• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

smoking Skippy's Sweet Key West BBQ Sauce

SadisticPeppers

Business Member
I'm hoping this is the right part of the forum, so THP, feel free and move it if I'm in the wrong area...

Anyways, I finally bottled up my first batch of Skippy's Sweet Key West BBQ Sauce. Here's some pics of the process:

Here's the start of it, I found a generic base BBQ sauce (tomato puree, white vinegar, molasses, worchestire (sp) sauce, and a dash of hickory smoke flavoring, mustard, kosher sea salt, and onion & garlic powders), and I added in some agave nectar, and a mix of key lime and pineapple juices...
IMG_4737-vi.jpg

Cooked the sauce under a low-medium heat for approximately an hour...
IMG_4739-vi.jpg

Bottled the sauce while it was still hot and had a low viscosity. All bottles washed with anti bacterial agent and heated dry
IMG_4740-vi.jpg

Ended up with 22 12-ounce bottles of the sauce, and a partial 12-ounce bottle that I'll use as a sampler for my local friends here.
IMG_4742-vi.jpg

I'm letting them cool down right now, and will begin labelling the bottles as soon as I can put in the order next week!

Yeah, it is nothing short of awesome. I guarantee you, if I hadn't gotten it, I would still be bottling the sauce

Husker21 said:
Elcap where did you buy the bottler? Care to share what you spent on it?

It's called Handy Filler, and I spent about $399 on it. Well worth the price! They have different add-on's and stuff for whatever you need @ http://www.handyfiller.com

JayT said:
Sauce looks and sounds great! I love a good Caribbean BBQ sauce.

The sauce is amazing. Not quite as thick as most BBQ sauces, but my mom loves it, and uses it as a dip for pretty much everything. I still have a few bottles available for sale if you want some :) PM me!

Brain Strain Pepper Head said:
Wow that looks good.....how HOT is it. I love full flavor and HOT. What peppers did you use?

It's up in the first post but here you go: "Here's the start of it, I found a generic base BBQ sauce (tomato puree, white vinegar, molasses, worchestire (sp) sauce, and a dash of hickory smoke flavoring, mustard, kosher sea salt, and onion & garlic powders), and I added in some agave nectar, and a mix of key lime and pineapple juices..."

No peppers in this one. I decided to make it without any peppers specifically for those (read: most of my family) that can't handle even remotely spicy food. Besides myself, maybe one or two people in the family can tolerate spice in their meals.

elcap1999 said:
No peppers in this one. I decided to make it without any peppers specifically for those (read: most of my family) that can't handle even remotely spicy food. Besides myself, maybe one or two people in the family can tolerate spice in their meals.
Blaahhh, no peppers   Wimp!....just kidding       Hey, you havta impress those you Love with your hobby before you impress yoself.
Kuddos to you, wink   wink :shh:          BTW, nice lookin sauce.   I'll bet its good on EVRYTHANG!

elcap1999 said:
youre in the next town over just about im in lox. i might have to come use your bottler lol.

elcap1999 said:

It's called Handy Filler, and I spent about $399 on it. Well worth the price! They have different add-on's and stuff for whatever you need @ http://www.handyfiller.com

The sauce is amazing. Not quite as thick as most BBQ sauces, but my mom loves it, and uses it as a dip for pretty much everything. I still have a few bottles available for sale if you want some :) PM me!
 also what seal material did you get or whats the best?

LOL :)

I used shrink-bands on mine to seal the bottles. Also, I made sure to bottle the sauce while it was still hot, to create a bit of negative pressure in the bottle,  so as to avoid anything from getting in after being sealed.

Has anyone found the most economical way to ship those 12z bottles?  If someone were to buy just a single bottle of sauce?  It won't fit in a small flat rate box.  Do they sell small boxes for 1 bottle of sauce?

I haven't seen one yet for single bottles, but thus far ::knocks on wood:: I've had good luck shipping the single bottles in the SFRB's. The MRFB's easily fit in six with peanuts for shock absorption.

Back