• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Your up and coming crosses

With the 2014 season starting up strong for a lot of us, and that buzz of excitement in the air of what to come one thing comes to mind more than anything for me, and that is cool or interesting crosses were wanting to try or hoping will sprout and make us some nice pods

I for one am excited for my Brainstrain x Primo as well as my Brainstrain x Reaper seedlings to make me some pods, just to see how they taste! My other that I am hoping is just awesome which will be an F1 is a 7 Pot Brown x Brainstrain and 7 Pot Brown x Primo. I don't know if anyone has tried these crosses yet so we shall see!

So my question is what are your crosss you cannot wait to see pod up, or what crosses are you hoping to make! There's gotta be hundreds out there! Let's hear em'

I am sure I will attempt several, but right now as a definite.
Red, yellow, chocolate and peach bhut jolokia X pimenta de neyde

I would like to see the variations in taste and appearance of the different jolokia crosses.

Scorpion x chocolate hab and a couple others that I've promised not to advertise because they aren't my creations. :)
That brainstrain x reaper sounds brutal!

HP Bhuts have such awesome flavor anyway that that cross would be great! Check out junglerain.com au for some cool but crosses. Not trying to promote anyone but they have some awesome bhut crosses. I'm about to plant their douglah x bhut jolokia Assam cross.

impending - Oh yeah I'm sure it will be, its not a cross of mine I got it off a member here Brain Strain. But once they pod up ill be sure to send you some!

I've been thinking of crosses I'm going to make in 2014 all day. I'm most excited by my 7 pot Jonah x pimenta da Neyde F2s and (7 pot Jonah x pimenta da Neyde F1) x Trinidad Scorpion F1.

For this season I'm doing many crosses. I'll be trying to cross capsicum baccatum with c. eximium for a potential bridge to the annuum complex, but I have no idea if it will work. I'm also going to see if rocopica will cross with c. baccatum and do some c. eximium x c. pubescens crosses. I'll also be mixing various c. baccatums with c. chinese. That's quite a bit of work this year. Next or if I have time this season, I'll be working on c. galapagoense x c. annuum as well as, c. frutescens, c. chacoense, and c. praetermissum. I've decided to see what the limits of interspecific hybrids are, if it's possible to take the pubescens complex to the annuum complex or vice versa. I didn't explain in detail what I'm doing, but I'm excited about it. If c. baccatum and eximium can't cross maybe another will.

Some pretty cool crosses! I'm a fan of the Brainstrain, Primo, and Reaper and those crosses you have there are pretty sick! Especially the Brainstrain x Reaper.

Will definitely be following this thread!

Trinidad Scorpion x Chocolate Habanero :)

scorpion-x-habanero.jpg

I dont have any certain crosses... but I am planting a whole field with seeds from specimens of my best pods from last year in hopes of *finding* a cross or two... I will select from any crosses I do find... grow those out next year... and repeat the process for the rest of my life XD    Who knows where the rabbit hole will lead?!  If you are interested, you can check out pics of each of my experimental pods in my glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44131-noah-yates-2014-glog/

Noah Yates said:
I dont have any certain crosses... but I am planting a whole field with seeds from specimens of my best pods from last year in hopes of *finding* a cross or two... I will select from any crosses I do find... grow those out next year... and repeat the process for the rest of my life XD    Who knows where the rabbit hole will lead?!  If you are interested, you can check out pics of each of my experimental pods in my glog: http://thehotpepper.com/topic/44131-noah-yates-2014-glog/
Sounds good, but if you end up with something amazing how will you know who crossed with who? 

I may call it Arco iris muerte, if I can get the bugger to take.
Bolivian Rainbow (fast podder and prolific) and Carolina Reaper (flavor and heat).
Chinense and Annuum are supposed to be partially fertile in the F1, but my 2 year old first retail generation Reaper (from original seed offering) is notoriously picky about setting pods.

Thanks for those seeds Brain, they are coming up great! Have 7 seedlings right now!

impending_bending said:
That would be awesome!
I would make sweet lovin' to the ground you walk on

I'll send you some my friend!

LawrenceJ2007 said:
HP Bhuts have such awesome flavor anyway that that cross would be great! Check out junglerain.com au for some cool but crosses. Not trying to promote anyone but they have some awesome bhut crosses. I'm about to plant their douglah x bhut jolokia Assam cross.

impending - Oh yeah I'm sure it will be, its not a cross of mine I got it off a member here Brain Strain. But once they pod up ill be sure to send you some!
The cross is not a new one by any means. It produces what is called a pink tiger.Can be seen here. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/43175-pink-tiger-seeds/

I have never had one, and the only way I can see to getting one to try is to cross and grow my own.

Ah ok man yeah I have heard of that one just didn't know that's what it made! Good luck with the cross. 

I've heard they are nearly as hot as a bhut. The one Bhut I really want to try is the JR Chocolate Bhut Assam from Jungle Rain, it just looks mean to me. 

Back