• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Cooking with nerve gas!!!

Not sure if this has been discussed before  but when cooking with chillies the whole house has to be abanndoned with everyone coughing their guts up because me or  the mrs is frying chillies. They seem to give off some kind of fumes that makes you cough like mad!!!!

Is there anyway to avoid this ( other than don't fry your chillies )

and our some chillies worse than others ?

You could...

A) Cook outside.

B) Instead of a full on fry, try a medium saute with minimal oil or butter or other fat.

C) Keep a lid on it.

D) B & C together.

E) Drink about 8 beers before starting to cook and then you just won't care.

Most chile's regardless of heat level as per capsaicin, have the characteristics you described when cooking. Bringing down the temperature of the cook and cooking slower works for me.

You can cook the chile's as I described and set them aside, and cook your other dishes in the normal fashion and then add the chile's back in.

Cook outside. ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha ha a.. I live in England mate. It rains every day here and if it doesn't rain it means we'realready flooded.
I don't want soggy chillies :rofl:

Joking aside, are some chillies worse than other for fumes ?

sidewinder said:
Joking aside, are some chillies worse than other for fumes ?

The hotter the chili, the worse it is. I don't know what you used, but if you've ever sauteed a superhot, that isn't' something you will be eager to try again without proper ventilation.

LIke JHP said.

But keep in mind many exhaust fans don't actually vent anywhere at all. 

They simply suck up the smoke and filter it through a screen.

If you've got an exhaust that vents to the outside, that's the ideal.

Myself I don't really have such issue's.

texas blues said:
LIke JHP said.

But keep in mind many exhaust fans don't actually vent anywhere at all. 

They simply suck up the smoke and filter it through a screen.

If you've got an exhaust that vents to the outside, that's the ideal.

Myself I don't really have such issue's.
Mine exhausts to outside, should have been more clear. That is the prime reason my neighbors stalk my house when I am cooking!

Back