• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Annie's 2014 Glog: FINAL Grow List before new 2014 glog

Began 2013 yesterday morning. 12 hour soak seed soak in potassium nitrate and H202 (diluted) in ice trays. Kept warm on heat mats. Mix is Promix BX with a lot of perlite added. Pre-moistened, then put in 72 cell 6 pack flats and bottom watered on heat mat to fully wet mix with Actinovate, kelp, Biotamax--a sliver--then drained, aerated with fork, then back to mats to await seeds. Lost a few seeds as I'm handier with turkey baster (obviously from seeds left in bulb when clean-up) when it's used for Q or turkey, but have plenty of viable seeds. Trying to prevent damping off. Seeds from Chris, Jamie (Romy6), Ed, Judy (pepperlover.com), peppergal, peppermania, Baker Creek, Trade Winds, Tomato Grower's Supply, My Patriot Supply . . . and my own saved. Now to prevent damping off. Have ordered Pyrethrin to go with Actinovate, lots of fans, soil temps were 85 this morning when wood stove was dying, restoked, back up to 90F, soil temps (sorry, no pic), as while carrying in wood in our ice and snow/ice storm yesterday morning, I fell. Sorta fell. Falling would have hurt less: why do we try to stop the inevitable? This is my first grow of superhots, so please, any suggestions?! Lemme know, please. Right now the domes are on again, but will be slanting them off in a couple days, if not sooner, and always, flats get 20 minutes fresh air in morning. (Freezing but fresh air <grin>.)

Anns2013Glogsuperhotsinaflat.jpg

Anns2013Glogsuperhot2.jpg

Anns2013Glogfanonflats.jpg

Lights and mylar box--other side of shelving unit is large white sheet (and I know the mylar is crinkled). Also there's some diluted Clorox gunk am gonna get off, but for now, I like the idea of diluted Clorox gunk.
Anns2013Gloggrowlights.jpg

Anns2013Gloglightsmylarupclose.jpg

Other side lights: fans

Anns2013Gloglightswithfans.jpg

Thanks to so many helpful members here. I hope these seeds hook, live long, prosper, aka do not damp-off. Updates, I hope :rolleyes:. Peace, Annie

I have a nice stump and a bunch of roots, probably all about 6 to 8 inched round to get out before i can build the raised beds for our new garden. Thought about speed rotting and burning it out but since I just have to get it down below the dirt line I'm just going to attach it with the circular saw, a mattock and my daughter's boy friends :) 

Wishing you a fantastic grow in the expanded garden this year!

stickman said:
One other thought... do you have any local companies that sell specialty hardwoods? I'll bet they'd be over there in a flash if your price was right. I knew a family in Berkshire County, MA that had two 100+ year-old Black Walnuts planted in the front yard for shade. They left for a week's vacation and came home to find them gone... sounds like the "Wood Weasels" paid a visit...

Hon, if Drexel and Henredon were still here, I'd have this walnut already gone: they'd have come taken it down, and pulled stump for cabinetry wood. Couple notches, back-cuts, one long log per tree. But . . . since the home of furniture manufacturing is now the home of Walmart Super-Centers . . . and very few lone cabinetry makers left . . . just sad. Just got email back from Remington and they're contacting me next Monday. They gonna have to come get it, but works for me! Thanks again, Rick. I've never had to deal with BWalnut prior to living here. But one way or another, something will work out. Thanks again!

How big is this walnut tree?  I heard a story once of someone getting multiple users of walnut to come bid on a tree.  The winner took the whole thing, stump and all.  Seems a shame to just burn it.  A walnut stump is a terrible thing to waste.

This document (pdf) has some good info on walnut allelopathy.  From this it seems unlikely you'll be able to burn enough roots to alleviate the problem entirely.  Maybe just plant tolerant varieties there for the next few years?

Sawyer said:

This document (pdf) has some good info on walnut allelopathy.  From this it seems unlikely you'll be able to burn enough roots to alleviate the problem entirely.  Maybe just plant tolerant varieties there for the next few years?

Well, now we are back to blowing it up. :D

I bet a 1/2 lb of a nice fast shotgun powder would do it.
red_dot_lg.jpg

I almost guarantee that if you got in trouble shooting the shotgun at the bugler, you would get in a lot more hot water detonating a bunch of this under the stump, but it sure would be a hoot if done safely.

It might just be better to pay someone with a stump grinder. I had one done in my front yard. The grinder can reach about 12" below the surface.
117273d1230307978-stump-grinder-questions-stumpgrinderred.jpg

Scarecrw said:
Try some diesel fuel and fertilizer. Kinda works like dynamite. As Rick said " kids don't try this at home"
That's puttiing it mildly... Timothy McVeigh touched off a truckload of the stuff in Oklahoma City back in '95... good god, was it really almost 20 years ago... Bear in mind that Ammonium Nitrate and Deisel oil make an explosive with a slow burn rate...  we used to use it to blow really big craters in the ground to deny roads and airstrips to the enemy because the slow burn rate meant that it was better at excavating the craters because it was still burning and expanding after breaking up the ground above the charge. Faster explosives are better at breaking up rock and concrete and cutting steel.

Jeff H said:

Well, now we are back to blowing it up. :D

I bet a 1/2 lb of a nice fast shotgun powder would do it.
red_dot_lg.jpg

I almost guarantee that if you got in trouble shooting the shotgun at the bugler, you would get in a lot more hot water detonating a bunch of this under the stump, but it sure would be a hoot if done safely.

It might just be better to pay someone with a stump grinder. I had one done in my front yard. The grinder can reach about 12" below the surface.
117273d1230307978-stump-grinder-questions-stumpgrinderred.jpg

Damn, Jeff! Red Dot or R-S Big Game. But I watched youtube 3X! A thing of beauty. Li'l ole caps and "batt'rie." Looked about 75 yard or more away and dirt falling around them . . . eh, naw. Uh, Jeff, I can run a stump-grinder. I need relief on big stumps but I can run one. Slow and steady (I did professional hardwood floor sanding for refinishing for many years); the difference is strength but neither can get away from ya. Well, they can but . . . :rofl:

stickman said:
That's puttiing it mildly... Timothy McVeigh touched off a truckload of the stuff in Oklahoma City back in '95... good god, was it really almost 20 years ago... Bear in mind that Ammonium Nitrate and Deisel oil make an explosive with a slow burn rate...  we used to use it to blow really big craters in the ground to deny roads and airstrips to the enemy because the slow burn rate meant that it was better at excavating the craters because it was still burning and expanding after breaking up the ground above the charge. Faster explosives are better at breaking up rock and concrete and cutting steel.

No doubt, Rick! I know he was just kidding, but a "day that lives in infamy" and seems like yesterday. Well, potassium nitrate is what I have. And while there are tutorials on how to make AN, just sounds like 34-0-0 is asking for a lot of trouble.

I like the method below and I have everything to set it up, except I'd use some lump coal and "crap wood"--I use Kingsford for slow smokes, but it doesn't go in my garden. I use lump for hotter fires and it can go in garden.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bqnvKRfc8bM

Jeff H said:
I like it but I think I would use a longer bit to get down deeper. I have a couple of 16" bits that would work nicely for something like that.

Yeah, that was a wee-bit, no pun intended, short. I can bum a 14 or 16 off my bro aka buy them or just go to Harbor Freight/Northern Tool--hey! Buy used one off Ebay! One without pic :rofl: . Mine are only 6 and 8--I think 8--but not long enough. In fact . . . might buy a couple, ya know?

JJJessee said:
That looked like it burned pretty far down even with shallow holes.
Purty njeanyus outfit.

I'm stealing "njeanyus." (And yes, it did go down to a good depth); don't know if he was using an electric leaf blower--they are worthless BUT ex bought me one. "Like what am I gonna do with this?" And now I understand that he just had . . . prescience. Njeanyus!

Okay . . . this is the final list before beginning new glog and will carry it over to new glog. (I nearly hate to copy and paste this. Scares me.) That which is in bold, is whew, new to list. Big shout out to Judy/pepperlover for her Christmas spirit . . . I think . . . also couldn't resist a few at Old Barn/Buckeye . . . many thanks to everybody who sent me peppers; great will be your reward, later on. I'll try not to send what you sent me in 2013 if you're growing it again!  (And I do have more seed varieties but I just can't.) Ice-storm predicted for Sunday/Monday so now is not the time to put on heatmats. Medium's not going anywhere. This year's medium is 50/50 blend Promix BX and FF Lt. Warrior.

Also, quick question, anybody? Am using H2O conditioner from fish store since all have mediums have mycorrhizae. And I have some GWhite for potting up. Says it removes chlorine and chloramine from water. Is that true? (Before I harm mycorrs in any more medium.)

The Hab and Bonnet Family:

Bahamian Goat (Greg/PIC1 and Grant/JungleRain)
Brazilian Starfish (Judy/Pepper lover)
Chocolate Habañero (mine)
Elongated Black Hab (Refining Fire)
Habajolokia Brown (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye)
Jamaican Hot Chocolate (mine and seed saved from Pia/Sanarda, others)
Jamaican Red Hab (mine 2013 from Walkgood 2012-2013)
Jamaican Red Mushroom (Refining Fire)
Peach Hab (Jason/GA Growhead)
Red Squash/Mushroom (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Scotch Bonnet Brown (Judy/Pepperlover)
Scotch Bonnet Long (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet Market (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA red (Greg/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet MoA yellow (Steve, Ramon/Walkgood/PIC1)
Scotch Bonnet TFM (mine)
White Hab Stinger Pod (Paul G)
White Habañero (Jeff/Bodeen, Jason GA Growhead)

The Supers and some super new to me:

7 Pod Brown x Naga (mine from 2013 from Jamie/Romy6 2012)
7 Pot Chiguanas Yellow (Shane or Chris/Cmpman and JUDY!)
Barrackpore (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Bhut Orange Copenhagen (Jason/GA Growhead)
Black Naga (JJJesse and Pia/Sanarda)
Bonda Ma Jacques (mine)
Bubblegum 7(Pia/Sanarda and Jason GA Growhead)
Burgundy 7 Pot (Jeff/Bodeen seed)
Butch T (Refining Fire and Judy/freebie—THANK YOU JUDY!)
Butch T Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Choc Bhut x Yellow 7 F5 (Grant/JungleRain (and some other seed of this as F3 in 2012)
Chocolate Barrackpore (Jason/GA Growhead)
Chocolate Bhut (Judy/plover THANK YOU!)
Chocolate Moruga (Refining Fire)
Daisy Cutter MA Yellow (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Douglah (mine/Jamie Romy 6 from 2012)
Fatalii White (Greg/PIC1)
Fatalii Yellow (mine)
Funky Reaper (Scott/Devv)
Goat’s Weed (Shane/ Judy)
Jay’s Peach Ghost Scorp (Jason/GA Growhead/Hillbilly Jeff)
Madballz (Jamie/Romy6  and Jason/GA Growhead)
Maldivian Orange x Pimenta de Neyde F2 (Stefan)
Monster Naga (probably same as King Naga, Judy/pepperlover)
Naga Tabasco (Grant/Junglerain)
Orange 7 (Judy/Pepper lover, freebie!)
Orange Primo (Romy6/Jamie)
Orange Thai (THANK YOU JASON! GA Growhead!)
Peach Bhut (Judy/pepperlover, Ramon/Walkgood, Jeff/Hillbilly Jeff)
Pimenta Elisir Bhut x Neyde (OBNursery/Buckeye)
Red Jonah (Jamie/Romy6)
Red Thai (sample seed)
SBYellow x Yellow Brainstrain (Meatfreak/Stefan)
Sunrise Scorpion (Jason/GA Growhead)
Trinidad Scorpion Red (Romy6/Jamie 2012 seed)
Trinidad Scorpion Sunrise x Trinidad Scorpion Chocolate (Kevin/Wayright via Junglerain)
White 7 (Jason/GA Growhead, Jamie/Romy6)
White Bhut (Ramon/Walkgood)
Yellow 7 Giant (mine and Jason/GA Growhead/Judy)
Yellow Bhut (my seeds from 2012/Hillbilly Jeff 2013)
Yellow Bhut x Primo (Pia/Sanarda)
Yellow Brainstrain (mine/Judy)
Yellow Jonah (Grant/Jungle Rain)
Yellow Moruga (mine)
Yellow Primo (Jamie/Romy6)

The Southwestern/Tex Mex:

Pasilla Bajilo (mild, sample seed and mine)
Poblano (mild, sample seed and mine)

The Seasoning and Standbys:

Big Jim Numex (sample seed and some other company)
Biker Billy (Old Barn Nursery/Buckeye Pepper)
Cayenne (mine)
Cracked Jal/Jalapa (mine)
Giant Jalapeño (mine)
Gochu (meatfreak/Stefan)
Hawaiian Sweet Hot (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Jal M—(mine)
Purple Jalapeño (Old Barn/Buckeye)
Serrano Tampequino (mine)
Sweet Pickle (meatfreak/Stefan)
Tabasco (mine)
Urfa Biber (meatfreak/Stefan and Old Barn/Buckeye)
Yellow cayenne (OBNursery/Buckeye)

The Seasoning:

Aji Limon (my seed)
Brown Egg (Jason/GA Growhead)
Fish (sample seed)
Georgia Black (Jason/GA Growhead)
Hurrikan (Pia/Sanarda)
Peruvian Serlano (Jamie/Romy6)—hope these become sweet and fruity like pods Jamie sent
Tobago Seasoning (Judy/pepperlover)
Trinidad Perfume (mine)
Trinidad Scorpion Sweets (Jason/GA Growhead)
West Indies Hab (Pia Sanarda)
Yellow Bouquet (Kevin,/Wayright 2012, 2013 my seed)
Yellow CARDI (mine from seed)

The Bells:

Big Berth Hybrid—4 to order from CCN because don’t want to mess with them
Gypsy hybrid—2 to order from CCN because don’t want to mess with them
Lilac Hybrid—2 Ibid
Super Heavyweight Hybrid—2 Ibid
Sweet Banana hybrid—2 Ibid

My Brain:

Think I'll plant it, when it explodes, where it can get sunshine at roots . . .

Tomatoes, not listed. Many nons, not listed. Back to the "brain" thing.

Aight, well, I lost my thought, the well guy called as soon as I started typoing. At least he wants to come by....and tomorrow! Not anxious to spend 10k! BUT...gotta have water

So...trying to get back on track here...

Impressive list, and I'm ready for the 2014 glog!

Devv said:
Aight, well, I lost my thought, the well guy called as soon as I started typoing. At least he wants to come by....and tomorrow! Not anxious to spend 10k! BUT...gotta have water

So...trying to get back on track here...

Impressive list, and I'm ready for the 2014 glog!

If I were looking at 10k for a new well, I couldn't think, speak, type, text, grunt but could only sh**t (a lot) or go blind, Scotty. I hope ya don't have to go there! But unless ya wanna draw it from a "sprang." How deep is your existing well, sweetie? I do pray ya don't have to go another one!

I'm ready for the glog as well. I think!

maximumcapsicum said:

Nice list Annie! Can't wait to see some hooks! How will you be propagating them?

Thanks, Adam! In 6 pack cells with PMix BX and FF Lt. Warrior, after overnight soaks in H202 and KNO3. On heating mats with digital thermometer--set that up yesterday--all is well. So far! But was pretty meticulous about clean-up as stuff was hardening off.

JJJessee said:
That list should keep 2014 plenty warm.
Set a tote or barrel on a downspout and swear off on city water. We seem to be getting plenty of rain. Still.

Reckon we're getting "plenty of rain. Still."? Yeah, was pretty dry last early winter. Not that cold either. This is proving to be a tad different--COLDER--and if didn't have leaves, might as well use OFAlmanac for ole timey a-wipe, on their long-term weather predictions. How off was that last year? Well, on downspouts . . . noo . . . that was a project ex didn't want to go for in back. Woo-woo: gutters and downspouts? Not. So, my bro was not using his rain barrels. (Idea his wife had for him to spend money and not keep them up.) I'm just sitting them, open in the back and so far, they collecting. "What about roof-run-off?" I don't care and not much in it since new roof. Am predicting a dry spring and summer. But I can't be used for possible repurposing of OFAlmanac if wrong on prediction. ;)

PaulG said:
Annie, that is quite an ambitious grow list, girl.
You need to clear LOTS more space!

THINK, so, Paul? :rofl: Yeah, I know gotta clear more land. Now the question becomes: do I want to go raised beds or not. I'm on the "not" side so far! It's not expense of raised beds but expense to fill them. That much space? But more I look at property and see trees gone, more I see small greenhouse catty-cornered . . . not this year. As am going to have some expense in this project. But want to leave space for it.

And thank you ArksawJohn for emailing me some discount coupons! Now, somebody has to give me an argument for raised beds. WAIT! I could use jugaloneated black walnut for sides of beds! :shocked: As JJJ says, "Njeanyus." :crazy:

Penny said:
Oh Annie....if you went with raised beds, you'd love them ;)

Oh, Penny! I have 3 now! But filling 150' by 50' with them? Well, shave off some for GHouse location maybe next year. I do love the three I have! But the expense is the initial filling. Topping them back off is piece of cake. But my mother said same thing. Of course, my mother chuckles when I limp, too . . . where's Ocean's 11 and 13 when ya need 'em? I might do a few for garlic. Gotta jet and get ready for cord firewood delivery! :dance:  (Friends don't stack but since gift, that's just fine!)

Dang, girl, that snow pic with lights was beautiful; it was 17F when I got up this morning. Burrr. How in world do y'all do it! After 10 years in Austin, TX, my bod can't readjust to here. Peace, hon!

Back