but sometimes it might be needed
  • Move everything back to the blender and re-blend till paste is creamy smooth
  • Allow to cool some and bottle, store in a bottle that seals tight (keep refrigerated)
  • Enjoy ^_^

Mango & Chocho
2pruv42.jpg

202pht.jpg

1zw2sjk.jpg

2j4vsi8.jpg

14j6p1k.jpg

34ytnyo.jpg

29aruch.jpg

a2rdyd.jpg

2z3tp9t.jpg

2pybaxc.jpg

Bump please and sauce pics will follow ... thank you :)

Edit: Scott, Rick I'll reply to your posts soon ...

WalkGood Tres Alarmas Caribbean MoA Sauce (Salsa Picante) Continued:

Scott thanks for the bump brethren :)

ampfmv.jpg

28jw8j9.jpg

2hyi5q0.jpg

2dihj6a.jpg

257nbec.jpg

2hwo1s9.jpg

Devv said:
Haha! I've been wondering all season how they always looked so good!

Can't wait to see more on the sauce!

Chocho taste great too :D

stickman said:
I wonder if your smooth skinned, deeply wrinkled greenish fruit has another name... ;)  I've seen then in one of the markets here but they're never labeled. I did a double-take when I googled your name for it...

Rick yes it’s known by many names so I had provided a Wiki hot link for Chocho in the first post that I showed her picture. There are many names in Wiki link including Chocho, it’s http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chayote if that helps.

stickman said:

Thanks Ramon, I appreciate the explanation!

Great looking sauce... what does the combination of Chayote and Mango taste like?

Both together I wouldn’t know as I only combine them in sauce and everything in the sauce changes the taste of the mango and chocho. Alone the mango adds the sweetness and no sugar is used in this sauce. If I didn't say anything to someone trying the sauce they might not know either are present. Alone the chocho taste very neutral, similar to a green apple in texture & look but not taste. One could also say it’s similar to a pear but it doesn’t taste like one either, still neutral IMHO but combined in this sauce they are awesome, hard to describe but a must try. BTW I hate to give that Wiki link because they say “The flesh has a fairly bland taste, and a texture is described as a cross between a potato and a cucumber.” And in all honesty they are wrong or ate one that wasn’t ripe, lol.

BTW I’ve seen them all over the Caribbean, Central America and South America and they’re fine to eat on their own
… oh and the fruit too ;) :D

Edit: Well if they used neutral instead of "bland" then they're closer.

Devv said:

If I could fly down there right now I'd be knockin' on your door!

Of course I would have a nicely aged bottle of dark rum with me :party:

You are always welcome :)

Stefan_W said:
Great foodie pics and explanations!

How are the fumes when it is cooking? I would like to give this a try, but I have to watch stuff like fumes with Sofia's conditions.
Fumes are always a concern anytime you cook with peppers so I would recommend making while Sofia is not home or use a friend’s kitchen. Fumes don’t bother me much but they do bother my wife when I sauté peppers. During that part she tries to stay out of the kitchen. Although with so many ingredients in the pan the fumes are greatly diminished and once you are at the liquefying step, there are no fumes to speak of.

Thanks for stopping in Stefan :)

Cartz said:
Oh lawwwdy Ramon...that sauce looks divine!! Consider your recipe "borrowed" :P
Thanks for stopping in Cartz, I have other recipes if you check the bottom of the first post in my glog I hot linked some that I don't mind sharing. I decided to share this MoA one so everyone who will now be growing JA MoA Scotch Bonnets could enjoy, so feel free to borrow it and I hope you love it as much as we do ^_^

stickman said:
That recipe sure looks good! Thanks for the info Ramon.
Thanks Rick, you have to get your MoA seeds going now so you can make some, have you sourced Chocho up in your area? If you have any Jamaican or Caribbean shops they might be able to point you to some hot Chocho, hehehe ;)

Jamison said:
Frickin awesome Ramon! The ingredients really remind me of a jerk recipe (almost). That sauce looks amazing brotha!
Thanks for da comments Jamison, how are your MoAs doing brethren? You should be able to make some WalkGood Tres Alarmas Caribbean MoA Sauce very soon I figure.

I put my sauce together from various dishes and sauces that I’ve tried both in South FL and on various Caribbean Islands over the years but I have never seen Mango or Chocho used in any Jerk Sauce. It might be interesting to test substituting the brown sugar in many Jerk recipes for Mango but it sure would change the taste. Have you seen a recipe that includes either? If so please point me in that direction, tanks mon!

FreeportBum said:
Love the color of that sauce Ramon excellent pics!
Thanks Devan it’s super tasty too and completely different than the other Mango sauces I make.

Looks awesome.  I can not wait until I am growing these next season and can make some of this sauce.  Not sure about finding the Chayote up here, but I haven't hit any specialty shops.

Thanks for sharing.

WalkGood said:
Thanks Rick, you have to get your MoA seeds going now so you can make some, have you sourced Chocho up in your area? If you have any Jamaican or Caribbean shops they might be able to point you to some hot Chocho, hehehe ;)

I'm definitely planning on planting the MoA peppers next year Ramon... and the BOC... and the Naga King Jalokia... and more Yellow 7s... ;)

We have a family-owned market here in town that has a very good selection of Latin American and Asian foods and condiments. It's the only one I know of where you can get dried Bhuts year-'round! Anyway, they carry Chayote in season... in fact they're there now...

Durham Bull said:
WG,
great looking sauce, love the color.

Thanks Sy ^_^ you should definitely try making some, really tasty …

Stefan_W said:
+1 on loving the colour of that sauce. It caught my eye right away.

Thanks Stefan, I love the appearance as well but the taste is what makes this one special, da color is a nice bonus \o/

Bodeen said:
Looks awesome.  I can not wait until I am growing these next season and can make some of this sauce.  Not sure about finding the Chayote up here, but I haven't hit any specialty shops.

Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for da sauce kudos Jeff :) Check Hispanic and Caribbean markets, both Chocho and Mango are a must IMHO. Hope you find some Chocho, hehehe. Worst case senario you could replace with cucumber but trust me it's not the same, been there done dat. Plus cucumber bleeds liquid mas, good luck in Chocho search ...

stickman said:

I'm definitely planning on planting the MoA peppers next year Ramon... and the BOC... and the Naga King Jalokia... and more Yellow 7s... ;)

Great to read you’re growing the MoA among others Rick, Naga is one of the 10 I currently have soaking, from Lourens. I should be planting some eggs tomorrow, also have some other cool stuff starting. One of the Ft. Lauderdale Market Scotch Bonnets from Steve and mas MoAs plus some new whites too.

stickman said:
We have a family-owned market here in town that has a very good selection of Latin American and Asian foods and condiments. It's the only one I know of where you can get dried Bhuts year-'round! Anyway, they carry Chayote in season... in fact they're there now...

Mmmmm Latin American Chocho … sounds tasty :D

Back