• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Dragon49's 2013 Grow Log

2013 Chile Pepper Grow Log:

My normal season begins in the middle of March, as I sprout 2 months before planting out in the garden. I’m dying to grow a superhot, but I have had 0% success in growing Capsicum chinense outside. A number of other factors prevent me from growing superhots in the garden.

I’ve decided on a small indoor only grow. A co-worker beekeeper jokingly offered to bring some bees into my apartment to pollinate, but I declined. If this works, I’ll have to expand my gardening skill set and figure out how to hand pollinate. I’ll also have to upgrade my lighting, as I’ve been told that my 54 watt T-3 florescent, while good enough to start seedlings, is not strong enough to get the plants to produce fruit.

Here we go. I’ve decided to sprout a Red Moruga Scorpion:

DSCN0752_zpsb22dc54d.jpg

DSCN0750_zps6e72fdf4.jpg

Thanks,

I should sprout some more, as right now, I am relying on a 100% germination rate for this indoor grow. My problem is that I only want to grow one, and if more than 1 sprout, I will feel badly about killing the others. I could give them away :) I'll play it by ear.

Yeah, that's how I ended up with 48 a couple seasons ago.... LOL

Drago, if you didn't know already, capsicums are efficient self-pollinators. If you have an oscillating fan on the plant a bit while they're flowering, or even just bump the pots every day, they'll produce pods as long as other conditions are right. (ie - Temperature, food, light....) Some people use brushes to carefully hand-pollinate, but that's not needed.

Best of luck on your grow Dragon, if you grow more than your able to grow just give away the rest.... Friends who have gardens will take in what you can't handle

Thanks for all of the encouragement!

One more thing:

I am officially committed to making YouTube reviews for every type of pepper that I grow this season. Now, I'm sure that there will be more rooting for me to grow this one as you will be able to watch me suffer :) :)

Good luck on your grow, Dragon49. Geeme is right. The plants are great self-pollenators. I have my 2013 grow starting in a little 6 x 8 greenhouse, seeds sown 10/14. The annuums have already flowered. I tap on the flowers whenever I make my way out to the greenhouse. Sometimes pollen will just shower off the flower when tapped. Seems to be working, as I currently have three small pods.

OK - I've got the fever and am trying to sprout another Red Moruga Scorpion:

I didn't expect a sprout from the 1st seed after only 4 days, but I'm worried that I may have packed the soil too tightly and may also have buried the seed too deep. I put less soil in another pot, packed it lighter and put the seed in a little shallower:

mor2_zps42503f3b.jpg

One more:

This morning as I left for work, I imagined a sad future where neither of the Morugas had sprouted. The Pics of the pods on my 7 Pod Bubble Gum seed pack look so cool that I decided to try and sprout one:

bubble_zpse07762e2.jpg

No heat source:

The are sitting on the same wood floor that you see in the last 2 pictures. I started my T-3 Grow light with the normal (on for 17 hours - off for 7 hours) light cycle and they are under the light. That should provide a little warmth, but it is far from a "heat source." My apartment is well heated, so it is not cold inside.

I'm waiting.

My non-superhots usually take between 7 and 10 days to sprout. So far with these, it has been 7 days, 3 days and 1 day since I put the seeds in soil. Nothing yet.

I'm getting impatient with the lack of sprouts so far. I know it is early, but I can't help myself. I decided to try and sprout one more. Here is a Chocolate Bhut:

cbhut_zps377a1f71.jpg

There's always room for one more!

Back