• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

contest VOTE! Curry Throwdown

Vote for your favorite CURRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• keybrdkid - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37842-begin-curry-throwdown/page__st__120#entry

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • SumOfMyBits - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37842-begin-curry-throwdown/page__st__140#ent

• HH81Betterhalf - [url="http://thehotpepper.com/topic/37842-begin-curry-throwdown/page__st__140#

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Hot Pepper

Founder
Admin
This may be my favorite TD yet. Not only is it one of my favorite foods, but when I posted that you have to make your curry from scratch with individual ingredients only, there was not a complaint in sight! You took the challenge head on, and then some, posting up recipes any restaurant would be proud of! To the non-curry experts, KUDOS for working outside of your comfort zones... and now, to those that said they can't stand the smell of curry, I bet this changed your minds! Your kitchens must have smelled heavenly.

Please vote for your favorite curry or curried dish.

I only got to glance at these, curry is so complex this will take some reading, but everything... I mean everything looks AMAZING!

Good luck.

everything... I mean everything looks AMAZING!

I agree. I've said that in the past, but I was probably lying so no feelings would get hurt. This time I mean it. For real. Seriously. Everyone's dish looks and sounds awesome! I almost entered, but I'm glad I didn't. I would have only tainted the awesomeness. Voting will not be easy.

I am wondering if this TD thread should be pinned. I have gone back to investigate and research other's flavors and different spice combos, just to loosely plan my next curry dish.

I learned so much this go around. Thanks for the good call on Curry Boss, and thanks to my competitors for sharing your knowledge, experience and recipes! I think we covered the globe!

Great Job.

I would like to give Boss a +1 on the Randeng. It actually wasn't bad. May like it more once the baby has vacated. :)

Also I have to say this will be a close competition because yes everyone rocked it out of the park!!!!

Very intense and fun!!! :D

God almighty, everyone outdid yourselves - I am full from dinner and I would happily gluttony away if I had any of these dishes in front of me. I might snort a couple of times will doing my best "Footlong Faceoff" (utensils are overrated)

The curry pizza was quite an 11th hour entry - wow. Sum & Pic rolled in like thunder.

Imma need some time to eyeball digest these. Re-read the ingredients. Pic's use of lobster & squid has my interest piqued outta the gate. Yum.

Been staring at these for the last 5 hours. A bit of a curry snob here, so minor things helped me rule some out, even though they were all amazing.

PIC 1. I have to go with yours. Dry toasting the seeds for the aromatic oil release, and choosing bright floral fresh and dry herbs and spices instead of some of the more exotic perfumey ones, as to not overpower the seafood. Sounds fresh, light, and fragrant... letting the seafood shine. The curry gave it a beautiful color. The step by step process shows you know what the hell you are doing. Homemade sambal to dollop on top, and a Singha to cool the tongue brings me back to Thailand where I ate seafood with my toes in the sand and was also drinking Singha. The flavors sound amazing, and the presentation is spot on (except for that hair on top of your money shot shrimp lol).

Well done!

Thanks Sum for your kind words on my pics :party: Probs took more photos for this TD than any other (total of 4 finished and 14 others).

Woohoo got a vote, thanks TheFanMan :)

They all looked very good and after some very hard decisions I voted for deathtosnails

yay someone voted for me :D

I decided to show "Doc" in Jamaica some love in return for his kindness to Scovie - got my vote! :woohoo:
That is truly awesome. Also, I happen to be in the middle of a semester's study on the cultures of the Caribbean, after having previously studied some of the cultures of the Upper Guinea Coast of Africa, where many of the slaves brought to the Americas came from. Yams/sweet potatoes were a staple of many of the ethnic groups in Africa, and continued to be on the Caribbean islands. So from top to bottom, Scovie's dish did it for me!

Been staring at these for the last 5 hours. A bit of a curry snob here, so minor things helped me rule some out, even though they were all amazing.

PIC 1. I have to go with yours. Dry toasting the seeds for the aromatic oil release, and choosing bright floral fresh and dry herbs and spices instead of some of the more exotic perfumey ones, as to not overpower the seafood. Sounds fresh, light, and fragrant... letting the seafood shine. The curry gave it a beautiful color. The step by step process shows you know what the hell you are doing. Homemade sambal to dollop on top, and a Singha to cool the tongue brings me back to Thailand where I ate seafood with my toes in the sand and was also drinking Singha. The flavors sound amazing, and the presentation is spot on (except for that hair on top of your money shot shrimp lol).

Well done!

Thanks Dan,
Great idea having a "Curry" TD. I enjoyed throwing some heat on the table here. Takes me out of the growroom for a bit.....
That's prett "hardcore etiquette".........on the beach in Thailand having some of the fineast food that L.A...CHI..or N.Y. can't duplicate
ingredients alone.
Now I have to back and look at the money shot..............hah

ok, I woke up at 06:00 today thanks to Sat/Sun farmer's mkts programming my stupid brain to wake me up panicked that I was 15 mins late (stoopid brain!) so that I couldn't go back to sleep, so I spent the last hour reading up on these.

I have to say it again - best TD yet since I joined THP. The remarkable part to me is the level you all took this to in terms of authenticity and presentation - as I went entry to entry I could imagine these all being served at a restaurant as part of a massive feast. Everything would work - and anyone lucky enough to be there would be in food heaven. Even the curry pizza, while perhaps not an "authentic" ethnic dish would fit right in for the flavors and textures.

This was a very, very hard vote to decide. Like THP, I am a HUGE curry fan. Thai is maybe my favorite of all ethnic foods, and I love all of the curries...yellow, green, red, musaman, etc, etc, etc.

And ordinarily the seafood dish would be unlikely to grab my attention ahead of the others - but in this one it did. Excellent use of preview pics to walk me through the preparation, terrific shots of the ingredients, and the seafood looked totally fresh and delicate. The seasonings used to compliment were perfect. And I am a total slut for Thai Basil. It is a flavor that I rank high in my preference list, and combined with the squid and lobster - man. It was a little shocking to me that I found myself going back to Pic1's entry again and again - I really like what DTS did with the Vindaloo, JayT's dish was on point too. Scovie's wings looks excellent, and while a different style than most here it sounded fantastic. Sum had a pretty awesome entry too and I think that was my "close second", though it's almost a tie with Megamoo. Mega's overall thang was tremendous, but I wasn't sure if I was voting on the dumplings or the curry or what - I would dive into that meal head first and never look back though - hell of a job Mega. I liked Stick's dish too, but again - almost too many things going on there. It looks like an awesome meal though! HHBH's beef curry pizza was an amazing and innovative dish and I really wanna taste that! I hope when I make it up to the PNW later this year she's willing to bust that out. heh. ColoradoRonin's was a sneaky good looking entry. More subtle and looked like an Afghani dish I get locally at a kabob place. keybrdkid's dish is something I wish I had in front of me right now for breffast, but wasn't as photogenic as the other dishes - that's a tough one because I'm sure it's delicious.

But in the end I kept coming back to this picture:

2703eef2-e5c2-441f-9a43-61ec7ce94705.jpg

And of all the dishes here, this is the one that looks like I ordered it in my favorite Thai place, with the Sing Ha I would of course be drinking - with a fresh Sambal, just like I'd get at Thai Garden, served with a simple white rice on the side (to soak up all of that ridiculously delicious looking curry). I couldn't stay away from this - I am positive the red curry compliments the seafood beautifully, and all of that Thai basil would add the perfect flavor to top it all off.

Pic1 - you hit it out of the park. The winner of this TD is going to get some mad bragging rights, and in my book that's you. Well done. :cheers:

Congrats to all on a spectacular TD.

Things might be different for contestants if we were able to taste each dish, but dis be da interWebs and dis ain’t no »» foobar2k ::: Nirvana - Incesticide (1990) - 11 - Mexican Seafood ::: 0:10/1:55 (••••••••••) ::: 390 kbps «« … contest it’s Curry Mon! That said, I had to go with Greg’s "Thai Basil Red Curry......Medley."
Because:
  • I love seafood
  • I love red curry
  • Chili-based Sambal sauce looks great!
  • I own stock in Boon Rawd Brewery ;) lol, na actually love the stuff when doing Thai
  • Of all the curry’s red is my favorite followed by green and then yellow which I mainly use for rice or chicken.
  • Plating & pictures
Great job Greg \o_

Edit: Whoa Scott very diplomatic, you might make a great politician ;)

Edit: Whoa Scott very diplomatic, you might make a great politician ;)

lmao - many would disagree. :rofl: I rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way in the early TDs (my dislike of mushroom anything shined brighter than my praise for the dishes...)

But as it stands, in here all praise was well deserved. I am 100% honest with my feedback - if I don't like something I certainly won't blow smoke up anyone's arse (except Scovie, but he tips 30% for that)
;)

lmao - many would disagree. :rofl: I rubbed a lot of folks the wrong way in the early TDs (my dislike of mushroom anything shined brighter than my praise for the dishes...)

But as it stands, in here all praise was well deserved. I am 100% honest with my feedback - if I don't like something I certainly won't blow smoke up anyone's arse (except Scovie, but he tips 30% for that)
;)
Not sure I should say touché as I was only joking :party:

This was the first throw down I read through and wow! Amazing work everyone. I've never tried cooking curried anything and was curious - this thread was like grad school level stuff, amazing. And Scovie, actually cold calling a random cook in Jamaica? I loved it.

Well I'm super stoked and honored to have been able to participate in this TD.

With only 10 entries, the diversity of each recipe is crazy.
Everything from meat dishes, vege dishes as well as seafood.
Just about every angle covered.
I've read each recipe probably like 4 times trying to digest the spice combos..Feeling a bit curry drunk.
I'll definitely have to do a few of these up in the near future.
Thanks all for sharing your love of the curry!

PIC 1's dish did it for me. I would be happy to eat that every day for a month. I wish I knew of a Thai joint that served that. Whenever I order curry with seafood, the seafood is gone in 5 bites, and I'm left with a bunch of "other" stuff. Not that the other stuff isn't good, but I usually leave disappointed because I didn't get my seafood fix.

DTS was a close second. I probably would have picked it if this TD was earlier in the winter, but I've had my share of hearty dishes by now and I'm craving fresh seafood.

I loved this TD. Got me in a store that I've been meaning to check out, and it's seriously within an 1/8 of mile of my house. I spent a lot of time in there, more than I should have, just checking out their products. Awesome place. Thank you THP for getting me out of my comfort zone! I needed that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back