• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Shorerider's oven roasted nuts.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I've been roasting my own nuts (except for when my wife does it...Ha.) for a few years now. They are by far much tastier than anything I have found, and are probably a lot healthier too as most ready to eat nuts are processed in some sort of oil.

I buy all my nuts raw except for Pistachios which I buy salted, and add AFTER roasting and salting the raw nuts. My mix contains 2kg Peanuts, 400g Cashews, 400g Almonds,  300g Hazelnuts, and 300g Pistachios. Mix and match nuts as you please but this is my mix.

20141111_180057.jpg

Place the nuts in a deep baking dish as a single layer so that the heat will be transferred evenly. Deep dishes make it easier to turn and move the nuts around without them spilling off the sides. Flat trays will work but aren't as practical.

20141111_190853.jpg

Place in an oven at around 160deg Celsius and set a timer for EVERY 10 minutes to remind you to check them. Every oven is different so start with a lower temperature if need be to ensure that the nuts don't burn. Be mindful that some parts of your oven are hotter than others and gas ovens heat differently to electric. Once you've done this a few times you'll figure it out. 

Because nuts contain oil, they WILL burn easily, especially Cashews. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!!!

Check them every ten minutes and move them around a little so that the heat is distributed evenly and they brown equally. 

The browner they are, the more of a roasted flavor they will have so taste test and remove from the oven when you are happy.

Warning: warm roasted Cashews are unbelievably delicious!!!!!

Allow to cool to room temperature. I remove all the brown husks from my Peanuts and Hazelnuts by hand which takes time,  a long time.........but it isn't necessary. To do this, I gently roll the nut with my fingertips and squeeze a little until the husk comes free.

20141117_081716.jpg

20141117_082909.jpg

20141117_082954.jpg

Once done I add salt powder. Yes, powder. The fine salt particles stick to the nuts without having to add anything else. You can make salt powder by grinding down any salt you may have lying around. I use sea salt, rock salt in a mortar and pestle. Stir through with your hands to ensure an even coating of salt. Add salt to taste.

20141117_083617.jpg

Once salted, you can then add your favorite Chilli powder. I did some with some of my smoked Cayenne powder (below right) and some just salted. Don't forget to wear your gloves when mixing your Chilli powder through. 

20141117_084622.jpg

Store in an airtight container. 

Best enjoyed with your favorite alcoholic beverage. 

Enjoy, and eat responsibly. 

SR.

I never even thought about the danger of them catching fire... "Whew!"... thanks for that! Potentially quite nasty. A timely warning.

Your presentation is so straightforward that anyone viewing it could not only do this -- they could verbally walk anyone else through it over the phone, like a pro... AND warn them about that fire hazard.

Imagine doing this just before you invite company over, with those aromas... it'd be like baking bread, then inviting folks over for a hot sandwich.

Thanks guys, once you've had these nuts everything else tastes ordinary. 

Mikeg, the nuts won't catch fire as such, just go black like burnt toast. All I was trying to say was that if left unattended they can get burnt instead of being golden brown. 

You're right though, the smell in  the house while you are roasting the nuts is great! 

SR.

Back