• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Heat without the "Chinense"

[SIZE=medium]Hello Chilli aficionado’s, would appreciate some suggestions.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I like to eat fresh chilli’s and have grown up eating mostly common Thai varieties. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]Have recently been introduced to the world of superhots and have tried Orange Habs, Yellow TS Cardi and a 7 Pot Jonah. All were much hotter than the Thais I am used to, especially the 7PJ. [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium]I really enjoy the heat level from these, but they all have, to my uneducated pallet, a strong common and dominant flavour ( Chinense Flavour ?? ). [/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]Would appreciate any suggestions of types of chillies that have this degree of heat, or close to, without that strong “Chinense flavour”.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=medium]I am currently growing the following, Yellow Datils, Fatallis, Brains, Carolina Reapers, TS Butch T’s, Peach Ghosts, Chocolate TS, Yellow Scotch Bonnets – all Chinense’s. Do any of these have less of that strong dominant taste ??[/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]
[SIZE=medium] [/SIZE]

I'm by no means an expert, and I've never grown them...but I think Rocotos (Pubescens) are up there for heat level. Along with some of the Aji's, which are Baccatum.

yeah grab an aji lemon drop and aji amarillo.

the yellow / peach varieties are supposed to taste less strong. get a yellow 7pot and scotch bonnet moa. I think most will still have chinense taste.

The hot paper lantern is a chinense habanero variety that does not have that flavor at all. That is why I like it and grow it every year. For Superhots, any of the naga varieties (ghost pepper types) won't have that flavor either.

Dynebag said:
I'm by no means an expert, and I've never grown them...but I think Rocotos (Pubescens) are up there for heat level. Along with some of the Aji's, which are Baccatum.

While all those are great peppers without the chinense flavor, they aren't even up to hab heat.

OP: Of the peppers you are growing, the Reapers and Butch Ts are will have the least chinense flavor.

Jeff H said:
The hot paper lantern is a chinense habanero variety that does not have that flavor at all.

+1 for paper lanterns. Good fruity red habanero flavor with almost none of that typical floral hab taste. Good choice. Really prolific, too.
     I would bet they're about half or three quarters the heat of other red habaneros, though. Caribbean reds light me up, but paper lanterns never seem all that hot.

Naga Morich/Dorset naga & Bhut jolokia. Less perfume in the taste. However they will still not conform to the annuum/frutescens perhaps "smokey" or "savory" taste you are probably used to. Sorry to say but chinense peppers generally don't taste as good, ranging from slightly fruity to potpourri. The red savina being the hottest least disgusting tasting chinense, IIRC, still not a super hot though.
Maybe one day there will be a nice tasting super hot....

Avoid chinenses that's it.
Nagas are nice enough but still they can't compete with elite annums for everyday meals IMHO.
Dig some crosses, 7pot x c. frutescens i've grown this year is very very hot without that boring chinense aftertaste. In the next season i won't grow any pure chinense, i don't care the superhot craze any more.

Good luck

Datil

Jamaican Hot Yellow has some heat (c. annuum,150k-200k) and no distinctive flavor. Taste is fruity, annuum-like and little earthy/green.

Ahh, the dreaded Chinense skunk.  (I actually thought I might've sensed it mildly recently in a watermelon; maybe that compound or those esters, essences, flavours, phenols, volatiles or whatever get around, or maybe I'm sensitized.)

Has anyone who was initially put off by this essence become more tolerant of it through continued tasting?  Is acclimation accomplishable?

Keep growing and trying different Chinenses since they don't seem to be all alike in skunk-dunking dosing.  Ají mochero/Limo (meaning, "one who comes from Lima" . . . nothing to do with lemons) in yellow shows the essence mildly up front, but this dissipates quickly leaving a long, long, pleasing heat.

2u4muj6.jpg

In annuums, you might look into Tasmanian reds and black Cobra/goats' weed in addition to various pequins and tepins

_____

The strain of chocolate habs I've been growing seems to be milder on the skunk and plenty hot on heat.

And in a rare agreement (in tone and delivery) with Willard, I'll second that Chiltepins/Pequins/Whatever is growing wild in my yard right now has a decent punch.

As he and others have said, *sometimes* rocoto/manzanos have been pretty warm for me. And they are also, IMO, some of the best tasting hot peppers you can eat. I love them.

Of course, a well-abused Cayenne type can get close to some chinenses to my palate on occasion. I got hold of some large sweet cayennes from a local farmer's market a couple of weeks ago that were brutally hot (and caught me off guard - which is always nice :)).

Good luck in your search!

The reapers I grew definitely have a strong smell when you cut them open, I guess I would say floral, it's a very distinct smell to me, but once you make something with them it's not an overbearing flavor or anything to me, I think I like it

If not for the dreaded ¨chinense skunk,¨ I wouldn´t be here.  Before I got hooked on Habs, and decided to seek out more esoteric chinense varieties, i was content to buy the most common annuums, in fresh and dry form  from local markets to make incredibly pedestrian sauces and dishes.  If not for the beguiling & unique scent and flavour of chinense, i would not have been inspired to grow chiles and obsess over them on the Worldwide Interwebs.  

Love it or hate it, the distinctive character of Capsicum chinense that we all know so well, but struggle to adequately describe, in undeniably magical.  I´m always confounded by these posts by folks who are looking to avoid it.

My wife thinks chinense smell like rotting fruit.  Makes her gag and run outside.  I think matching peppers with food is kind of like matching wine.  Some things just dont go.  Chinense on nachos with cheese, no way.  With sweet n sower or pineapple dishes, I love them.  Chinense in the sauce of a pineapple pizza is great. 

Back