• This is the place to discuss all spicy commerical products, not just sauce!

Dave's Insanity vs Blair's Ultra Death

So I have both of these sauces and have been using them for awhile now. Internet states that Blair's UD is 800k Scoville whereas Dave's is 250k max. Does anyone else feel like Dave's Insanity feels appreciably hotter than ultra Death? I would say it feels 1.5x hotter.

P.S. 

I would say that Ultra Death has a smoother burn and better flavor. Daves feels and tastes more like a wicked hot Tabasco sauce.

From Blair's line of hot sauces I've only had "Sudden Death". It's certainly not the hottest thing I've had. The heat is up there, but I find that once it kicks in it just seems to -stay-. After having had Ghost Peppers, Reapers, Naglah's, etc, I find Dave's Insanity to be mild as hell. Nice bit of heat at first, but I find it dies off quickly... I actually prefer Dave's Insanity. To me it doesn't taste like Tabasco at all (I can't stand Tabasco lol).

Everyone is a bit different :)

Super Hots Canada said:
From Blair's line of hot sauces I've only had "Sudden Death". It's certainly not the hottest thing I've had. The heat is up there, but I find that once it kicks in it just seems to -stay-. After having had Ghost Peppers, Reapers, Naglah's, etc, I find Dave's Insanity to be mild as hell. Nice bit of heat at first, but I find it dies off quickly... I actually prefer Dave's Insanity. To me it doesn't taste like Tabasco at all (I can't stand Tabasco lol).

Everyone is a bit different :)

Ha ya. I find Blairs Ultra to be pretty mild if I do a teaspoon vs a teaspoon of Daves there is no contest, Dave's is clearly hotter to me. So weird how different tastes are.

I agree with hottoddy, extract sauces I think are garbage compared to the non ones. I find if I use a lot of the extract sauce I get a terrible extract after taste, which ruins it for me.

I used to buy Blair's Mega Death (which I believe is hotter than UD) fairly routinely back in the early 2000s. That guy made quite a name for himself almost soley on marketing alone. We all did the tradeoff of metallic extract taste for cheap endorphin buzz. That stuff was always more about the novelty of competitve eating than it was for actual cooking.

Both Blair's and Dave's found the niche chilehead market basically wide open when they started. There were no superhots like Bhuts or Scorps, so it makes sense they turned to extract as a way to crank the heat up. I'm no fan of extract either. We all have the luxury now of superhots naturally doing the heavy lifting for SHU in sauces.

I'm guessing Blair and Dave have had to reinvent themselves to keep afloat in a much more crowded market today. I'd be interested to see if they have any natural sauces in their lineups.

I know Blairs has natural sauces. The ones i have tried have been very good which was quite a shock as i was used to his gut melting extract sauces that tasted like discarded nuclear waste.

Nova said:
I know Blairs has natural sauces. The ones i have tried have been very good which was quite a shock as i was used to his gut melting extract sauces that tasted like discarded nuclear waste.

^^ This. Love the Blair's original Death sauce (as a milder sauce), but the extract sauces like Mega and Ultra death are bad bad bad. I keep a mostly full bottle of MegaDeath on hand just to torment guests who think they can handle the heat....

Give me a good ghost/scorp/reaper sauce any day over the extracts.

Scoville DeVille said:
Extract sauces.

Why.
ie- There are other options.

HopsNBarley said:
Hey!!!!!! Who are you to judge?
Maybe some people like the taste of fermented octopus ass mixed with burnt cardboard.
And those folks can continue to eat whatever tastes like fermented octopus ass mixed with burnt cardboard.

For the rest of the world.............options~...
DrUnK said:
So I have both of these sauces and have been using them for awhile now. Internet states that Blair's UD is 800k Scoville whereas Dave's is 250k max. Does anyone else feel like Dave's Insanity feels appreciably hotter than ultra Death? I would say it feels 1.5x hotter.

P.S. 

I would say that Ultra Death has a smoother burn and better flavor. Daves feels and tastes more like a wicked hot Tabasco sauce.

Pure Evil is 1.5mil SHU and has no flavor~  

just sayin~

Hum... Maybe I'll get some hate for that, but... I enjoy extract sauces too. Don't get me wrong, I do love natural sauces, but from time to time I'll take some Beyond Death, Dave's Ultimate Insanity, MadDog 357, etc, and I'll like it. I don't "hate" the extract taste.

Sorry for liking a lot of things.

I was worried about you making an apology for something that effects absolutely no-one else, then remembered that you are a Canadian.

Carry on!

One thing i would like to know though, have extracts ever made you wish you were dead? I.e. stomach pain so severe you would kill a puppy to make it stop?

Nova said:
I was worried about you making an apology for something that effects absolutely no-one else, then remembered that you are a Canadian.

Carry on!

One thing i would like to know though, have extracts ever made you wish you were dead? I.e. stomach pain so severe you would kill a puppy to make it stop?

I made a burger the other day with 3 tbsp of ultra death mixed in and then 1 tbsp raw over the top of the cooked burger... I was fine at the time but 8 hrs later I was in a kind of fetal position on the toilet puking and having the worst gastro cramping ever, followed by 2 hrs of diarrhea. I was puking because of the pain and felt like I was going to pass out... I haven't eaten much spicy stuff since then as I am not sure what caused it... Idk if the meat was funky or if it was literally just extract. 

UrbanNoir75 said:

Both Blair's and Dave's found the niche chilehead market basically wide open when they started. There were no superhots like Bhuts or Scorps, so it makes sense they turned to extract as a way to crank the heat up. I'm no fan of extract either. We all have the luxury now of superhots naturally doing the heavy lifting for SHU in sauces.

That's a good point. Both started when superhots were not around in the US. I think the hottest sauces at the time were habanero based, so the only nuclear option was via extracts. Today, it's a different story. I know a lot of food fenders (gourmet popcorn, BBQ, wingsauce) who continue to use Dave's in their hot products today. Like the craft brew world, I bet the craft hot sauces will continue to slowly chip away at the market share of the big players.

Scoville DeVille said:
Yeah. I'm sure the meat was funky. :rofl:

So I was kinda of wondering if that reaction is normal to extract or super hot stuff? Or do you think it was really something else? Cuz if that's really because of cap I don't think I can go on lol! I had eatin some raw habs that week and didn't have a problem but when the burgers came into play shit got bad.

Back