• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

favorite Your Favorite C. frutescens

I grew a Tabasco a couple years ago and wasn't too impressed. This year I'm giving C. frutescens another go... growing Donne Sali and maybe a Malagueta.

Do you have any favorite C. frutescens for taste or productivity?

why weren't you impressed?
i have 3 plants that haven't produced yet, i know i would be unimpressed if they ended up tasting like cayenne.

All are productive. I have eaten 5 kinds with tabasco being my least favorite. The chuncho will produce a couple thousand pods for you on a 6' plant. Packed up a few kinds and shipping them out to you tomorrow. If you don't like the taste you will still like the growth pattern of them.

Redtail reminded me of another. Throwing peri peri in too.

i have 3 plants that haven't produced yet, i know i would be unimpressed if they ended up tasting like cayenne.

It's been a while, so I can't accurately characterize the taste anymore, it was hot, but the flavor was nondescript as I recall...

Not like cayenne....taste,heat,versatility are way better IMO. Biggest problem with tabasco is they turn to mush before they are ripe. I like the smaller podded c.frut for that reason. They suck to pick though.

The Bohemian pepper is a little known but fiery little frutescens that I think Pepperlover.com sells under the name Bradley's Bohemian. At just under 100K, it is probably one of the hottest of the species.

I have them growing this year as well as tobasco. I like them both.

i prefer the frutescens to a chinense, maybe because they are more readily available (they are very productive) and since they arent as hot, most of family and friends can eat them.

i prefer the frutescens to a chinense, maybe because they are more readily available (they are very productive) and since they arent as hot, most of family and friends can eat them.

Okay, that makes sense, you can just throw them straight into the food and add a few more if you want the food hotter... with some chinenses chopping and guessing can be cumbersome compared to frutescens...

i had 6 tabasco plants last year they were 3 feet wide 5-6 feet tall and loaded with a few 1000s pods got tierd of pickin em. Taste to me is good i made hot sauce and supplied a few mexican familys and could never run out once they got going they whent hard till november till cold temps killed em have no room for em this year but will try more c fruc, next year i want to try some duke peqin but seems more like a C annum pepperlover has som diff kinds im lookin at tho,Tabasco are very versitille peppers you can dry em but the juice they contain makes it hard, cuz they rot, paste sauce is were they shine and raw on food i would put a few in my mouth wille i piked peppers in the garden i was dippin peppers LoL :mouthonfire:

My favorite is a pequin type very similar to the "Duke Pequin" or "Chile Del Diablo" that I got from a local Mexican-American guy that a family member brought him from Mexico. Very strong flavor and aroma, as well as a big punch of heat!

You are gonna love the Donne Sali man!
To be so small it packs a mean punch!!!
My favorite for garden snacking
9-1-11DonneSali.jpg

:cool:
Kevin

I am yet to try a tobasco (growing one this year) but I do have a prik ki nu which has a great stingy burn. I think there is some debate between whether it is a C. Annum or a C.frutescens but if its the latter that would be my favourite ... I know jungle rain has it listed as a annum but I have read it referred to as either or both ... not sure

I am yet to try a tobasco (growing one this year) but I do have a prik ki nu which has a great stingy burn. I think there is some debate between whether it is a C. Annum or a C.frutescens but if its the latter that would be my favourite ... I know jungle rain has it listed as a annum but I have read it referred to as either or both ... not sure

Trippa, we are doing a prik ki nu growdown over in the "Glogs" area if you want to get in on it. It is definitely my favorite C.frutescens. At least I believe it is a frutescens, it sure looks like one to me.

Also I have heard that Donne Sali is sometimes Annuum and sometimes frutescens, or more accurately, there are two distinctly different peppers in Guam referred to as Donne sali. I have some growing now that definitely look Annuum to me, but Wayrights look different than mine.

Back