• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

WalkGood 2013, 2014 and Beyond

This is my first Glog so excuse what ever mess I may create, lol. Took way to many pictures today (31), so Ill post the first 9 and add more in subsiquent posts but didn't think it a good idea to start out doube or triple posting just for additional pics. I will also be updating the thread over time to show growth, pods and such ... but the first few pics of are of the young ones. While Ive been growing my favorite peppers for around 17 years (guess, lol), I always limited myself to 3 varieties or less. Jamaican peppers/Hab, Jalapeño and Cayenne. When things got too tuff Id milk them till they died off and stop growing for a while and start fresh. Most years I only grew the Jamaicans which are my favorite for cooking, home made sauce and the occasional powder to rub meats with or put into certain recipes.

Current inventory:
  • 5 Jalapeño
  • 1 Cayenne
  • 1 Serrano
  • 7 Datil
  • 15 Jamaican Habs (3 large around 3 years old and 12 less than year old)
  • 12 more to be determined
The young ones below are not that old with the oldest being the JA Habs which are around 3 years old now. I happen to find THP site while looking for advice/knowledge to cure one of my Jalapeños, thanks for all the good info guys/girls! In 2012 I added Datil, Thai hot, Cayenne, Jalapeño and Serrano to the mix, totaling around 41 plants now. Hats off \o_ to those of you who grow many more, dont know how you find the time and patients when things go off. That said, Ive done my fair share of battling aphids, nematodes, snails and white fly to no end over the last 3 years. Fortunately I believe to have things under control for now so Ive decided to add 12 new peppers to the mix from the listed seeds shown below.

Ill select 12 to start near end of December or first week in January from the seeds below and give credit once I get some new ones going :)

av1pxs.jpg

Need to start clearing our yard to grow more & more & more peppers ;) (*WG rollseyes*)
2ypb3mx.jpg

Top left to right: two Thai Hot and one Cayenne. Bottom row all Datil. BTW I don't grow everything in clay pots, just happen to get a good deal on a bunch in yard sale for a few bucks.
23i8d1v.jpg

Huge live Oak in background, there's 5 of them in front yard so the shades hard to avoid in first few hours of sun rise.
25fst9v.jpg

8 Jamaican Habs in ground and cherry tomatoe in the pot, I need to find a good place to plant the tomatoe soon.
2aikob7.jpg

Top left Serrano and more Datil, I'm probably going to gift a few Datils for xmass and some of the other peppers
2ci77yf.jpg

Serrano's first fower
ogc60z.jpg

Serrano's different angle
24ln0yc.jpg

Edit: final list copied to first post from post #40. These seeds were soaked in water on 12/31/12 and planted 1/1/13 \o/

Edit: This list is constantly being updated as new hooks pop. Even though I lost #5 :/ I will not give up as there are 2 other seeds in dat egg mon ....

28i2h78.jpg

A few links to some of my better posts ;)Did you say powder?Did you say MoA?Black light night shots & horn wormsReviews and taste impressions in no order

Hi Ramon,
   Heck yeah... I'll eat an omelet for lunch... however you spell it, I pronounce it Good!

.Nice review of the Peach Bhuts... I wonder if we're all getting a little jaded when it comes to tasting hot peppers when there are so many around ATM. Mold happens, but I just cut off the affected parts and use the rest. Cheers!

stickman said:

Hi Ramon,
   Heck yeah... I'll eat an omelet for lunch... however you spell it, I pronounce it Good!

I spell it both ways “omelette or omelet” but prefer it spelt as "omelette." I must have got lazy as I later went for the shorter spelling or did I do another typo that I missed, hehe. And yes the credit to take it from normal Gallo Pinto to an omelette goes to you for giving me the idea via a post you made sometime ago in response to my original Gallo Pinto post. I thought then wow I have to try that one day and it works great \o_

BTW thanks again for your wonderful Hungarian sweet paprika, it was the bomb on the Gallo Pinto, great job on it, simply awesome finishing touch. It’s perfectly dried and grounded nicely again \o_

stickman said:
Nice review of the Peach Bhuts... I wonder if we're all getting a little jaded when it comes to tasting hot peppers when there are so many around ATM. Mold happens, but I just cut off the affected parts and use the rest. Cheers!

Not sure if I understand the jaded, I just love peppers and try to relay my thoughts or interpretations. I only add in the girls theme to make it fun, heck if I was one of the wonderful ladies of THP I’d probably be calling them boys or men, lol.

Thanks for the review kudos mon and I agree with you on mold, no little mold is going to be keeping me away from dem beautiful girls ^_^

Have a great week brethren!

WalkGood said:
Thanks for commenting Chris and I agree with you the White Bhut is awesome too! I would have thought you've run across Gallo Pinto before possibly on a surf trip to Costa Rica or Nicaragua, I spent mucho awesome time traveling and surfing their coastline, awesome waves and tasty foods ^_^
Not only have I run across it but I make it often. I think between Panama and Costa Rica I spent right around 5 months total over the years. Such awesome places and cultures!

WalkGood said:

I spell it both ways “omelette or omelet” but prefer it spelt as "omelette." I must have got lazy as I later went for the shorter spelling or did I do another typo that I missed, hehe. And yes the credit to take it from normal Gallo Pinto to an omelette goes to you for giving me the idea via a post you made sometime ago in response to my original Gallo Pinto post. I thought then wow I have to try that one day and it works great \o_

BTW thanks again for your wonderful Hungarian sweet paprika, it was the bomb on the Gallo Pinto, great job on it, simply awesome finishing touch. It’s perfectly dried and grounded nicely again \o_

Not sure if I understand the jaded, I just love peppers and try to relay my thoughts or interpretations. I only add in the girls theme to make it fun, heck if I was one of the wonderful ladies of THP I’d probably be calling them boys or men, lol.

Thanks for the review kudos mon and I agree with you on mold, no little mold is going to be keeping me away from dem beautiful girls ^_^

Have a great week brethren!
Hi Ramon,
   Glad you like the Paprika. Seeds will be on their way to you tomorrow.

No offense meant with my comment about getting jaded... just that as many hot peppers as we've all been sampling lately, it's sometimes hard not to be a little blase' about it. (Tastebud burnout?) If you get excited about it every time, then you've got my vote for THP Reviewing Pro! :)
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

JoynersHotPeppers said:
Not only have I run across it but I make it often. I think between Panama and Costa Rica I spent right around 5 months total over the years. Such awesome places and cultures!

Nice ... so you know how great the foods are there! I spent a lot of time there myself prior to the big build up of many of their hot spots, back when you had to ruff it camping at the best spots and catch most of your food. The longest period I spent over there at one shot was 4 weeks living with locals in a production fish camp near Playa Negra y Langosta … up to Witches Rock and as far south as Pavones but not all during the same trip. Since Spanish was my first language I got along with the locals great and traveled there for years and I totally agree with all your points ^_^

meatfreak said:
Great harvest, Ramon. Awesome review, always a pleasure to read them and thanks for making me hungry again with that omelette :lol:

Thanks for review kudos Stefan … wow you had an awesome tomato harvest, real beauties!

stickman said:
Hi Ramon,
   Glad you like the Paprika. Seeds will be on their way to you tomorrow.

Thanks Rick, hope I can do paprika as great as yours ^_^

stickman said:
No offense meant with my comment about getting jaded... just that as many hot peppers as we've all been sampling lately, it's sometimes hard not to be a little blase' about it. (Tastebud burnout?) If you get excited about it every time, then you've got my vote for THP Reviewing Pro! :)
Enjoy the rest of your weekend!

No worries mon, I didn’t take any offense I just did not understand the context. I do get excited about tasting them; I just don’t like to write reviews for all of them. For example I tried Annie’s fatalii this afternoon and ended up eating a whole pepper between my son and I. But I didn’t take any pictures, notes or write about her ... that is the burn out that hits me. I get tired of analyzing them and sometimes just prefer to taste them and have a cold beer for my own personal experience.

Have a great week mon!

Nice update and review!

I found the peach bhut taste to be reminiscent of a papaya.  I also found the peach to be hotter than the yellow and chocolate, but to be fair the chocolate was the first one off the plant so that might change.

poypoyking said:
Nice update and review!

I found the peach bhut taste to be reminiscent of a papaya.  I also found the peach to be hotter than the yellow and chocolate, but to be fair the chocolate was the first one off the plant so that might change.
Ben thank you for da review kudos ^_^

I’ve not tried a yellow or chocolate Bhut only the Red, White and Peach Bhuts so far. Annie told me she found the yellow hotter than the Peach but not sure what she thinks of the Red or White yet.  IMHO heat or picante as I call it can vary depending on a lot of things so in you case you must be correct. My first White Bhut pulled pods were definitely not as hot as the second pull. Stress, watering, lineage, etc. can make a big difference. With my White Bhut case they were getting too much rain before the 1st pull and they had no stress, so it being less picante than the second pull which had more stress and less water made sense to me. Hope you have a great week and thanks for reading plus your comments :)

romy6 said:
Nice score from lil orphan Annie Ray ray. :party:

I agree peach bhut is very mild. But great tasting.  :fireball:

That omlette was off the chain insane :dance:

Yea, Annie went all out … she takes after your generosity my friend :) Are you growing the Peach? I have plenty of seed from these pods if you want some let me know. Tanks for the omelette kudos :)

WalkGood said:

Nice ... so you know how great the foods are there! I spent a lot of time there myself prior to the big build up of many of their hot spots, back when you had to ruff it camping at the best spots and catch most of your food. The longest period I spent over there at one shot was 4 weeks living with locals in a production fish camp near Playa Negra y Langosta … up to Witches Rock and as far south as Pavones but not all during the same trip. Since Spanish was my first language I got along with the locals great and traveled there for years and I totally agree with all your points ^_^

yep, I distinctively remember having spent a day of my live "sin ropa" on a lonely beach somewhere around jaco... no person to be seen all day, just me, GF some monkeys - doing our things and living the day off coconuts - must have been in 99 or so :D

Thanks for the offer but I have seeds just never got around to growing any. Or failed miserably trying  ;)

But I did get around to eating the infamous white bhut. It was a tasty little treat. Thank you for allowing me to sample it. 

IMG_4903_zps4cbb093e.jpg

Upon slicing open I detected a slight floral bhut smell but nothing over the top. 

IMG_4906_zpsb3f0ba4f.jpg

Sampled a nice size sliver from the heart of the pepper. This pepper was like no other I have had before. So it was difficult for me to compare it or describe it.  There is a very floral flavor from the bhut at first. Followed by an almost cucumber like  flavor. Very thin walled and easy to chew.  Heat was on the lower hab level. Made a great topping for my meal . Wife ate the other pod and really liked it as well.   Thank you again.  

STA_4912_zps02d4ea05.jpg

Al-from-Chile said:
yep, I distinctively remember having spent a day of my live "sin ropa" on a lonely beach somewhere around jaco... no person to be seen all day, just me, GF some monkeys - doing our things and living the day off coconuts - must have been in 99 or so :D
Al sounds like you had a great time, no can do that these days around Jaco, lol. Use to be super nice around there for sure before all the massive build up one sees today :/ I spent some quality tube time around there myself at Roca Loca, Playa Hermosa, Playa Herradura y Escondido with base camp at Jaco but I was wearing baggies :D One of my early trips a friend and I lived off fishing, lobsters and trading with locals but no coconuts for over a month ...

romy6 said:
Thanks for the offer but I have seeds just never got around to growing any. Or failed miserably trying  ;)

But I did get around to eating the infamous white bhut. It was a tasty little treat. Thank you for allowing me to sample it.

Upon slicing open I detected a slight floral bhut smell but nothing over the top.

Sampled a nice size sliver from the heart of the pepper. This pepper was like no other I have had before. So it was difficult for me to compare it or describe it.  There is a very floral flavor from the bhut at first. Followed by an almost cucumber like flavor. Very thin walled and easy to chewHeat was on the lower hab level. Made a great topping for my meal . Wife ate the other pod and really liked it as well.   Thank you again.
I’m happy to read you like her, it’s truly a unique pepper IMHO. I didn’t get the almost cucumber taste but did note a hint of Anise flavor and some similarity to kumquat rind, I love their taste. I tried to somewhat describe her flavor back on post #1541 but have not done a formal review. You are spot on with your assessment and I’ll try to compare her to cucumber the next time I eat her. Your meal looks fantastic and funny enough I’ve tried her on pasta as well. She’s killer in a white onion sofrito on just about anything. I plan to start a few more plants ^_^

PeriPeri said:
ooooh Nice!
Lourens I agree, Mr. Jamie certainly knows how to eat well and that meal just makes me hungry :)

I did a little test and found out that this pepper looses a lot of color if you freeze her and then dehydrate so best to do fresh. The powder below was made from half frozen White Bhuts which turn yellowish as they dry out in the dehydrator even at very low heat (115) over a 4 day drying cycle. The fresh ones I dehydrated over the same period turned out a lot whiter but the powder below is a mix of both, thus the yellowishness in it. Lesson learned; grow more White Bhuts and dry them fresh VS frozen if you are a stickler on color like me, hehehe.

qnts2p.jpg

Thank you, Ramon! I reviewed the White Bhut you sent here. 952 I didn't get the cucumber feel that Jamie did, but since I mentioned bread'n butter pickles in review. . . ?? And yours were, I thought, thick'n meaty :dance: ;) . Have a good one, mi hermano!!

WalkGood said:
Al sounds like you had a great time, no can do that these days around Jaco, lol. Use to be super nice around there for sure before all the massive build up one sees today :/ I spent some quality tube time around there myself at Roca Loca, Playa Hermosa, Playa Herradura y Escondido with base camp at Jaco but I was wearing baggies :D One of my early trips a friend and I lived off fishing, lobsters and trading with locals but no coconuts for over a month ...

I’m happy to read you like her, it’s truly a unique pepper IMHO. I didn’t get the almost cucumber taste but did note a hint of Anise flavor and some similarity to kumquat rind, I love their taste. I tried to somewhat describe her flavor back on post #1541 but have not done a formal review. You are spot on with your assessment and I’ll try to compare her to cucumber the next time I eat her. Your meal looks fantastic and funny enough I’ve tried her on pasta as well. She’s killer in a white onion sofrito on just about anything. I plan to start a few more plants ^_^

Lourens I agree, Mr. Jamie certainly knows how to eat well and that meal just makes me hungry :)

I did a little test and found out that this pepper looses a lot of color if you freeze her and then dehydrate so best to do fresh. The powder below was made from half frozen White Bhuts which turn yellowish as they dry out in the dehydrator even at very low heat (115) over a 4 day drying cycle. The fresh ones I dehydrated over the same period turned out a lot whiter but the powder below is a mix of both, thus the yellowishness in it. Lesson learned; grow more White Bhuts and dry them fresh VS frozen if you are a stickler on color like me, hehehe.

qnts2p.jpg
Wow wow wow, that chilli powder looks amazing! Well done my friend. There is definitely marketability in a white chilli powder... give it a good name, package it nicely and you may have a market! White chilli powder... how awesome is that!!

annie57 said:
Thank you, Ramon! I reviewed the White Bhut you sent here. 952 I didn't get the cucumber feel that Jamie did, but since I mentioned bread'n butter pickles in review. . . ?? And yours were, I thought, thick'n meaty :dance: ;) . Have a good one, mi hermano!!
Thanks for pointing it out Annie as I found it quicker … I was sleeping when you posted it last night 11:08PM hehehe. Great review and thanks for writing about my favorite white girl ^_^

PeriPeri said:
Wow wow wow, that chilli powder looks amazing! Well done my friend. There is definitely marketability in a white chilli powder... give it a good name, package it nicely and you may have a market! White chilli powder... how awesome is that!!
Well she's not really white but I’m working on the powder as it has hues of very subdued yellow that came from the frozen dehydrated pods. I am mad at myself now for mixing the darker ones (frozen) with the whiter ones (fresh), live and learn. This was a very small test batch to see how they taste powdered and wow she's still awesome!!!

Funny you should say business, my wife keeps telling me to quit my job and open up shop, hehe … maybe one day, one never knows. Thanks for stopping in and commenting Lourens ^_^ BTW how is your chili venture going and has the site taken off?

Man, such great reviews I'm reading about the White and Peach Bhuts! I already have a sauce in mind for the White so I may have to take a closer look at the Peach too. That powder looks really good as it is brethren, even with the little bit off because of the yellowing form the frozen pods. I bet they'd be good smoked too. Not a strong smoke maybe like with Alder or other light smoking wood.

How is Lady WalkGood doing?

PeriPeri said:

yeah ... you could name it "Cocain" sell it in 1g flasks - and start things from there :D

hey, if you feel adventurous, you could even try to undercut MARA-18 pricewise in south central ...

... send an update every now and then (once the bleedings stop :D)

cheers, Al

Back