• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What to do about these *BLASTED* spider mites!?!

HwyBill

Banned
Got a bad infestation of spider mites. They already trashed a couple of my over-winters, and now they are getting into all my yearling plants! :rolleyes:

I spray down one plant (Ortho Flower, Fruit & Vegetable Insect Killer), but it seems like just about the time I get one plant cleaned up, they appear on two more.. ugghhh.

What to do?

The plants are all still inside, it will be about two more weeks before I can go outside with them here. Will taking them outside (i.e. hence out of the confines of the bad infestation) help matters? Maybe some good critters will show up and wipe them out?

Signed,

Desperate in Chicago

Getting them outside and spraying them with a water hose a few times has seemed to fix the spidermite problem on my dudes, but I might have just been lucky.

It couldn't hurt to take them out and spray them off every day or two. Maybe if you are hardening them off to the sun you could spray them off each day right before you bring them back inside? It would at least dislodge the ones hanging on currently and slow them down.

Douglas,
I read the page on their site for the product you are using HERE and did not see spider mites listed but that doesn’t mean that product doesn’t work with them. I would switch to spraying mineral oil or if you want a name product, Ortho’s Volck Oil Spray does the trick, same site read HERE. This latter product is like 89% mineral oil but the key is that you see both spider mites and mites listed on the front page versus what you are using. Good luck with the mites, they can be beatten :)

If this stuff doesn't kill them, they can't be killed. ;)

http://www.gardentech.com/sevin.asp

S2002SevinRTUQT_HR.jpg

If this stuff doesn't kill them, they can't be killed. ;)

http://www.gardentech.com/sevin.asp

S2002SevinRTUQT_HR.jpg

That might kill things that will eat spider mites, but the spider mites themselves won't be bothered.

http://www.ipm.ucdavis.edu/PMG/PESTNOTES/pn7405.html

"Spider mites frequently become a problem after applying insecticides. Such outbreaks are commonly a result of the insecticide killing off the mites’ natural enemies but also occur when certain insecticides stimulate mite reproduction. For example, spider mites exposed to carbaryl (Sevin) in the laboratory have been shown to reproduce faster than untreated populations. Carbaryl, some organophosphates, and some pyrethroids apparently also favor spider mites by increasing the level of nitrogen in leaves. Insecticides applied during hot weather usually appear to have the greatest effect, causing dramatic spider mite outbreaks within a few days."

Sounds like they might even like it!

my brother told me before that you can make a spray to kill spider mites. he said something about using hot peppers and simmering them in water and them spraying. i'm not sure if there were other ingredients. maybe look up cannabis growing and search for an organic spider mite cure.

Yep Bonide will pretty much kill anything on your plants good and bad. I usually try to leave that as a last resort since it will kill the good guys too.

Well if your good guys are not takin care of the bad guys then who cares.

Once I sprayed i have not had any issues since (knocks on wood).

Mites suck because you cant really see them until they start causing damage.

Well if your good guys are not takin care of the bad guys then who cares.

Once I sprayed i have not had any issues since (knocks on wood).

Mites suck because you cant really see them until they start causing damage.

They may not be taking care of the mites, but they could be keeping other nasties at bay.

i use abamectin for mites. works like a charm. ive dealt with spider mites on several ocassions along with red mites and broad mites i think.
i mix it up at about 2ml/gallon with 1ml of surfactant. spray every three days three times total. if they are not all dead do another round 1ml/gallon.

the surfactant REALLY helps the product stick to leaves, without it you are wasting alot as it will just drip off the leaves.

http://www.ebay.com/...=item19db5bc4cb

I used Bonide Mite X last year because of spider mites. I battled them with all kinds of different sprays and treatments to no avail...until I found the Mite X. It killed them the first application and I didn't have to treat them again. I did have to order it online because I couldnt find anywhere local that had it.

http://www.horticulturesource.com/bonide-bonide-mite-x-quart-p8660/

This is where I ordered mine (and just about anything else I ever need)

Anyways, this stuff worked for me

This stuff should be very effective for killing all sort of pests: Mix 0,5 dl of pineoil, 0,5 dl of ripeseed oil and 1 litre of water. While spraying the stuff, be sure to shake the container that contains the mixture, because oil tends to rise to the surface.

I had a Thrips infestation with my chilis and got rid of them for good using the mixture above. Pineoil and water mixture alone did not work, adding the ripeseed oil seemed to do the trick.

That might kill things that will eat spider mites, but the spider mites themselves won't be bothered.

http://www.ipm.ucdav...TES/pn7405.html

"Spider mites frequently become a problem after applying insecticides. Such outbreaks are commonly a result of the insecticide killing off the mites’ natural enemies but also occur when certain insecticides stimulate mite reproduction. For example, spider mites exposed to carbaryl (Sevin) in the laboratory have been shown to reproduce faster than untreated populations. Carbaryl, some organophosphates, and some pyrethroids apparently also favor spider mites by increasing the level of nitrogen in leaves. Insecticides applied during hot weather usually appear to have the greatest effect, causing dramatic spider mite outbreaks within a few days."

Sounds like they might even like it!

Interesting. I didn't know that. Sevin has worked to kill any insect infestation I have ever had. It is the miracle insecticide. I had no idea that it didn't work on mites.

Thanks for all the recommendations.

However, despite all the varying advice, it doesn't look like there has been any sort of consensus reached.

Is this just sort of a "spray and pray" sort of situation?

Can anyone comment on whether moving them from the mite infested house to the outdoors will help at all?

It helped my plants, but it really depends on predatory insects being in your garden to take them out. I think some of the products those guys recommended would be a good idea if you don't mind using pesticides.

It's really up to you on that. I personally don't use pesticides, but if you do now probably isn't a bad time considering the good bugs don't tend to live well inside anyway.

Use Dicofol, or if you don't like pesticides you can buy some Phytoseiulus persimilis who will "fight" them. You can also give a shower to your plant, because Spider Mite hate water.

Since these mites are doing their best to destroy my crop, I'm not opposed to any potential solution which might help to alleviate this plague.

I'm planning to go outside in about two weeks (i.e. away from my mite infested apartment).

Between wind, rain, and the potential for natural predators to join the fight... what are the chances that natural conditions will resolve the issue?

Thanks for all the recommendations.

However, despite all the varying advice, it doesn't look like there has been any sort of consensus reached.

Is this just sort of a "spray and pray" sort of situation?

Can anyone comment on whether moving them from the mite infested house to the outdoors will help at all?
Since these mites are doing their best to destroy my crop, I'm not opposed to any potential solution which might help to alleviate this plague.

I'm planning to go outside in about two weeks (i.e. away from my mite infested apartment).

Between wind, rain, and the potential for natural predators to join the fight... what are the chances that natural conditions will resolve the issue?

ok idk about the rest of the people posting here ... but I DO indeed have alot of experience dealing with mites. i have several large pine trees around my home that seem to harbor spider mites, so i get them atleast once a year.

Abamectin sprayed properly, WILL kill them all off 100%.
depending on how severe your infestation is you may need two rounds of spraying. you must use mix with distilled water, and imo a surfactant is a must as well, although thats debatable i suppose. abamectin will degrade in direct sunlight so spray in the evening with as little wind as possible. try not to over spray... try not to allow the spray to drip off the leaves.

abamectin is a local systemic. it essentially soakes into leaf tissues... they feed on said tissues and they will die within a few days. it WILL NOT kill eggs, hence why you MUST spray more than once. i highly reccomend the three sprays i mentioned above. this will ensure 100% coverage across there life cycle. the mode of action will last at least 3 weeks in the worst of cases. in my case i get away for more like 9 weeks before they reinfest.

if you have a super light infestation just go with the 1ml/ gallon. very bad go with 2ml/gallon

if you search the forums ive talked about abamectin several times here.

its possible i suppose... that moving them outdoors will atleast alleviate the problem... however in my case they are all super infested outdoors. ive had to toss TOMATO plants due to infestations that were un noticed in neglected plants.
they can make an amazing mess of your plants in just a few weeks, spinning webs all over the place.

i grew hops one year that were spider mite magnets, WITH spraying they came back 3 times. i think it all just depends you know? every year is different with different pests and different predatiors.
ive come never depend on nature, and only myself.

Back