• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

stc3248 said:
Haha...last thing I need is another pod right now!!! Haha...and the really great thing is. YOU EITHER!!! :dance:

Enjoy them spicy cajun style kermits!

Ain't this truth . . . if we all lived in one self-constructed real-life neighborhood, which is the only one that'd have us all, be most folks in North America running away from one another about now. "No. I'm good. Really. I said, 'at's awite!"

Kermirleton? After torturing myself until 4am with those godawful essays, am going to visit the chili farms of others :party: Making sauce tomorrow. Too mentally wiped out today. Gonna see if ya pullin' my leg :liar:

Some harvest shots from today, 2nd this week and entirely missed a naga plant and 3 orange thai. If someone would like to have some orange thai, like a box of them, PM me.

The Trinidads with Yellow Bouquet (some aren't totally-ripe but a few days in brown paper bag fixes that):

AnnsGlog9-8Trinidadsandyellowbouquet_zpscf721be5.jpg

Habs and yellow CARDI with some jals, serrano, aji limon, Inca Red Drop. Mound is 5 inches deep at top--just dumped them for pic:

AnnsGlog9-8HabsCARDIajilimonserranojals_zps5fa37ccc.jpg

And to my surprise, SSurfer was right: Red Rocoto does pod here--only one I have podding--yellow, no Mexican, no; but the red, finally:

AnnsGlog9-8RedRocoto3_zps2c1f85c5.jpg

AnnsGlog9-8RedRocoto1_zps15d13449.jpg

AnnsGlog9-8RedRocoto2_zps642ffd5d.jpg

Thanks for looking. Feeding cats and returning to check out glogs.

Devv said:
Quite a haul there Annie!

Someones gonna be busy!

And I saw Deliverance when it came out, scarred me for life..LOL.

Am outta "likes" Scotty.

Man, you did your "grow property" RIGHT! Impressive and inspirational.

Yep: processing this many? Hell, mentioned to a friend storing some peppers in her upright freezer. (I have one.) Word spread; now, nobody's answering phone--damned caller-ID.

If I could lay my hands on some illegal labor and score a bunch of 10 oz. woozys . . . anyhow, yes: busy. I just need somebody to whack stuff for prep, like onions, garlic, ginger, deseed peppers . . . wait, wait, wait, would it be unethical for me to "utilize" my students? No; am going with Caribbean lit theme. After I "scar them for life," they might do anything!! :rofl: All I gotta do to keep 'em working is play first few notes of "Dueling Banjos." Thank you for that idea :clap: . Actually, am tickled about the pods on that red rocoto/manzano. My tag got gone but I think it's the red since none of rest are podding up. Again, thanks for idea! :D

WalkGood said:
Heck dem dueling banjos would scare me off, run dem comming for da Cuban, hahaha ...

Great haul Annie \o_

Thanks, mi hermano, I think. On the Deliverance note, be to look in mail round Thursday. :D Just kiddin.' Be do check mail if you can crawl to the box. I'm sorry you're having to do so much at the moment, but proud to call you friend that you are. ;) Put rest of Scotch bonnets in ferment last night. Scott made me do it--no; just PMing him gives me ideas, lol--only had a little over quart of almost finished SB ferment so added some mango, chocho, 1/4th onion, some sea salt, about 40 minced bonnets to the mash, stirred in; will ferment faster, already popping the airlock: bonnets are sweet. More natural sugars, faster ferment kicks.

Devv said:
Inspiration...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1tqxzWdKKu8

After they see the movie, you can play the music as they fill the classroom for a few weeks....LOL

Oh, since I play guitar, Scott, I can play the guitar part of "DB." One of first songs learned when I was 14. Live is always better. More . . . real and . . . uh menacing. I gots overalls too. :cool: A few strains of "Love Hurts" blended with it . . .

meatfreak said:
Nice harvest, Annie. Looks like there's still more to come :)

Thanks Meat! Mailed out the ripe Orange Thai pods yesterday--the orange things beside the rocoto in pic? Their brothas already turning again on plant. :shocked: Great weather, highs in high-80'sF and lows at night in mid-60's F. Again, thanks!

PIC 1 said:
Annie you're just getting some killer harvests........what's next on the chopping block?.........sauce or pickling...

Hiya Greg! Sorta overun atm, pun, with em. Sauce, powders/blends, sending folks pods. Already pickled a bunch, well Tabasco ferment, coming to hang out with you to learn how to "chef." Make ya some pulled pork and Brunswick stew, eastern nc style.

Shoulder clipped by student's side mirror of truck little while ago, parked in faculty parking, trying to avoid ticket by campus cops, fast back and wide but kid stopped, helped, bla bla. Just kids being kids but least stopped. Worst thing, I saw him, jumped wide but he was zoom. Statement to cops while sick from pain, kinda funny. Don't think more than bruised. Hoping. Rode bike in Midtown Manhattan but hit by truck in podunk USA uni p lot? Gotta jet. Better half here to take to hospital. Just bruised, please.

Devv said:
I'm not liking this....

Hope you're OK!

stc3248 said:
Lol...Annie. You get hit by a car and still manage to update your glog!!! That's some hardcore chiliehead stuff right tharr!!!

WalkGood said:
I hope you're ok muchacha don't let dem kids drive you nuts ... just flunk him, lol ;)

GA Growhead said:
Hope your all good too!

Thanks, guys. Sorry to leave on that note but while waiting had to get mind off pain. Came out of drug-grog long enough to post here since left abrupt. Just severely contused "proximal humerus," find nothing funny about it, and bruised clavicle. Assessing further joint/nerve damage--which is funny--what's to assess--"you have some whiplash, probably pinched nerve"--well, neck is a buncha joints--next week but MRI showed no torn rotator cuff, my fear, as neck always is. Got away from osteo version of Lizzy Borden ASAP. Wanted to gimme a cortisone shot in neck but with that nondescript "whiplash, pinched, probably," refused. See chiro next week: he's virtually psychic, can intuit MRIs, X-rays and licensed acupuncturist. Popped with Toradol and my honey got script for next few days. Again, thanks and sorry to "well just clipped by, gotta go"--back to some ice and heat.

Update:

With help of an old, dear friend aka, "keeper"--former roommate from 1st grad school program, in medical profession and called in by my "honey"--made "Island Sauce" today. It's based off Ramon's/Walkgood's White Bhut Jerk and Rick's/Stickman's Red Hab Sauce and other ideas picked up in Dominican Republic and Yucatan of Mexico. No pics of process as I'm a juggler with one good hand/arm and she was unacquainted with kitchen.

Pic:

AnnsGlog9-12IslandSauce_zps112b52f2.jpg

Recipe. * indicates what do differently next time and ** "a note:"

Island Sauce (Creamy Jerk) Makes 72 oz. or 2.25 quarts (US)
  • 35-40 very sweet and hot, ripe but crispy, JA Habs, rough chopped, then minced in 3 cup food chopper.
  • 2 mango, on the less ripe side, cubed
  • 2 chayotes (or chochos), chopped
  • 1 large sweet white onion, minced
  • 8 green onions with a lot of green shoots
  • 6 cloves garlic, minced* (if garlic is store bought, this is fine; but mine was sweet, mild, homegrown--go 8-10 if so)
  • 1 inch piece ginger, minced
  • 1.5 teaspoons allspice, freshly ground from berries* (next will use 2 full teaspoons, but I love allspice)
  • 1 teaspoon freshly ground thyme (from dried leaves)
  • 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground Ceylon cinnamon
  • 1/2 teaspoon cumin
  • 1/4 teaspoon corinader
  • 1 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
  • 1/4 teaspoon sweet smoked Spanish paprika
  • 1/2 teaspoon Ras El Hanout or Jamaican curry (or curry) without hot pepper or salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon fenugreek
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 1 tablespoons freshly ground black pepper* (next will use white peppercorns)
  • 2 tablespoons brown sugar
  • 3/4 cup cane vinegar
  • 1/2 cup lime juice from concentrate
  • 2 limes, juice, as much pulp as can get without white ribs
  • 1/2 cup pineapple juice, from concentrate
Directions:

1. Add rough chopped, then minced peppers to low simmered vinegar, lime juice, and 1 teaspoon salt in sauce pot.
2. Simmer until peppers soften enough to run through medium screen of a food mill, which will catch seeds. If you like seeds, skip the food mill step.
3. Pour pulp of peppers with vinegar, lime juice into large sauce pot.
4. Add mango, chayote, ginger, onion, garlic--all chopped/minced solids into pot with pepper pulp.
5. Add spices to mixture, including 1(the other) teaspoon salt/pepper, along with lime juice/pulp, and 1/2 cup pineapple juice.
6. Heat on low simmer for about 30 minutes, careful not to burn or heat spices too much; stir occasionally.
7. When chayote/chocho have softened, run mixture through blender in batches and pour all back into sauce pot.
8. Heat to 185F, then back it off to simmer and reduce if necessary. If already reduced to consistency wanted, simmer another 20 minutes but maintain heat to no more than 185 if can.
9. Bottle in prepared, sterilized hot woozys, invert; or prepared, sterilized, hot pint or half-pint sterilized jars, or refrigerate. I pressure canned these at 200°F for 10 minutes because it's faster. Next batch will do with woozy/invert method to avoid that step.

**Note: because I wanted to preserve and send some half-pints for taste-testing, I didn't use oil to sauté all ingredients. If preserving in fridge, fine to sauté all in oil. And have gotten away with a marinade by water-bathing once with olive oil/garlic ingredients, but don't want to push luck.

Verdict: I might use more peppers next time. But while these flavors need to marry, mingle for about a week--have some in fridge (if it lasts a week)--is a nice dipping sauce for shellfish, fish, chicken, or pork, especially, grilled. Reminds me of a sauce this guy used with homemade mojo, to marinade, slather/baste, on grilled chicken, fish, shellfish, pork, and as dip--all purpose--at this seafood shack (always the best) on north Sosua beach. It's not overly hot but is thick, spicy, tropical, not sweet, and leaves no weird aftertaste. Heck, I'm going to use it as a "table sauce." It's going on "Austinized"-migas tomorrow morning as my husband promised me :dance: .

Thanks for looking!

Nice looking sauce Annie! The Chayote makes it look a little pale, but I'm sure it tastes great.

Sorry to hear you got into a rhubarb with that kid in his truck... it sounds like you were a lot more patient with him than I would have been. Speaking of "Deliverance"... rear-window rifle racks were invented for people who drive like that. Hope you feel better soon!

I too made one with 40 to 50 JA Habs last year that I felt did not come out as hot as my peppers are normally but I ended up loving the sauce and that's the important thing IMHO. Awesome work you do muchacha and hope the flavors merge to make it even more awesome for you :)

Hope you are feeling better ... I wish you and la familia a wonderful awesome weekend \o/

Back