• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Roots dying in DWC, help!

My roots are dying in my DWC and I'm not sure why..... is my water not oxygenated enough?  What is happening.... any help is much appreciated.  They look healthy up top.....  pics to come (posting in 2 minutes from cellphone)  

lxr7.jpg

aqw3.jpg

kue2.jpg

Pic 1 shows lots of new healthy roots. white fuzzy roots are what you should be looking for. 

I would suspect not enough O2, but without more details, it is hard to tell. 

My air temperatures seldom break 80 so I don't think my water is any hotter than that.  The roots in pic 1 might look white and fuzzy, and they are above the water line, but lower than that they are browning out....  as of yesterday I've been using 35% h202 at a dilution of 3 ml/ gallon.  I have another bucket using an airstone similar to what you linked but it's happening (though not as bad) in that one too.  I'm afraid maybe my pumps aren't good enough....

I would say its the air stone. Do the roots feel hard? Soft? Do they break off when you touch them? They don't look slimy. Has this plant always been a hydro plant or a soil to hydro?

I use two air stones in my dwc, both of which are 5 inch discs. That air stone you are using seems to be pushing bubbles towards one end of the root ball rather than all over the bucket.

Mind you though my roots also look like yours. My plant was a soil to hydro plant.

This looks like pythium. Clean your reservoir and all instruments with hydrogen peroxide and add hydrogen peroxide to your nutrients.

I've been adding hydrogen peroxide (35% @ 3ml per gallon) for the past two days, do you think that is enough to combat it? Is there anything else I can do?

Nope peroxide won't kill it if it's root rot aka pythium. You can use ewc tea or by some hygrozyme. I had it when i grew the good herb and it's a bitch to deal with and sspreads. It comes from rez temps over 72° and not enough dissolved oxygen. With the hygrozyme you can get away with a little higher water temps but not much. Ditch those air stones you are using aand get some 2" round air stones.
Also clean everything you can with bleach it will kill pythium.
http://www.123ponds.com/pt1623.html?gclid=CLWV8vK9tbsCFVBgMgodrgkAHg

rebelgrower3 said:
Nope peroxide won't kill it if it's root rot aka pythium. You can use ewc tea or by some hygrozyme. I had it when i grew the good herb and it's a bitch to deal with and sspreads. It comes from rez temps over 72° and not enough dissolved oxygen. With the hygrozyme you can get away with a little higher water temps but not much. Ditch those air stones you are using aand get some 2" round air stones.
Also clean everything you can with bleach it will kill pythium.
http://www.123ponds.com/pt1623.html?gclid=CLWV8vK9tbsCFVBgMgodrgkAHg

This.

Last time i had root rot i got some hygrozyme and cleaned my stuff extra good and the issue went away.

Do my roots look to have any similar problems? When I have a look in the res I can see little pieces of broken away root. Its been in hydro for about two weeks now, it was in soil for about 2.5 months

Sarge said:
Do my roots look to have any similar problems? When I have a look in the res I can see little pieces of broken away root. Its been in hydro for about two weeks now, it was in soil for about 2.5 months

Your roots look good there will be little bits in the bucket no worries. If it were me I'd be running hygrozyme and you won't have to worry about it any more.

I had major problems like this with both pythium and cyanobacteria. I would recommend you flush it well, give it a nice h2o2 treatment, flush it well again, then add an enzyme product such as hygrozyme or cannzyme (what I use) along with beneficials. The benes are the key. Since I've added them Ive havent had any disease problems (and I didn't increase air at all). Look for "aquashield" and "great white" - those two are good on there own but it you make a tea with worm castings too you'll be golden. 

illWill said:
My roots are dying in my DWC and I'm not sure why..... is my water not oxygenated enough?  What is happening.... any help is much appreciated.  They look healthy up top.....  pics to come (posting in 2 minutes from cellphone)]
Oh yeah another thing. Has you pH been weird lately? For example does it keep going up or down for no apparent reason?

illWill said:
I'll have to try that. And honestly.... I only check ph when I refill the reservoir lol
Monitor for drift. If it drifts, which way it goes can be a major clue to what your problem is.
After the stuff I mentioned in the last post, I'd suggest monitor it at least 4 times a day if at all possible. Write down the date time etc and lets take a look 3 days later. Move fast though, if it is one of these things and the leaves start to wilt you've pretty had it

I was going to suggest maybe giving them a hair cut. The thing is though if those roots are dead because of bacteria, its just gonna spread. I'm down in Australia, I can't find hygrozyme, but that stuff looks like the stuff you need. There is nothing wrong with trimming roots, its risky though since the roots which are still healthy are in small numbers. Have you tried adding more oxygen? Another of those air stones and run it on the opposite side of the bucket.

My pump is a 400LPH unit twin channel so 200 per channel. I run two air stones in the one bucket and from now on I will be oxygenating my future water changes. I got a new PH probe today. Originally I was on 6 with litmus paper. With the probe I'm on 6 to 6.1.

80F translates to what, 26C. My bucket has never peaked over 24.4C. Does your bucket smell at all?

My plant feels soft, a little wilty. Not sure of the cause, ph is good, roots look good, temps are good, ppms are now upped to 599. Other than the roots though, your plants look brilliant.

I don't think its oxygen just because the bucket its the worst in has thw most oxygen (2 1/2 gallon bucket with 2 airstones)
My bucket does smell kinda funky. Like a cave. Lol. My grow room never gets hotter than maybe 80... ya don't suppose my water is somehow hotter than the air

Yeah mine smells like a damp wet cave too haha. Right now my bucket is at 25.5, air temps are 29c outside. Water in a contained environment has no way to cool down, eventually it can heat up to the ambient temperature. Ontop of that as the pump heats up, the air being pushed into the bucket is at temperature too. I bought a little electronic temp sensor off eBay a while ago. I now dropped the probe the water and have full time monitoring.

Wait for someone to chime in about trimming the roots. How much nutrients do you use?

Back