• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

⌘ Spicegeist 2013 ⌘

Today we were walloped with a snowstorm in Southwest Virginia and since I was taking some pics of the snow I thought I'd also get started with sharing my pepper progress.

My 2013 selection:

C. chinense
Red Bhuts
Yellow Bhuts
Choco Bhuts
TS Morouga Blend
TS Butch T
7 Pot Barrackpore
7 Pot Brain Strain
7 Pot Yellow
Choco Hab
Morado
Pimenta Morango
Yellow Congo
Pimenta da Neyde
Cumari do Para

C. annuum
Sonoran Chiltepin
Vietnamese Tear Jerker
Peruvian Wild
Armac Chiltepin

C. galapagoense
sp.

C. chacoense
CAP 501

C. praetermissum
Cumari Pollux

C. baccatum
Uba Tuba

C. frutescens
Indiana Pequin
Duke Pequin
Donne Sali
Ekirike
Guam Boonie
Aji Chuncho
Piri Piri
Lotabih
Tabasco

C. parvifolium
sp.

C. pubescens
Rocoto Inca
Dino Pod

Crosses
Choco Bhut x Douglah F1
Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut F1
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1
Sonoran Chiltepin x 7 Pot Barrackpore F1
CAP 501 (C. chacoense) x C. chinense F1
Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F1 and F2
Douglah x Butch T
Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Cumari Pollux (C. praetermissum) F1
Locato x CGN19198
Florida Wild x C. chinense F1
Duke Pequin x Pimenta da Neyde
Duke Pequin x Bhut
Wiri Wiri x Bhut

Outside today:
IMG_20130117_165927.jpg

Pots for later on:
IMG_20130117_170321.jpg

Pimenta da Neyde x Bhut F2... I wasn't counting on purple being so dominant here, will have to pick a few from these to grow out:
IMG_20130117_172447.jpg

Here are some of my 2013 treasures.

I was able to start four C. galapagoenses (they didn't all come up on the same date):
IMG_20130117_172339.jpg

IMG_20130117_173029.jpg

IMG_20130117_172955.jpg

IMG_20130117_172903.jpg

Some special crosses I made in 2011:

Aji Cristal (C. baccatum) x Brain Strain (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173255.jpg

Queen Laurie (C. baccatum) x Yellow Bhut Jolokia (C. chinense) F1:
IMG_20130117_173357.jpg

I grew the Tarahumara from CCN last year.  This year I purchased the Chintexle from CNN.  They are all turning soft immediately upon ripening, are yours.

This is Charles' answer to my request for a few seeds of Sonoran Chiltepin x Barrackpore 7 Pot (Just so you know, the small envelopes are filled with fresh pods of bird type chiles):

CharlesSFRB1.jpg

I tried some of the CAP 501 x Bhut (the Tabasco-looking pods in the lower right of the pik) right away...WOW! A botanical masterpiece! You are doing amazing things Charles! Keep up the good work, and thanks so much...I'm excitedly anticipating my bird pepper project of 2014, and you can be sure several of these varieties will figure prominently...

Thanks so much! 

windchicken said:
This is Charles' answer to my request for a few seeds of Sonoran Chiltepin x Barrackpore 7 Pot (Just so you know, the small envelopes are filled with fresh pods of bird type chiles):

CharlesSFRB1.jpg

I tried some of the CAP 501 x Bhut (the Tabasco-looking pods in the lower right of the pik) right away...WOW! A botanical masterpiece! You are doing amazing things Charles! Keep up the good work, and thanks so much...I'm excitedly anticipating my bird pepper project of 2014, and you can be sure several of these varieties will figure prominently...

Thanks so much! 
Nice goodies! I can't wait to start the tepin x barrackpore cross. I'm starting them in about 2 weeks when the electricity costs go down and I stop using the A/C.

I tasted Mike's cross (tepin x lemon drop) and I loved it and now I want to try these out. I have a tepin flowering right now and a peach bhut, and a choco bhut. So I'm gonna attempt to cross these out to see what will come out. Any findings I'll let you know and hopefully I have succes and share seed. Well see what happens :D.

, Walter

roper2008 said:
I grew the Tarahumara from CCN last year.  This year I purchased the Chintexle from CNN.  They are all turning soft immediately upon ripening, are yours.

I got my Tarahumara from Native Seeds/SEARCH and they've been really great, probably my favorite chiltepin at the moment.  The chintexle I'm growing were from Pepperproblem and they do seem to want to dry out, when off the plant they dry out pretty fast.
I should also mention I got some great stuff from standbyandfire and RedtailForester, just didn't snap the pics in time.

Hey Charles, Just wanted to say I got the chance to taste fresh pods from your Bonda Ma Jacques x Yellow 7 cross.  Gary sent me a few pods from one of his better plants.  It was really nice!  I deseeded in a hurry and did not glove which I usually don't.  Paying for it too. I love how thick the flesh is with great heat.   I'm looking forward to growing it with all the other crosses.

I'm a little bummed at the moment, I was supposed to be seeing Blondie and X tonight, but I hurt my back at work helping someone lift something.  My wife went with a friend though.

Have a good weekend!
Mike

Portuge said:
Hey Charles, do you still need some growers to grow out your crosses? Im still interested...

Of course, let's talk.

Here's something I've been wondering about, the Leaf Curling Spider.  I've been seeing quite a few of these, does anyone know the story of how they got from Australia to the US or do we also have a native species?  Kind of interesting they survive here too if they aren't native.

Cool ripe looking spider Charles!  Surely there is a native variety or two, I see a lot of them here too.  I don't think the one's I've seen look like that.

capsidadburn said:
Hey Charles, Just wanted to say I got the chance to taste fresh pods from your Bonda Ma Jacques x Yellow 7 cross.  Gary sent me a few pods from one of his better plants.  It was really nice!  I deseeded in a hurry and did not glove which I usually don't.  Paying for it too. I love how thick the flesh is with great heat.   I'm looking forward to growing it with all the other crosses.

I'm a little bummed at the moment, I was supposed to be seeing Blondie and X tonight, but I hurt my back at work helping someone lift something.  My wife went with a friend though.

Have a good weekend!
Mike

Mike and Charles,

I'm eating one of the fresh BMJxY7 pods with some tortilla chips as I type this, and I must say it's spanking me far worse than either of the parents could....Once again, Charles, you are a master of chile breeding! Thanks

Mike, I'm bummed that you hurt your back and missed the show...Back in the day we would have partied thru the pain, right? Wiser now....

I grew some Chiltepin Amarillo from JoynernsHotPeppers, one plant produced pods like his and another plant must have mutated, it seems too similar to be a cross:

I thought the Indiana Pequin and the Duke Pequin were the same, but the Duke seems to have more elongated pods (bottom pic):

One Chiltepin Armac looks like it crossed with a serrano and the other looks more like a chiltepin, but not exactly round like the parent pods:

The two red pods in the middle are Chiltepin Hermosillo from two different plants (one is huge), the orange pods are the Chiltepin Amarillo mentioned above:

CGN 12020 (I think that's what it was), C. frutescens

Bhut Jolokia 'Guhahati'

Some nice placenta on the inside:

:hot:

Back