• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

geez. Tell ya what, after you kill all the aphids off, send me that OW. Around April 15? I'll even pay shipping. :lol:

I got three plants so I can always OW 2 of them ;)

romy6 said:
 Annie , great review of the 7 burgundy but that fermented sauce takes the cake.  U da woman.

I see fresh madballz headed your way soon  :dance:

photo_zps1ccc8456.jpg

YUM! :party: (Go on and turn, darlins!) Sweet Jamie, I know you wouldn't tease m'now. (Dang, I love this pepper!) I was always really nice to my youngest baby bro.  :rolleyes:  (The others I brained with ball bats and stuff . . . we they acquired an understanding.) Been saving Caldwell's just for that MBZ ferment. Might not get more than enough for you and me and whoever else you think should get woozys; after the ferment, whadya think be good in sauce? Not gone sweet tater yet, well have for ferment sugars in one, but I kinda taste organic raisins, garlic, onion, little ginger in ferment. Once fermented, anything can happen. But liking idea of butternut squash, sweet potato in sauce w/oj or p-apple j. concentrate--gets "the good earth" of CB and fruit of 7, after pH is right and taste is right in ferment. Was pleased that pH of SBonnet sauce after double cooking at over 200F with pineapple and tomatillo, couple tablespoons lime j., was 3.6. PM me with any ideas; please. And from a Yankees fan: SKO RAYS!
Bodeen said:
 geez. Tell ya what, after you kill all the aphids off, send me that OW. Around April 15? I'll even pay shipping. :lol:

I got three plants so I can always OW 2 of them ;)

I was just playing widya hon, but that would be wonderful and I will gladly pay for shipping! :pray:

Annie that sounds amazing. Bill made a sauce using pumpkin( best damn sauce ever ),   and butternut squash is closely related so I say go for it girl.

My Braves lost so I am all out of baseball  :rolleyes:

romy6 said:
 Annie that sounds amazing. Bill made a sauce using pumpkin( best damn sauce ever ),   and butternut squash is closely related so I say go for it girl.

My Braves lost so I am all out of baseball  :rolleyes:

Heck, any sauce Bill makes is primo! Actually might use "Japanese Sweet Tater" (my grandmother's name for heirloom Neck Pumpkin, which makes pumpkin sit down; Rays were ticking me off so went to check stash of winter squash and have couple nice ones).
Braves po'ed me too . . *sigh*

On a bright note, my "chillren's" mid-term essays read half-decently  :shocked: . For freshmen in college, they're almost sophomores in h.s., finally. :banghead: And I can have m-t grades in to Registrar on time! :dance: (Not that I give a d about "grades." I care about them thinking creatively and analytically. But to keep everybody happy . . .) Have a great one!

Hi Miz Annie... reading your posts on ferments, you don't do things in half measures do you? :) You've got some great sounding sauces going, and will fo' sho' be standing pretty for the off-season. I'm looking forward to seeing what you do with them all when you start cooking for the holidays. I love Eggplant, and I could just mentally "taste" the Eplant Parmagiana you made with the smoked Red Hab sauce. :drooling:
Cheers!

Apologize for not being up to date on glogs, my loss.

Got mid-term grades in around 5 am Sat. morning and then "it" hit me: stomach bug.  At first thought it was exhaustion because of running around Friday, still dealing with new computer and this laptop linking (or not) and sharing (or not) with existing router and other stuff, like we do: take watches into jeweler's, bla, bla, bla. By mid-day Sat. so bad I called my Mommy. Yeah. Sat night still queasy and po'ed that had not processed Peach Bhut ferment.

Anybody ever processed a hot sauce coming off stomach bug?

Mama felt so bad for me (or afraid for me) as I have bad burn on hand from Scotch Bonnet process still, she came over to help me bottle. Daddy was "If she's sick, what's she messin' around cookin' for?" Mama snapped at him, "She's MY daughter and if I'd not cooked when I was sick, you'd a-starved. She gets it naturally; I'll call you when we're done." He grumped back to his truck. Now I have to add my mother LOVES peach bhut. Was there a motive? Dunno and don't care. She tasted sauce for me (she does a lot of curried this and that), we processed, bottled, she took two bottles home with her--she wanted labels too! Fine by me!

Peach Bhut "Namaste" Sauce:

PeachBhutSauce3KEEPER_zpsf2417ea2.jpg

AnnsGlog10-13-13PeachBhutsauce2_zps02a4fa3b.jpg

pH 3.5 after ingredients and heated to 200F. Inverted overnight. Yield: 15 woozies

Ingredients:*
Peach Bhut Jolokia with organic dried apricot, onion, garlic, ginger in ferment; scallion, garlic, ginger, mango (on green side), lime zest, dried apricot, agave, lime juice, Himalayan Pink sea salt, white pepper, coriander, cumin, anise, green cardamom, Ceylon cinnamon, clove, garam masala, 5 spice, almond extract. * Label reads coconut milk and evaporated cane sugar but not. Agave tasted better with those spices and coconut milk @ high temps it doesn't work well for me. Also, sauce is smooth. THICK but smooth tasting. And is hot with very good flavor: can taste the peach bhut and is not too sweet because used less ripe mangoes.

And am so grateful to and for my mother: "Woah, that's not cinnamon! Cloves?! Not that much!!" Ooops. Have lost 5 lbs. couldn't afford to lose, mostly in brain. Other fun moments with my mother as I stumbled through this: "You want to put a cap on that before ya invert it?" What I would do differently (besides gain back weight in brain before processing)? Add mango nectar and touch of Cane Vinegar; while increasing volume, thin down a bit.

Meant to get to garden to snag some big harvest awaiting for dehydrating but smelling them dry? No.

Note to Jamie/Romy6: HonEEE, if you get me some Madballz for ferment, I have access to punkins from neighbor in town, little baby pumpkins that are so sweet and yummy.

Next up:  Habapiña, after take Dad to see his surgeon for next surgery on carotid on Thursday. Then TexMEXX steak/pork sauce, Tabasco/Naga Wing Sauce, Fatalii Apple-Butter Pork Etc. Glaze, and Madballz ferment with pumpkin, if Jamie :mope: sends :tear: Madballz :rofl: . Just playing with ya SweetJamie! :drooling:

Oh Annie I have some madballz on the plant with your name all over it. But I have only been getting one or two to ripen at a time :rolleyes: . So i am  gonna try to see if I can get enough to ripen to fill a sfrb . Which I know is not enough to make a huge ferment .  :confused:  

Sucks about the stomach bug. Not something to take lightly. If you were fat like me you would not have even noticed you lost 5 pounds  ;)

Oh and you will be happy to know we won our first baseball game 10 to 1. My boys far exceeded my expectations  :party:

Getter better fast so you can process some fresh madballz soon  :fireball:

IMG_5039_zpse19de060.jpg

romy6 said:
 Oh Annie I have some madballz on the plant with your name all over it. But I have only been getting one or two to ripen at a time :rolleyes: . So i am  gonna try to see if I can get enough to ripen to fill a sfrb . Which I know is not enough to make a huge ferment .  :confused:  Pack em in tight and we'll see about that! I have faith the pods will ripen. SFRB go a quart ferment, I bet. Make at least 6-7 woozies and those little pumpkins are sooooooooooo good!

Sucks about the stomach bug. Not something to take lightly. If you were fat like me you would not have even noticed you lost 5 pounds  ;) You aren't fat. Funny how people who think they're fat aren't and those who are nearly medically obese think they just right size. Like I think I'm crazy, so am probably sane. But then again . . . :rofl: But again, lost it all in brain. Really do appreciate my mom. I was in from college on a break once, went over to her private daycare/kindergarten to say "hello" and the woman had 50 kids, 5 useless workers, 2 great kindergarten teachers, a mask on her face, carrying around a small trashcan to uh . . . I called da board in Raleigh and since had taken enough ED courses at time, they plugged me in for day. A 14 hour day. Made her go home and told anybody who answered the phones to hang up if it was her.  I get that "don't quit when ya should" from her. But so cool her helping me with her really dry-a* sense of humor. Us trying to share a kitchen or cook together when I was a teenager was a damned disaster, yelling, etc. Yesterday I said, "Mama, this is something I'll cherish." She said, tasting sauce, "I'm gonna cherish this sauce." :rolleyes:

Oh and you will be happy to know we won our first baseball game 10 to 1. My boys far exceeded my expectations  :party: Hey COACH! :dance:  That was a slaughter! (Did the boys pack shanks into their socks for stealing bases as I suggested to ya? j/k) See? This is one "told ya so" am enjoying.

Getter better fast so you can process some fresh madballz soon  :fireball:Me go: :party:

Message to you, Mr. Madballz Plant, below: RIPEN YOUR PODS BECAUSE I CAN WAIT YOU OUT!! Pretty Madballz. Nice Madballz. :rolleyes:
IMG_5039_zpse19de060.jpg

Wicked looking Peach Bhut Sause muchacha …

hmm Peach Bhut Salutation or are you using “Namaste” in another context? Hey I think it works, “Peach Bhut, I bow to the God within you," sure will make it hard for you to come up with a name to top dat for the BOC, heheh. Dat said, I love the name and label, so perceptive to India and da region … great job muchacha.

It’s so awesome dat Mom helped you out, parental units … dem so great \o/ …
I don’t think a day goes by where I don’t think of my mother, father or both. So cool mom took two, I woulda said: “mom are you sure 2 will hold you or you think you need tres,” lol.

Hope Papi comes thru with flying colors on Thursday
Habapiña sounds awesome and so does your “TexMEXX steak/pork sauce, Tabasco/Naga Wing Sauce, Fatalii Apple-Butter Pork Etc. Glaze, and Madballz ferment with pumpkin … “

Jah Hab an awesome week muchacha and hope you feeling better ^_^

Devv said:
Sorry 'bout you having the stomach crud, it's never fun.

Glad Mom came by to help, really cool of her!

Sauce looks and sounds great!...Uh Oh, now I have to buy woozies too.....

Have a great week!

Cool on Mama, indeed! I thought I was just tried but had I tried Excel to send to registrar while sick, on this laptop? Good idea that did it before the bug slammed, however wasted I/Sat was.

Don't know why Ma crazy about PBhut because she loves my Tabasco sauce (she used to "ferment" Tab with salt and vinegar): go figure. She likes Madballz too. Since I only got one other chillihead in fam, I let her try everything (that she won't cuss me for--even if she cussed me for Douglah; so I fib, as I about let her try everything)! She'd never say it but she's proud of me for growing hot peppers and esp. doing mashes (her moonshiner father?): SCOTTY! Woozys??

The woozy comment did not escape me!  :dance:  Beth, at peppermania, IN TEXAS, has a good deal going, I think, as she offers Xanthan gum, not that I need it, a few seeds, shrink wrap and reducers with each order. If using a jar grabber like for canning . . . just pour boiling water out of woozys slowly. Ring finger on right hand speaks volumes to that from bonnet sauce. Again, would be happy to walk ya through process. With ferments, doesn't take much in processing (I heat sauce to boiling and woozys same) to keep pH more stable than white vinegar. Lemme know!

WalkGood said:
Wicked looking Peach Bhut Sause muchacha …

hmm Peach Bhut Salutation or are you using “Namaste” in another context? Hey I think it works, “Peach Bhut, I bow to the God within you," sure will make it hard for you to come up with a name to top dat for the BOC, heheh. Dat said, I love the name and label, so perceptive to India and da region … great job muchacha.

It’s so awesome dat Mom helped you out, parental units … dem so great \o/ …
I don’t think a day goes by where I don’t think of my mother, father or both. So cool mom took two, I woulda said: “mom are you sure 2 will hold you or you think you need tres,” lol.

Hope Papi comes thru with flying colors on Thursday
Habapiña sounds awesome and so does your “TexMEXX steak/pork sauce, Tabasco/Naga Wing Sauce, Fatalii Apple-Butter Pork Etc. Glaze, and Madballz ferment with pumpkin … “

Jah Hab an awesome week muchacha and hope you feeling better ^_^

Querido, my translation of "Namaste" with dis is "greetings and heat this stuff in microwave with cap off after opening/refrigerating to get it to pour" :rofl:  It's thick! I wish I'd called it "Peach Bhuddha" with other puter dying and my main tech going on 10 day vacaciones en España, am livid with the tech there ("You might have to pay Onsite Solutions to come to your house to get new printer to share and communicate with now 2 different Operating Systems"? and me: "What am I paying YOU for?") and not thinking straight.

Thank you for getting the India "idea." :party:  And it worked well (with my mother watchdogging me). Esp. since I didn't dump a teaspoon of cloves in it: thank ya Mama! My head was :crazy: from getting over sick. Heck, was surprised she only took dos pero si habia deseado tres, claro, bien. But she knows am making that Tab sauce! She'll get at least 4 woozys those. Literally, she'll come take them! But not if I offer first, which I will. Habapiña will be fun and TexMeXXX, complicated as have frozen lots of ripe poblano for it to roast, peel, deseed, smoke, with some pasilla and jals, and sun dried/dehydrated tomatoes added to ferment. Why? The ferment is combo smoked choc habs, ripe jals, Douglah for heat, toasted cumin seeds, raisins, garlic, onion.

Yes, I tried to express how much I'd miss her with my cherish comment and she responded with cherishing sauce. But she's never been sappy/emotional type. She knew what I meant and got it. I set up a cooking schedule for fixing Thanksgiving dinner a couple years ago. Gave her a copy. Pretty sure she laughed and trashed it. So I learned: called my brothers and said, "Buy 5 pork butts. Your other brother from another mother is buying an 18 lb. turkey; your other bro is buying 30 lbs. chuck roast. Bring them all to me to prep and smoke." I cooked meat for 3 days but avoided any kitchen wars. :D  Watching my grandmother take her last breath and standing beside Mama through that, I have an idea, mi hermano. I got to give it to Jah and be grateful I've had her for the time I have. Thanks on wishes for my father too! Think sutures or stitches from last surgery were supposed to disintegrate but he's managed to shave them off. Mamacita mad. Me? I think it's hilarious! (He only pulled that stunt after they HAD disintegrated. Man knows how to get her temper up: good for her heart! lol)

GA Growhead said:
Hope that bug makes it thru you! and you are all good.
BOC sauce. Burnt On Contact?
I'm only getting a madballz or two a week right now too. Otherwise i would send you a box full. :D

I bet my computer tech hopes that this bug is gone this morning too, Jason! Taking new printer to her and laptop, got no clue what we're doing but I pray it works.

I like Burnt on Contact! Bruising Orange from John Prine's greatest album, Bruised Orange, would work too. I play that one for my students: they need to know obscure but amazing albums that came out before they were born. I mean, "Bark, Battle and Ball" by The Platters should be R rated, came out before I was born (and not expected from that group) but I have the CD, have the song--or maybe have it, did have it in My Music. Let's hope it's still there. :D

S'okay on MDBZ; I know you would! Jamie say he got me covered. And if something happens can wait until next year. "Don't sweat the small sh**t and it's all small sh**t" (except for getting a network re-established with my router and new desktop and this laptop. smdh!) lol Have a good one darlin'!

Everybody thanks for looking and commenting!

Dang Annie...you live a troubled life! If you're not tipping over wheelbarrows, you're hanging on the monkey bars to fix your back...and now you're sick AGAIN?!?!?! Sorry lady, feel better soon. One fresh Barrackpore always fixes any stomach problems I have.

stc3248 said:
Dang Annie...you live a troubled life! If you're not tipping over wheelbarrows, you're hanging on the monkey bars to fix your back...and now you're sick AGAIN?!?!?! Sorry lady, feel better soon. One fresh Barrackpore always fixes any stomach problems I have.

UPS says they'll ship a horse's head, bit by a bubonic rat, to your weekly address/stick in bed m-o-night. For pennies, tokens of my appreciation m'love. Dang, Shane, ya vying for Jamie's place as the little bro I never had? Mine were all terrified of me. Hmm. Been out thar in Cali too long: need to remember how mean a Southern woman can git. :D Just playin.' :rofl:

Barrackpore don cure no plague. You forgot to add that I have skin falling off part of ring finger of right hand from mishandling (or trying to go too fast) with woozys heating to over boiling in pressure-canner. Reched in with that jar grabber and poured water out a tad too fast. Hell, first time I'd ever used woozys (or boiled water? smdh) Fortunately, am built "Fjord Tough."

And you didn't say diddly squat about Peach Bhuddha sauce :mope: :rofl: Peace, sweetie!

Well done Annie.....I've missed all your posts about this, but glad you seem to be feeling better, nothing worse then a stomach bug!!

Penny said:
Well done Annie.....I've missed all your posts about this, but glad you seem to be feeling better, nothing worse then a stomach bug!!

Thank you, Penny. Glog has been fun this year! Lots worse things I can think of than stomach bug but thankfully only that and < 24 hours is good!

Well if you didn't already get the printer working send me a PM, it's not hard to setup...can't be any harder than making ferments :liar:

Burns are no fun, I learned not to wear a watch or rings in '78 when I shorted my watch between a battery and fender of an old Ford. It turned a pretty color but hurt.....

Back