• Blog your pepper progress. The first image in your first post will be used to represent your Glog.

Peter's 2015 Glog

I've started germinating a few seeds for 2015. I'm using the wet paper towel in sandwich bag method for the first time. For each seed type, I soaked the seeds in 3% hydrogen peroxide for one minute, then rinsed before putting on the paper towel. I've got all the bags in a plastic box, sitting on a germination heat mat. I put a half plastic egg carton on the bottom so they won't get too hot.

lOzX5Xtl.jpg

WKujPRVl.jpg

6scGcmcl.jpg

It looks like a few of the seeds have something white poking out. These are ajijoes Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero and Pepperlover's Mustard Moruga Scorpion. 

0Ib0kThl.jpg

KJkBPjbl.jpg

I started them on 12/19. I'm going to move any germinated seeds to cups containing Fox Farms Light Warrior. This will be the first time using this as well.

RK3Tna3l.jpg

Here's my, as of now, grow list. Most of these are from Pepperlover, a few from Buckeye Peppers. Two are from ajijoe, one from Dollar General.

7 Pot Brain Strain Yellow
7 Pot Bubblegum
7 Pot Primo
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate - Buckeye Peppers
Aji Cito
Aji Habanero
Aji Verde
Albanian Red Hot
Aleppo
Bahamian Goat - Buckeye Peppers
Bell of Lebannon
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Brazilian Star Fish
Brown Moruga
Buckeye Butchlah - Buckeye Peppers
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero - ajijoe
Cinnamon Bell
Cumra Cherry
Devil's Heart
Devil's Horn
Dorset Naga
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Elephant's Ear
Farmers Jalepeno
Fatalii White
Hot Banana
Hot Fingers
Hot Tomatoes
MOA Scotch Bonnet
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Orange Habanero - Dollar General
Paper Lantern
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper
Red Maraba X - ajijoe
Sula Adana
Sweet Cow Horn
Trinida Scorpion Moruga Yellow

------
A few more added later (edited in on 2/9/15)

Peach Congo
7 Pod Congo SR Gigantic
Rosemary Pepper
7-Pot Chaguanas
Cherio Roxa
CGN 20800
CGN 21500
7-Pot Lava
Bhut Jolokia, Peach
7-Pot Mad Ballz Red
Fatalii, Yellow
7-Pot Brainstrain, Red
Butch T Scorpion
--------

What I've started germinating so far is:
7 Pot Rennie Chocolate
Albanian Red Hot
Bahamian Goat
Bhut Jolokia Red
Bhut Jolokia Yellow
Buckeye Butchlah
Chocolate Habanero
Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero
Devil's Heart
Ecuador Red Rocoto
Mustard Moruga Scorpion
Pineapple Rocoto
Reaper
Trinida Scorpion Moruga Yellow

There are a few others I'm going to start early, but wanted to test this germination method first. I'll start the rest sometime next month.

I put all the seeds that had tails in dixie cups tonight, 8 total.
3 Chocolate hand grenade hab
3 Mustard Moruga Scorpion
2 Bahamian Goat

This is the first time trying it that way, hopefully I did it right. I made a 1/4 inch indention in the top of the soil mix, and careful moved each seed using a toothpick, then lightly covered. I've got the cups in a plastic container with the lid off, but a ziplock bag enclosed around it, on the germination heat mat. The soil is lightly moist, but it shouldn't dry out with the bag. As soon as they pop out I'll remove from the bag.

I went to Lowes today and bought a 5-tier wire shelving unit for 59.00. It's 74in x 48in x 18in. Also got two more 4-foot t8 fixtures and lights. I haven't tried yet, but I think I can fit two of those side by side on each shelf. I like the utility of this, as I can adjust the hight for each shelf as needed, and can hang lights, and clamp things, etc... 

I potted all the seeds that had tails a few days ago. There close to ten more that have tails now, need to put cups. Of those that I potted, eight have sprouted from the soil mix, or have hooks coming up. These are Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero, Mustard Moruga Scorpion and Bahamian Goat.

70Nbbeul.jpg

One of the Hand Grenade Habanero sprouts.
GbsmRfXl.jpg

One of the Mustard Moruga Scorpions has helmet head. Hopefully it'll push it off soon.
9lfrlHRl.jpg

I agree with everyone great list and looking good so far.Am interested in knowing how the HAND GRENADE HABS TURN out.Good luck too you this season.
I agree with everyone great list and looking good so far.Am interested in knowing how the HAND GRENADE HABS TURN out.Good luck too you this season.

Peter S said:
I potted all the seeds that had tails a few days ago. There close to ten more that have tails now, need to put cups. Of those that I potted, eight have sprouted from the soil mix, or have hooks coming up. These are Chocolate Hand Grenade Habanero, Mustard Moruga Scorpion and Bahamian Goat.

70Nbbeul.jpg

One of the Hand Grenade Habanero sprouts.
GbsmRfXl.jpg

One of the Mustard Moruga Scorpions has helmet head. Hopefully it'll push it off soon.
9lfrlHRl.jpg
You gotta help that helmet head out, man! 

Hello.  Nice list.  Nice to see someone else who uses the paper towel method.  That's the method I have always used with great success.  Good to see you have a barrier between heat mat and box, you can cook the seeds pretty easily without that.  I keep a cheap thermometer in the box with the bags to make sure they aren't getting too warm.

Devv said:
I agree, a great list.

Good luck this season!

mpicante said:

heefy said:
A nice list and a good start.
Thanks!

jcw10tc said:
Hello.  Nice list.  Nice to see someone else who uses the paper towel method.  That's the method I have always used with great success.  Good to see you have a barrier between heat mat and box, you can cook the seeds pretty easily without that.  I keep a cheap thermometer in the box with the bags to make sure they aren't getting too warm.

Thanks. This is the first time using the paper towel method, and I like it a lot. I'm going to drop a thermometer in there to see what it actually is. It seems warm, but not too hot when I open it. The bottom would be too hot, so the barrier helps. I was going to invest in a thermostat, but this seems to be working well enough so far.

PaulS said:
Looks really good.
I'm looking forward to seeing your shelving system up and running :)

It's working out great! I can fit two 4ft shop lights per shelf perfectly. I went ahead and made the shelf I'm using first taller, so I won't have to adjust later. 

This isn't a great pic overall, but you can see how I've started using it.
kyHXzMLl.jpg

WsIs9nLl.jpg

Peter S said:

It's working out great! I can fit two 4ft shop lights per shelf perfectly. I went ahead and made the shelf I'm using first taller, so I won't have to adjust later. 

This isn't a great pic overall, but you can see how I've started using it.

That first picture isn't working for me?

It looks great in the other picture. There is room for loads more seeds! Get planting :)
I need to get a fan.

PaulS said:

That first picture isn't working for me?

It looks great in the other picture. There is room for loads more seeds! Get planting :)
I need to get a fan.
Thanks!

That first image should be fixed now. I was removing some duplicates from imgur, and took that one out by mistake. It was cached on my computer so I didn't notice it. Thanks for letting me know.

Peter S said:
Thanks!

That first image should be fixed now. I was removing some duplicates from imgur, and took that one out by mistake. It was cached on my computer so I didn't notice it. Thanks for letting me know.

Works fine now. It looks like there is even more space in the first photo! More seeds!! :)

Back