• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Carolina Reaper confirmed the world's hottest pepper

From Ed's facebook

"Fort Mill, SC, November 14, 2013 – Guinness World RecordsTM has notified Smokin’ Ed Currie and Puckerbutt Pepper Company, LLC, that its’ SMOKIN’ ED’S CAROLINA REAPER® is officially the world’s hottest chili pepper.
From its email notification, Guinness said:
“[w]e are delighted to confirm that you have successfully achieved a new GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS title for ’Hottest chili’. We would like to congratulate you on your record-breaking achievement. You are OFFICIALLY AMAZING. Your official GUINNESS WORLD RECORDS certificate confirming your world record is being created and will be sent to you within ten working days.”
With a Guinness-submitted 1,569,383 SHU (scoville heat units) average and recently measured peak levels of over 2,200,000 SHU, SMOKIN’ ED’S CAROLINA REAPER® has officially completed its long journey to the top of “super-hot” chili charts."

jePN2ko.jpg

Well he payed enough for it, If someone give me $10,000 and I would declare there pepper is the World Record too!

dragon49 said:
I saw this on FB - Why doesn't Guinness list the proper name - The Carolina Reaper?
LOL I didn't see that so the Reaper isn't the hottest it's a Naga/habanero that is. ;)

dragon49 said:
I saw this on FB - Why doesn't Guinness list the proper name - The Carolina Reaper?
That's the part I was wondering.  Technically, it should say "Smokin Ed's Carolina Reaper" but instead listed the cross.  Could this be a sign in fact of it being a lesser generation than the supposed F8? Possible it's from samples he sent a long time ago?  According to those guys he has been sending stuff for quite a while now. 

I also wonder why the website hasn't been updated yet?  I doubt it's fake at all.  Don't think he'd risk everything over fake documents.  I would think guinness would want to update the site asap though.
Mr. Hill said:
Well he payed enough for it, If someone give me $10,000 and I would declare there pepper is the World Record too!

LOL I didn't see that so the Reaper isn't the hottest it's a Naga/habanero that is. ;)
I don't guinness would take a bribe lol

you are correct who knows.

well i know two simple things

the only sweet habanero there is, is Zavory and never heard/seen, any Nagas come from Pakistan. Actually Pakistani pepper are most if not all are  C.Annuum and C. Frutescens. never seen a C.Chinense from Pakistan .

i could be wrong 

or officially wrong  ;)

Browning said:
I don't know enough about the genetics of peppers to really comment on this one :)

The credit goes as the follow:

First credit goes to the sweet Habanero which met the Pakistani Naga in Ed's greenhouse to deliver the baby "reaper", which grew up to become BIG and Bad using promotions and adds then had its name listed by the chili Goddess "Guinness" 

anyways whats for dinner? 
Mr. Hill said:
All I can say about it's genetics is Naga/Hab but has a TS stinger, Can't have what it's genetics don't carry so where the Stinger come from???

the stinger came from a Primo 

it is official and it is not a primo, I wasnt aware a primo averages 1.5 mill and peaks at 2.2 mil..oh yea..it doesnt (it was tested)
I also grow thousands of each and can say for 100% certainty they are not the same pepper. Is a black naga and chocolate bhut the same? How about a moruga and brainstrain (red or yellow). shall I go on because I can name quite a few chile peppers that "look" the same.

the name on the "sample" isnt going to be on the final doc he gets in 10 days. The Official name is (and always has been) Smokin Eds Carolina Reaper which he also just got the official trademark for this past week. 

There will always be doubters and there will always be those who gawk at those that have actually done something very unique. So be it.
I have the official documents from them in my inbox directly from them. It is legit and it is the record. Ed will have the official document in 10 days and I would assume in that same time frame the Guinness site will be updated accordingly. 

oh and I had to edit for the comment about what he paid Guinness for the record.
1. Do some fact checking..you dont Pay them for any record of any type, they are the record keeper, nothing more. They dont do the testing
2. IF you choose to pay them money they will expedite the fact checking process but that is all
3. A lot of money was spent yes, but that was on developing, growing and testing for many years.

and FYI..the heat from this is the same that it was last year when it was announced he had the hottest. The record took forever because there was a lot that went on with Guinness behind the scenes that your not aware of that hindered him "officially" getting it. It had nothing to do with the data or the pepper. It is and has been the hottest since it was released last year

Back